Retired Britons in EU 'may be forced to return?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
BST

Re: Retired Britons in EU 'may be forced to return?

Postby BST » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Mouche......Internet troll??

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Ad hominem? :roll:

mouche

Postby mouche » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Kilkis wrote: They should have assessed the typical energy costs for each country compared to the UK and kept or withdrawn the allowance on that basis.
Warwick

You seem to favour more bureaucracy?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:14 pm

What bureaucracy? They decided to base it on national temperature profiles. They got the information from the UK Met Office. They then had to alter the figures because the scientifically accurate information did not provide the answer they wanted. Every country keeps statistics on what an average person pays for energy during a year. They get the information from their energy suppliers. Why should using that set of figures be any more difficult than using the temperature ones? Country A has an average cost of €X per year, country B has an average cost of €Y per year and the UK has an average cost of €Z per year. If X is bigger than Z then UK citizens living in country A qualify for the allowance. If Y is less than Z then UK citizens living in country B don't qualify. It can be worked out on an abacus. It doesn't need Sunway TaihuLight.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:19 am

BST wrote:Mouche......Internet troll??

Just a teeny weeny bit...........

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:08 pm

When Brexit was first voted on I mentioned the health issue, I am surprised that all of a sudden it is a hot topic causing such a commotion.. :?
Dave H

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:16 pm

I would say not. I disagree with virtually every opinion he holds but I don't think he is a troll. He has a perfect right to disagree with me, although some of the arguments he uses to express that disagreement are not very logical. For example, the UK wanting to leave the EU but still have tariff free access to the single market is an example of "wanting to have their cake and eat it". To pick up that expression and attach it to a UK citizen wanting the UK government to honour its commitments to its citizens has no logical validity but it is hardly trolling.

moved 2 crete wrote:When Brexit was first voted on I mentioned the health issue, I am surprised that all of a sudden it is a hot topic causing such a commotion.. :?

Many of us have discussed the health issue on here, Dave, both as part of the Leave debate and after the referendum result was known. When we discussed it then all we could do was speculate that health cover might be lost under the Brexit deal but we had no way of knowing. The topic has been revived because it is becoming apparent that some EU countries do not want to preserve such reciprocal arrangements in particular Germany. Given Germany's influence in the EU, that shifts the likelihood of it being maintained a long way to the negative side.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Kilkis wrote:

To pick up that expression and attach it to a UK citizen wanting the UK government to honour its commitments to its citizens has no logical validity but it is hardly trolling.

Once again you find it easy to misunderstand what others are writing. What I said was; You can't have the cake and eat it too. It goes wihout saying (?) that you in this context is the (population of) UK, not you as an individual! It is you (the plural you, not you the person) who has opted to leave the EU and prefer to have no deal rather than a bad deal, whatever that means. That you seem to dislike what the majority of "you" voted for, or rather against, is something you just have to live with whether you (the person you) like it, or not!

I would not be a bit surprised if you still don't get it!

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:26 pm

My concern at the time is now being born out, I voiced it at the time mentioning the cost of cancer treatment that you know of Warwick and my dialysis costs as a diabetic, but there did not seem to be any concern voiced on this forum, most posters presumably must have a full cup until proved otherwise. :(
Dave H

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:00 pm

I have no problem with the way the majority of the UK population voted. I think they made a wrong decision but that is my personal opinion. They were offered a vote and they voted. I have repeatedly said on this forum that, since the vote was to leave, the UK should leave. If that results in the EU kicking me out of Greece I have no argument. That is their right. They did not wish the UK to leave the EU. The UK decided it was going to leave. The EU must make whatever decisions it thinks are in the best interests of the remaining 27 nations. I have no argument if some countries, such as Germany, decide they no longer wish to maintain reciprocal relations with the UK on any issue. That is also their right. There is nothing in the views I have expressed that can lead you to the conclusion that I, or any of the other people who have posted on this issue, want to have the cake and eat it.

Whether the UK government chooses to continue to provide healthcover for its citizens when they live abroad is a different issue. That is totally within the gift of the UK government whatever the EU decides. That was a commitment it made to its citizens and it should honour it. Obviously, if the reciprocal relations are not maintained, it would not be able to provide that healthcover through the S1 Form system that it uses now but it could still provide it. Health providers in most EU countries simply want to know what insurance you have when you ask for treatment. They don't care what that insurance is, they simply want somewhere to bill. The DWP section that deals with the S1 Form procedure for UK State pensioners could, for example, issue an insurance card with the persons name and other identifying information together with information on how the health provider can get authorisation to provide treatment and submit bills. It wouldn't be difficult. Generally treatment in most EU countries actually costs less than it does in the UK so they would be saving money and not imposing additional burden on the NHS if they pay the health costs abroad.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”