House Insurance

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Dansam

Re: House Insurance

Postby Dansam » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:10 pm

I was with Intasure and had cause to make a claim following a robbery. They put up every possible argument against paying what was really due, i.e. Requesting invoices for my mothers jewellery which I explained was decades old? I was then informed that If I decided to take a cash settlement , this would be a much reduced amount than with a 'credit card' to be used at jewellers of their choice, i.e. well known high street jewellers. The comparison in quality came nowhere near so I had to settle for the lower cash amount. On top of this they increased my premium by 20% when it was due for renewal.

Luckily I found an excellent insurance broker Umbrella Insurance Group, covered by LLOYDS OF LONDON, here in Chania. Ioannis Nikolaidis, 2 Eleftherias Square, Feidias Mansion Building 2, Ground floor Office, Chania. Tel +6973005308, 2821028801.
http://www.ioannis@umbrellagroup.gr.

I have recently had cause to make a claim and couldn't be more pleased with their professional approach and treatment of my claim, which was settled promptly and professionally. My buildings cover included earthquake cover. My premium was cheaper than with Intasure by quite a bit.

They also offer an excellent low cost health insurance.

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Kathleen wrote:Having been with Intasure for over eight years I finally got fed up with having to haggle over the price for renewals each year and switched to my local branch of Interamerican in Rethymnon. The premium was substantially lower for the same cover so I am happy.

A point mentioned by them at the time, was that generally when a claim was made with Intasure they then contacted Interamerican to find out the location of the property concerned so they could deal with it!

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen
Sorry, just found this post.
Do you know your excess details? The quote we got is very reasonable but we are struggling to get enough details from them
Cheers
Mackie

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:08 pm

I am in my UK home at present Mackie, but will be over in Crete next week. I keep the policy documents there so will have a look and update you then.

Kathleen

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:02 pm

The following is from the Interamerican house insurance page, translated with Google Translate so not perfect:

VIP Exemption:
Neither your participation in the event of damage.
Release 750:
€ 750 your participation for any damage.
Discharge 5000:
€ 5.000 your participation for any damage.
Earthquake Relief:
You can choose the amount of your contribution, 2% or 4% of the insured capital.

Choosing the lower excess increases the premium. You can see the various rate further down the page.

Warwick

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks Kathleen and Warwick, much appreciated. The English version of the website does not go into that much details.

You are obviously not the only one to use google Warwick. Got this via an email:

"Good evening
I'm sorry but I can΄t send you something related only book of conditions for all coverages in Greek.
In the case of compensation not join you with some amount other than the earthquake that is 2% of the insured capital.
Finally I update it to give earthquake coverage should have a document or static amplification leave the building by your mechanic. When you proceed to the signing of the contract for the house with your notary can make an appointment to explain what you need to know about insuring.

They may not be sent to you documents before signing the application for the issuance of your contract"

:)

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:49 am

Hello dear Mackie,

As Interamerican is a company I always recommend (great record of paying claims) have a look at my website to get a better understanding.

http://www.insuranceline.gr/en/home-insurance

In order for them to offer the earthquake cover to any property pre-1960s they will need a certificate of static competence or structural integrity from a civil engineer.

Stavros

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:09 am

Hi Stavros,
Thanks for the information. The house was built late 1970s or early 80s (building permit was in 1977).
Mackie

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Dear Mackie,

You have PM!

Return to “General Discussion & News”