Who Cares?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Blighty

Who Cares?

Postby Blighty » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:17 pm

A very hot topic being currently highlighted by the UK media, is a crisis surrounding care for the elderly. Anyone with assets exceeding £23,250 is required to fund their own care - with an average cost of £1,000 + per week for a stay in a nursing home, and the quality of care questionable.
Nadra Ahmed, chair of the National Care Association says: “We are now beyond the crisis point. We really are at the edge of the cliff now.”

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ouncil-tax

I was wondering what the situation is in Greece/Crete.
Some quick research indicates that most Greeks either take care of their elderly relatives at home, or the Church provides places at care homes at their discretion, although some private care homes do exist.

But what about expats…………
Presumably, they would need to fully fund stays at private care/nursing homes in Crete?
Do many private care/nursing homes exist in Crete?
Do they cost more or less than the UK (€1,200 per week)
Would most expats elect to return to their home country to receive care or stay where they retired?

A lot of readers on this forum are retired, so the issue is quite relevant.
I’d be interested to read views about what plans people have in place if their health deteriorates to a significant level.

I anticipate some will say “just shoot me!”, but when your physical/mental health deteriorates, you are usually at the mercy of a decision made by someone else.

Kilkis

Re: Who Cares?

Postby Kilkis » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Blighty wrote:... when your physical/mental health deteriorates, you are usually at the mercy of a decision made by someone else.

So why worry?*

More seriously an ex-pat friend, who had previously worked in care homes in the UK, worked as a volunteer at a Church run care home here in Crete. He said if he had to go into care he would rather go into the home here than in the UK. Generally care homes in Greece do not have a very good reputation but it is dangerous to generalise. Personally, if I needed care I would try to find a care home here that would take me and that I could afford. If I couldn't then I would be forced to return reluctantly to the UK.

Warwick

* Why Worry?
In life there are always two possibilities. For example:
Today either you are well or you are ill.
If you are well, why worry?
If you are ill there are two possibilities; either you get better or you die.
If you get better, why worry?
If you die there are two possibilities; either you go to heaven or you go to hell.
If you go to heaven why worry?
If you go to hell you won't have time to worry you'll be too busy catching up with all your old mates.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:19 am

I can only quote my own experience, which may not be representative. I had to put my mother in the hands of a care home in Athens back in 2008. The quaintly named "Relax Palace". It was extremely civilised, clean, with good facilities, helpful staff etc. It would probably be considered more of a nursing home since it had quite comprehensive medical care. Nevertheless, it was nothing like as expensive as 1200 euros per week. I couldn't have afforded that. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact amount.

My Greek relatives were horrified that we were putting Mum into care. They gave me all sorts of dire warnings about the dreadful conditions I would be subjecting her to. After their first visit, they sheepishly told me they were amazed and impressed by the home.

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ZR9pw0mNg somewhat corny link shows something of what it's like.

I have no idea of what is available in Crete, but I'm guessing that there will be similar facilities, and they should be cheaper than Athens, which as I said, was eminently affordable.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:21 am

This is the Relax Palace web site. I don't really like Athens. Dirty noisy place but I reckon I could live in a care home like that.

A lot depends on how much care you need. βοήθεια στο Σπίτι is a service a bit like the District Nursing service in the UK. A trained nurse will come to your home to carry out medical procedures. The one that visited my late wife was accompanied by a helper who could also carry out household tasks and a person with psychiatric training who could help with psychiatric problems like dementia. They also arrange other help as needed, e.g. they found us a dentist and a dermatologist who would come to the home when my wife was not well enough to visit them. I am not sure on the limits of what they can provide but they are very helpful.

Another viable alternative in Greece in some circumstances is to pay a live-in carer. If you need frequent medical care this would be prohibitively expensive but if you only need help with everyday things plus the sort of medical care that could be provided by anybody, e.g. making sure you take the right tablets at the right time then it is possible and would be considerably less than €1,000 per week. I know people who have done it.

Just some thoughts.

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:59 pm

An elderly neighbour, returning home after 2 weeks in hospital, had a live-in carer. She was Bulgarian and came from an agency. She cooked, cleaned and provided the usual carer services. She was paid 100 euro plus board and lodge, for 4 weeks work! The agency also needed, their cut, but this care package appears to have been very cheap.

Blighty

Postby Blighty » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:44 pm

The average cost for private domiciliary care in the home from an agency in the UK averages at £17 (€20) per hour.

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:30 pm

Kilkis wrote:This is the Relax Palace web site. I don't really like Athens. Dirty noisy place but I reckon I could live in a care home like that.

Warwick
Nah, I care about you that much I would put you up here so you were closer. http://agkali.com/en/
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Blighty

Postby Blighty » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Looks very nice - much more attractive than what you get in the UK. - but what is the cost per week?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:01 pm

That's very kind of you Scooby. I have made a hard copy of your offer, in case it gets deleted from the web, and lodged it with my lawyer. I think it constitutes a binding contract.

Warwick

PS Get real. Look at the place. You don't really think they would let somebody like me live there do you?

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:42 pm

Kilkis wrote:That's very kind of you Scooby. I have made a hard copy of your offer, in case it gets deleted from the web, and lodged it with my lawyer. I think it constitutes a binding contract.

Warwick

PS Get real. Look at the place. You don't really think they would let somebody like me live there do you?
Glad you gave it to your lawyer because by then I will have power of attorney, and you can afford to go there (money talks). Of course I will have to visit regularly you know, just to make sure the pool is a nice temperature and the nurses are up to standard, I might even get time to pop in your room to see you before I leave :lol:
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Auntie died in the UK last month. She had been in a very nice small care home, (owned by a family friend), for almost three years. Prior to moving in, we had put carers in at home for her. Someone stayed from 10.00pm until 8.00am....but didn't need a bed. - They were supposed to stay awake in case Auntie needed to get up in the night, although we were happy for them to doze on the sofa. The carer got Auntie up before she left in the morning at 8.00am....helped her wash, dress, and got her breakfast.....and then she was on her own until lunch time, when someone came in for an hour and made her lunch. She was then on her own again until teatime, when someone came in for half an hour to get her tea. - A weeks care cost just over £1,000. (The carers did pick up some shopping and do her washing as well for that). In fact, the care home worked out cheaper, as although it was a few £'s more it gave Auntie 24/7 care with all her meals etc.

In the care home she had her own small room with an en suite and the use of a communal lounge and dining room, - but nothing like the place on Crete in the link! It would be interesting to know what their charges are!

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I know someone who resided in the nursing home near the law courts in Haniá. I believe that the cost was around €400 per week but it could have been less. The actual phrase used was "his pension just covered it". Of course I don't know what his UK pension actually was. (I don't want to divulge his occupation or any more details in case I upset his family.)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:52 pm

I've got a better idea, Scooby. We could get the local blacksmith to make us a double wheelchair and then get your missus to push us both round. Save us a fortune and if we both sat and dribbled think of the sympathy and freebies we'd get in the bars and tavernas.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”