EHIC cards - again......

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
YoMo2

EHIC cards - again......

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:04 pm

Has anyone else also received a letter recently from DWP suggesting they apply for an EHIC card? Note they are not asking me to renew the card I already have, (that expires in 2020); they have sent me an application form for a card. No idea why.

I suspect I'll just bin it. Have I missed some sort of change? (No Brexit jokes please.)

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Jeffstclair

Re: EHIC cards - again......

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:01 pm

No I hav'nt had a letter from DWP... is an EHIC card from the UK any use if you live here full time ? I'm confused ..not unusual these days ...jeff

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 pm

We have EHIC cads issued by the DWP that don't cover us here but will if we need 'emergency' treatment in other European countries, including the UK if/when visiting temporarily.

BST

Postby BST » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:40 pm

My EHIC covered me for an operation here last year which wasn't an emergency. It's down to the hospital whether they accept them or not.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:49 am

BST wrote:My EHIC covered me for an operation here last year which wasn't an emergency. It's down to the hospital whether they accept them or not.

I'm not sure it is completely up to the hospital whether they accept them or not? Has anybody tried going to a hospital and saying, "I live permanently in Greece. Is it OK to get treatment for free using an EHIC card?" I suspect, but don't know for sure, that people present themselves for treatment as a foreigner with an EHIC card and omit to mention that they live here permanently?

I've not been contacted by DWP, Andrew. Like Filippos, I have an EHIC card issued in the UK to cover me for treatment in other EU countries, including the UK BUT NOT Greece. I have an IKA book issued on the basis of an S1 form to cover me for treatment in Greece.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:03 am

So you don't you need a UK address to get a EHIC card ?.....I'm sure when I tried to renew mine on line in 2009 I failed 'cos I don't have a UK address...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:55 am

It depends. If you are a UK State Pensioner and get an S1 form from DWP, in order to get an IKA book, then the UK is also responsible for issuing an EHIC card. You cannot use the standard EHIC application form. You have to get a special paper form from the DWP - Overseas Healthcare Team and they will only give you that form if you have IKA registration. It may not be easy to get since the DWP - Overseas Healthcare Team believe that IKA has to return the second part of the S1 form back to them to prove you have registered and IKA believe that they don't need to. Push DWP.

If you are resident in Greece but don't qualify for an S1 form then you also don't qualify for an EHIC card. I suspect those Greek residents who don't qualify for an S1 form but that do have a UK issued EHIC card have used the UK address of a friend or relative to get it and gone through the normal application process.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Thanks Warwick , Yes I had a look on the website after my post ,and it all went well until I put in my address then the "The post code you entered is in valid "... At 63 last birthday I'm not getting a UK state pension just a tiny private pension... so I'll try again in 2 years ...jeff..

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:50 pm

Like you Warwick, I am covered by IKA as a UK pensioner. So my best guess is that DWP have just received the S1 from Greece, which has triggered their letter to me to apply for the EHIC for travel to other countries? Is this likely/possible............ It's nearly 4 years since I submitted the S1 to IKA, so I suppose that's about the right timing.

I may have to call them, although I prefer to stay under the radar........

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:12 pm

Yes, I guess it is possible, Andrew.

Originally, if you had IKA coverage through an E120 form, IKA were responsible for issuing an EHIC card. That changed several years ago, possibly when E120 changed to S1 but I'm not sure. The UK became responsible for issuing the EHIC card. I tried to apply using the normal form, which was on paper then, submitted to the normal NHS address. I got a letter back from DWP Overseas Healthcare Team saying that I wasn't eligible for an EHIC because I had been issued with an S1 but IKA had not returned the second part. This was about 2 to 3 years after I had registered with IKA. I spent over a year trying to find out why IKA had not returned the second part but getting nowhere. Eventually KEP managed to get a response from IKA saying that they used to return the second part under the E120 rules but they didn't need to return it under the S1 rules. I then wrote back to the DWP Overseas Healthcare Team explaining that I was piggy in the middle and what could I do. I also sent a photocopy of my IKA book to prove that I was registered with them. I eventually got a reply from the DWP Overseas Healthcare Team with an application form saying that they would try to sort it out directly with IKA and if I completed the form they would issue an EHIC card which they did.

If you have already been issued with an S1 form and registered with IKA then I think you are pretty much in the radar beam, locked and engaged. I am not sure how getting an EHIC can expose you any further?

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Kilkis wrote:...........If you have already been issued with an S1 form and registered with IKA then I think you are pretty much in the radar beam, locked and engaged. I am not sure how getting an EHIC can expose you any further?

Just a general comment really, but I'm sure you are right as far as this particular issue is concerned.

So my existing EHIC is not really valid anymore? Strange they don't spell this out in their letter. It would have made it all so much clearer.

So, to summarise.

A resident of the UK gets a card that is valid all around the EU except for UK.

A UK pensioner living in Greece and registered with IKA gets a different EHIC valid everwhere in the EU except Greece.

Both cards are issued by the UK.

What about UK citizens living in Greece, not working and not drawing their pension. Still slipping between the cracks unless they have private medical insurance? Also, what about my wife who is not yet of pension age? Can she get the "pensioner EHIC" as my dependent?

Andrew

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Andrew wrote "What about UK citizens living in Greece, not working and not drawing their pension. Still slipping between the cracks unless they have private medical insurance? Also, what about my wife who is not yet of pension age? Can she get the "pensioner EHIC" as my dependent?"

I am one of the" fallen through the cracks" , private health cover is the only option until my state pension comes on line.
If you have an IKA book your wife is covered 'cos she can be classed as your dependant ...as far as I know ..Jeff

BST

Postby BST » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:12 pm

I have a feeling hospitals turn a blind eye about where you live "permanently". I was never asked for an address here or in the UK by the hospital. After all, it's a nice bit of ready day for them. They could have put anything down on the forms to the NHS but I wasn't bothered.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 pm

BST wrote:I have a feeling hospitals turn a blind eye about where you live "permanently". I was never asked for an address here or in the UK by the hospital. After all, it's a nice bit of ready day for them. They could have put anything down on the forms to the NHS but I wasn't bothered.

In some ways, sadly, this is true. Can't be a***d is the answer. When the regulations about Greece submitting claims to the UK (and elsewhere, depending on nationality of patients) came into being it took our local Health Centre about 2 years to get to grips with filling out (by hand) the relevant form. In many ways, pragmatism rules OK here in Greece. So, you are a foreigner. You need treatment. Got an EHIC card? OK, never mind. we will deal with it all. End of story. Totally daft, totally inefficient and uneconomic, but at the end of the day you come out of it cured (hopefully). What's to grouse about unless you are, like me, a pedant?

bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

BST

Postby BST » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:39 pm

Actually I think it's a very practical and economic solution. I'm one person less on the operations long list in the UK and a Greek hospital gets money from the NHS for doing the job. Probably costing less and being cheaper than the NHS doing it. According to the EHIC small print, it was all perfectly legitimate.

Return to “General Discussion & News”