Up to date info needed for the Hersonissos / Heraklion Area

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mackie

Up to date info needed for the Hersonissos / Heraklion Area

Postby Mackie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi everyone, what a great forum first of all and some fantastic knowledge by many of the contributors on here. Thank you for that.
We have been trying to read through as much of the information available as we can but most of what we found seem to be understandably geared towards the west / Chania area of Crete!
We are due to travel in 10 days back to Crete to complete the process of purchasing our new home in the Hersonissos area.
We have found some great information on here about property purchase, bank account, mobiles, internet, taxes, currency transfer and many other very useful bits.

A bit of background so you can understand the information we are looking for:
The property we are about to complete the purchase on has not been occupied for a few years and we are purchasing it from a Greek family who have a holiday home next door to us (they live in Athens).
We are initially looking for a local reputable builder to refurbish this property and making it habitable asap. Any recommendations in the Hersonissos area?
We are also looking for some basic furniture (good mattresses is urgent) / electrical equipments (a decent fridge is also urgent). Where is the best place to go near our area please? We are familiar with the north east of Crete.
We have managed to book a hotel local to our new home for a month and also hired a car for one month while we get settled but we need to find a small 2nd hand car also. Any up to date information to where is best to go for a car?
Also, we share water supply / meter with our neighbours and we would like to split this and have our own meter, where can we go for that near the Hersonissos area?

We are also looking to install new hot water system / solar panels. Anyone local to our area?

We are not new to Crete as my wife and I met and worked a couple of years on the Island 25 years ago when we were in our early / mid 20s. We have been visiting for short periods since but finally made an offer on our last visit in the summer on this property that was not even on the market but it's in the location we wanted and we just approached the owners and appointed a lawyer having read the info on this forum. We have been waiting for the kids to finish uni and finally decided to do it. We speak good enough Greek to get by initially but we need to learn to read it and write it. Again, any recommendations for winter classes in our area?

Any up to date info on the above or updates from people who have done this recently would be greatly appreciated. We would ideally like to have it habitable by March or April latest.

Sorry, too many questions but I am sure you will understand

Cheers

Mackie

Kathleen

Re: Up to date info needed for the Hersonissos / Heraklion Area

Postby Kathleen » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Mackie

Suggest you look at Praktika for Electricals and Mattresses they are close to the airport at Heraklion. If you are prepared to order and wait there is also Ikea who will order and deliver but that takes more time since the goods are shipped from Athens. To get to both, on leaving the airport turn right and continue towards Heraklion. After a few hundred meters you will see Praktika signposted turning off to the left. Ikea is on the same road, (without turning off) further down on the right hand side next to the BMW agency.The current weather and industrial action need to be factored in for their deliveries, however. Both stores have online catalogues.

I bought an ex hire car, Hyundai Atos, at the end of season, very reasonably (by Crete standards) from Auto Holidays (SK rentals) at Heraklion airport over a year ago. They were very good and fair to deal with but of course may not have availability at this time of year. Paintwork was the usual patch up job but it is a good runner and has only cost me two new tyres so far. They gave me a twelve month warranty on the engine which I though was more than fair it was also fully checked over and had current tax and MOT equivalent for two years. It sailed through its emissions test in September.

Sorry I can give no info specific to your area for the other matters but I am sure someone will be forthcoming.

Good luck, Kathleen

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Sorry, I can't help with advice specific to that area but I would ask your lawyer to check that all bills have been paid. On older property, it isn't unusual to find several months electricity/water and possibly several years property tax outstanding.

Warwick

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Kathleen, much appreciated
Great point Warwick about potential unpaid bills, I wasn't sure if they keep a deposit for such things or not. Thanks for your input
Mackie

Ros21

Postby Ros21 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:35 am

Hi Mackie,
I live about 18kms south west of Heraklion & have completed a complete renovation of my house within the last year. I can recommend the builder I used, & he also brought in the plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc. I know he will work in your area. My mobile no is 6972 383757, if you would like to give me a call to discuss this. Ros.

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:41 pm

Ros21 wrote:Hi Mackie,
I live about 18kms south west of Heraklion & have completed a complete renovation of my house within the last year. I can recommend the builder I used, & he also brought in the plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc. I know he will work in your area. My mobile no is 6972 383757, if you would like to give me a call to discuss this. Ros.

Will do, many thanks
Mackie

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:19 am

May I also take this opportunity to extend a welcome to Mr and Mrs Mackie, and echo their sentiments regarding this excellent website, to thank Carolina for running it, and to mention how delighted we all are that it is now back to its user-friendly best after recent "error" problems ... had us all a bit worried for a moment there.

Returning to Mackie's posting ( and now imminent arrival in Crete to purchase the house ) regards the Water Meter, unless your neighbour/seller or yourself has a swimming pool, a pet dromedary, or a non-recycling waterfall feature - the combined properties bill for the year shall probably be less than Euros 100 at current rates so no big deal, certainly "a drop in the ocean" compared to certain other points not being clarified before completion. One thought that occurs - the transaction appearing to be a purely private sale instigated by yourselves - is that the seller could possibly be quite innocently not aware of the required certificates ( some only necessary in recent years ) for the transfer of a property ... although your lawyer presumably is.

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks Ladies and Gents for the warm welcome and the great contribution which has made life easy first day in Crete.
Tax numbers in hand, Bank accounts open and now going through the legalities. We found out a little problem that we are working with the Notary to fix ( the owners got exited a little and over built so we are producing drawings with accurate measurements). Luckily we found great Civil Engineer and Lawyers, both educated in the UK and speak perfect English. Very impressed by both up to now.
Banking rules have changed again and will update in the right thread when I can. To open a joint bank account, you have to open two single accounts, transfer €10,000 each minimum and then once validated you get the joint one and you can transfer all to the new joint one.
Any money you transfer from abroad, you can transfer within Greece with no limit, withdraw 30% at bank, daily max is €700, weekly max is €840 (420 each).
Luckily, both the bank and Muncipality were empty so had no trouble up to now but it's early days. Just waiting to get joint account in a couple of minutes as the transfer has arrived and the lady is printing the cards.
Not bad at all for just over a day but the difficult bits are ahead!! Updating and legalizing both buildings and split the land and need to make sure I get the fig tree :D

Need to find a decent builder asap once I get the keys.

Thanks again, your contributions made our life a lot easier than expected up until now.

Return to “General Discussion & News”