Adjacent building collapse

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
frankmand

Adjacent building collapse

Postby frankmand » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:03 pm

I have an old, stone built, property which has other buildings, owned by other people, attached to it. Some of these buildings have been unused for many years. Recently, one of the buildings has collapsed, some walls and the roof, resulting in what was an interior wall, shared with my property, becoming an exterior wall to my property. As such, this wall is no longer protected from the elements, and will result in damage to my property.
Does anyone have experience of this situation, who is responsible for repairs / maintenance, and getting any results?
Thanks, in advance, for any help you can give me.
Frank

Jeffstclair

Re: Adjacent building collapse

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Frankmand , I had a similar problem a few years ago , two ruined rooms next to our house that belong to the sister of the woman we bought our house from .... we have been trying to buy the ruined rooms and the plot of land for a few years but always met with a firm no... then one winter morning after heavy rain I found four inches of water in my workshop .... We got on the phone to her and finally after much discussion and the purchase of chocolates and flowers ...(by us ) I got the go ahead to demolish what was left of the ruined rooms so I could render a make weather proof the exposed stone wall... my friend with a JCB took about 20 mins to remove the rubble away from the side of our house on her land.... and the whole village came and watched .....My advice get in contact with the owner and be firm but friendly ...jeff...

Return to “General Discussion & News”