Car Rental UK

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
kalamater

Car Rental UK

Postby kalamater » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:57 pm

I have just been investigating car rental for a trip back to UK in February. It seems that in many companies' T's & C's they require utility bills, bank statement or similar to support [UK] driving licence (obviously with matching addresses) for ID. I have never known this before. Is it something new? Do they not actually apply it when you pick up the rental? I have UK licence but no supporting utility bill or similar.
Does anyone have any recent experience of car rental in UK or can shed light on wnether or not I should take notice of this T&C ?

BST

Re: Car Rental UK

Postby BST » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:37 pm

We hired a car from Sixt at Man airport in October. We had UK driving licences with our English address on plus the DVLA code and paid with an English debit card. We had an English bank statement with our English address on but they didn't ask for it. We phoned Sixth HQ beforehand who were very helpful and we said we didn't have utility bills or a credit card and they said it was fine as long as we had a UK debit card plus driving licences. We have been with them before as everything is straightforward. Hope this helps!

Wintersid

Postby Wintersid » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Just got back from the UK, rented a car from Hertz (Via Aegean airlines. They do an online check-in of your details, all they wanted was driving license details. When I got to the desk at Gatwick I showed them the details of the check-in, and the card I used to book the car, all sorted.

I did book with Greenmotion last summer, who seemed to want proof of address, when I explained I lived abroad, they then said all they would need was the DVLA check, the driving license and a card for a deposit.
Sid Winter

BST

Postby BST » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:34 pm

PS. It's worth looking at insurance4carhire.com to cover your excesses as its always so expensive with the car hire companies!
We found that trying to book car hire via Expedia or Ryanair is more expensive but then we always leave it late??

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:09 pm

BST wrote:PS. It's worth looking at insurance4carhire.com to cover your excesses as its always so expensive with the car hire companies!
We found that trying to book car hire via Expedia or Ryanair is more expensive but then we always leave it late??
I think you'll find that Insurance4carhire don't provide cover for hirers everywhere in the EU but restrict it to "What's not covered.......Policyholders who are not residents of the UK, The Netherlands, France, Spain, Italy, Republic of Ireland or Germany". It's a double negative which made me think a bit about what they mean.

I had a policy with them for several years but last year I was informed that my then 'any EU resident can have one policy' would be valid for the remainder of the policy term but I wouldn't be able to renew it.

I think there are other companies offering policies to any EU resident but haven't checked as, currently, I don't plan any more trips needing a rental.

P.S. Just had a quick look at Google and other companies I know used to offer 'Excess' cover to any EU resident (Questor is one example) but now restrict availability to residents of specific EU countries. Greece is one of many that are no longer included. I also found a site that purports to list insurers that do provide cover for all EU residents. I gave up after the 4 I looked at (of eight listed) don't cover rentals by residents outside the UK or for a very short list of qualifying countries, none of which includes Greece.
Last edited by filippos on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BST

Postby BST » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:16 pm

We gave our UK address to insurers so were ok :D

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:42 pm

We don't all have UK addresses.
If they were to discover somehow that you are not a permanent resident of the UK they'd declare the policy void and not pay the claim. They might even try to have the policyholder charged with attempted fraud, if only to discourage others.

BST

Postby BST » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:08 pm

With that company you pay anyway then claim back. If they decided not to pay then cest la vie

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:46 pm

I used to use insurance4carhire.com and had a claim, which they settled with no problem. When I tried to renew last year they said they no longer insure Greek residents so I changed to icarhireinsurance who were actually cheaper.

I think with all independent excess insurance companies you pay and then claim back. The hire companies use that to try to convince you to take excess insurance with them. It is so much cheaper with the independents I think it is worth it.

Warwick

kalamater

Postby kalamater » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:49 am

Many thanks everyone, mostly reassuring news. I expect that I made a mistake by taking on the T's & C's too seriously. The proof of the pudding..........Thanks again.

Return to “General Discussion & News”