EHIC cards - again......

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
YoMo2

Re: EHIC cards - again......

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:...........If you have an IKA book your wife is covered 'cos she can be classed as your dependant ...as far as I know ..Jeff

Jeff, I am aware of this. I was asking if she would be covered by my "pensioner EHIC" for travel to UK and other EU countries where, obviously, we are not covered by IKA. Having telephoned DWP, I now know the answer. She will also qualify for her own card.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Have things changed? I thought any adult could obtain a card and for their children.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:50 pm

filippos wrote:Have things changed? I thought any adult could obtain a card and for their children.

I'm sure that is right for UK resident cards. I was just trying to confirm the situation regarding the cards issued to those living abroad. Which seems to be the same?

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:16 pm

filippos wrote:Have things changed? I thought any adult could obtain a card and for their children.

You can only get an EHIC card from the UK if the UK is responsible for your health cover. The UK is responsible for your health cover if you live in the UK or you are a UK State Pensioner living in another EU country. In the latter case you qualify if you have been issued with an S1 form and you have used it to register with the health insurance system of the country where you live. The same is true for dependants.

If you do not fit into one of these categories then you do not qualify. For example a retired person under the qualifying age for a UK State Pension living abroad does not qualify.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Yes , that is how I understand it Warwick.
On a slightly different but linked issue , if you are a British Citizen but not a state pensioner , but live full time out of the UK , you now no longer have a right to NHS healthcare.
Bottom line if your under 65 and live here, if you get sick you can't get on a plane and expect the NHS to help you .... jeff

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:45 am

You could well be right, Jeff. I think if you tell them that you are relocating back to the UK then there is a chance you will get treated by the NHS but I wouldn't guarantee it. At least that used to be the case BUT the government seems to be getting quite tight recently so it may not be true now. My late wife and I were faced with the decision some years ago whether to get treatment in Greece or return to the UK and get NHS treatment. A friend in the UK asked for us at her local GP surgery and that was what she was told. In the end we decided to stay in Greece so we never tested if it would work.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:20 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:On a slightly different but linked issue , if you are a British Citizen but not a state pensioner , but live full time out of the UK , you now no longer have a right to NHS healthcare.
.... jeff

Except if you are working in another EU country and paying National Insurance there .. e.g. in Greece. Then Greece issues your EHIC card for cover in the UK and Europe. It's intended as emergency cover of course, so theoretically if you get sick you still can't get on a plane and expect the NHS to help you.

I realise this is a different case (working) to the one under discussion here, just mentioned it to clarify Jeff's comment.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Completely agree, Carol. It's the converse of what I posted above. You get the EHIC card from whichever country is responsible for your healthcare. In general, in the EU, each country is only responsible for the healthcare of people who contribute to their equivalent of National Insurance. The UK is the exception in that it takes responsibility for the healthcare of people who do not contribute. The fact that the UK is an outlier is the root cause of most of the friction about EU rules concerning benefits and many internal frictions.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:22 pm

http://www.nhsdirect.wales.nhs.uk/travelhealth/Greece/
This is a useful link about what is and isn't covered. There is no reference to emergencies but travel insurance is recommended.

Return to “General Discussion & News”