British Car re-registering in Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
nigeljackson5

British Car re-registering in Crete

Postby nigeljackson5 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Hi to everyone, and sorry if this has been discussed before.

I have friends who have decided to come to live on the island, after renting their property out for several years

They arrived here in late september 2016

The questions I would like an answer to, please, are these:-

1. How long do they have to re-register, and are there fines for late registration
2. Where do they go to do this
3. Their vehicle is a 60 plate 1600 Vauxhall estate, so approx what would be the cost
4. Do you receive new greek registration plates
5. What could happen if they leave it longer than the due date

Thanks in advance

Nigel

Jeffstclair

Re: British Car re-registering in Crete

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:10 pm

As far as I am aware , if you want to import a car into Greece and not pay huge import duty(I was asked for 12 thousand Euros for my 10 year old Volvo) and a massive paper trail,you must get all the paperwork done in your own country before the vehicle leaves.
The law says you can only use a foreign registered car here for 6 months after that it can be impounded ....I'm sure there are folk on this forum who have done it... my advice is take the car back to the UK sell it, and buy a car here ....jeff...

BST

Postby BST » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Totally agree! We went through the motions of trying to reregister our UK car. Waste of time and energy. True to form, they make if as difficult and expensive as possible. Sold car in the UK and bought from Supercars. Couldn't have been easier!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:03 pm

nigeljackson5 wrote:Hi to everyone, and sorry if this has been discussed before.

I have friends who have decided to come to live on the island, after renting their property out for several years

They arrived here in late september 2016

The questions I would like an answer to, please, are these:-

1. How long do they have to re-register, and are there fines for late registration
2. Where do they go to do this
3. Their vehicle is a 60 plate 1600 Vauxhall estate, so approx what would be the cost
4. Do you receive new greek registration plates
5. What could happen if they leave it longer than the due date

Thanks in advance

Nigel

Some 19 years ago I imported an 1800 vauxhall Cavalier. The customs started off asking for 1 million dramchmae to import it. I told them to b****r off and eventually we settled at a lower sum. We had already done the paperwork with the Greek Conuslate in the UK, but they were not impressed by any of that. It was worth it in the end, and we got more than she was worth when we scrapped her some 6 yeas ago. However, I concur with one of the responders to your message. Take it back, flog it and use the money towards something bought here. Second hand prices are high here, but if you want a trouble-free life, go for it. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

stevemartin911

Postby stevemartin911 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 am

With respect to the contributors above I have a similar old story, 10 years ago a €12k bill for an old BMW worth €2k it was also an old car.
I have a much more modern version, 4 years ago whereby a newer car was issued red plates, these were issued to Greeks importing cars for personal use, it meant the tax had not been paid, but you had to keep the car 5 years.
It seems the idea was carried over to ex pats at that time and it cost €400.
I think they would be well advised to go straight to the horses mouth and find out the accurate current position, there is a customs office at Heraklion Port.
The car is almost worthless in the Uk but very expensive here, especially if it's a diesel, putting some legwork in might pay off ?
Best of luck !
Steve

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Several factors affect what it costs.

The main factor is whether you are relocating to Greece for the first time and you apply for exemption from any taxes/fees associated with bringing your own property. To do that, before you relocate you must complete paperwork to prove that you are relocating, such as tax forms, utility bills etc, from your country of residence as well as paperwork related to the vehicle. Details are on the UK Greek Consulate web site. In that case there should be very low administrative fees. This all needs to be done before you relocate to Greece so I doubt if this route would be open to someone who has already moved here several months ago and brought a vehicle with them.

If you don't satisfy the exemption condition then you have to pay a bigger re-registration fee that depends on the cost of the car new today, a depreciation factor depending on its age and, more importantly, the engine size and what EC Emission Directive it meets. The fee is a percentage of the depreciated cost and the percentage goes up with both engine size and level of pollution. That is why one person says it is quite reasonable, perhaps 7 % and another says it is astronomical, say 385 %. I have a booklet as a series of jpgs; if you want it PM me your email address. It's a bit old, 2001, so you might be able to get a more up to date version.

Warwick

PS If you use the exemption route you should get red plates which restrict what you can do with the car for a few years (5?). If you pay the fee you should get normal plates and it is the same as having a car bought in Greece.

nigeljackson5

Postby nigeljackson5 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:08 am

Many thanks to all who have responded so far, it is really appreciated

I have sent you a pm Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:10 pm

An article in today's ekathimerini tends to suggest that keeping a car here beyond the 6 months allowed, still on foreign plates, which many people have risked doing, may not be such a good idea.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”