More Questions from the newbies

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mackie

More Questions from the newbies

Postby Mackie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:16 pm

The good luck we had the first day did not last long as we are now well and truly tangled within the Greek Bearaucracy. Hopefully we get it all sorted and get the keys to the house this week.

Got a couple of questions with regard to bringing personal stuff from the UK.

1- Is there any limitation to what we can bring?
2- would anyone stop us if we just fill a van and our car with all of the small personal stuff and bring it over? Do we need to do anything or inform anyone? This might be silly to ask but having read the issues people have importing a car, we are wondering if there is any similar process for anything else we want to bring. We are buying all the big furniture and electricals here but would like to bring as much of the small bits as possible to quickly make it feel homely.

We have been to many car show rooms and do not understand where they get their prices from for 2nd hand cars, some of the cars need to be scrapped and still they ask for €5k!!

We have a few more questions if you don't mind and will use this thread for that and hopefully this can also help others

Cheers

Mackie

Kilkis

Re: More Questions from the newbies

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:53 pm

I don't know of any limitations other than the problem with re-registering cars. We had a removal company ship a small van full of all the normal household things about 17 years ago when we sold our house in the UK. We had already lived here three years then so we had all the white goods and major furniture items here already.

People in Greece have tended to buy cars new and then keep them for donkeys years so depreciation is much slower here than in the UK where people tend to trade in fairly quickly, e.g. after 1 year or 3 years. Also not so many fleet cars being dumped on the market here. Companies in the UK don't worry too much what they get for a fleet car because they can often offset loses against tax.

Warwick

PS Watch out for large engine cars going cheap because the road tax on them is massive. Also if you finish up tax resident you pay a luxury tax. Stick below 1929 cc if you can.

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:43 pm

What took me by surprise is that when you buy a used car and maybe a new one come to that, you have to pay a tax to the government. We don't have this in England and I had not factored this into the rather exorbitant cost of an elderly Hyundai Atos. The tax payable was €130 and I don't know if this varies with the age/value of the car. I also don't know if you pay a tax on a new car and if so, how much.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Bringing stuff over in a van shouldn't be a problem.

When we moved here we bought a 1600cc automatic car for €6,500 (the receipt stated €5000). I wouldn't have given £1000 for it in the UK. Six years later we traded it in for another used car and got €2000 for it. I'm sure that the garage sold it for a good profit.

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:10 pm

Kilkis wrote:
PS Watch out for large engine cars going cheap because the road tax on them is massive. Also if you finish up tax resident you pay a luxury tax. Stick below 1929 cc if you can.

Sorry, but this is certainly not entirely correct as depends on when vehicle registered. If the car is registered before October 31st 2010 it's the enginesize, but after that date it is determined by emission. Rules/tarif are likely to change once again and possibly be based on value of vehicle unless and until they change their mind or the rules!

In my opibnion (yes I know you disagree!) the best thing is to buy a new car and sell it after 10 years at a totally inflated price/value!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Forsto wrote:What took me by surprise is that when you buy a used car and maybe a new one come to that, you have to pay a tax to the government. We don't have this in England and I had not factored this into the rather exorbitant cost of an elderly Hyundai Atos. The tax payable was €130 and I don't know if this varies with the age/value of the car. I also don't know if you pay a tax on a new car and if so, how much.

€130 is what I pay for our Fiat Panda (1300cc) annual road tax. Are you sure it wasn't the road tax you paid?

Yes, of course you are, but I just thought it worth asking! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:04 pm

At the present time with UK/Greece being within the EU you can bring all of your bits and pieces over in a van or car, most I would anticipate would have been owned and used for over six months, but new items, other than vehicles, are not a problem. I would suggest you avoid transit via Switzerland, since you may be subject to Customs controls when transiting their borders, though some members of various forums in the past have said they experienced no problem there.

Look at the costings of return travel for both vehicles. It nay be cheaper to have things brought out either by White Van Man or Greek Island removals both of whom make regular trips too and from Crete.

As I said earlier, I bought a secondhand Hyundai Atos, ex hire, 2005 model. Cost was €2300 , invoice showed €1000 inc. VAT. €130 road tax. The price was about the going rate but all in all, I was satisfied that I got a good deal.

Kathleen

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Thanks Ladies and Gents, much appreciated.

@Kathleen, tried all the car hire companies that are open and was told it's too late. Nothing like that on the market at present!!

mouche wrote:In my opinion, the best thing is to buy a new car and sell it after 10 years at a totally inflated price/value!

We have reached that conclusion too (€3k difference between new and 6 years old car, same model is just one example) but those crazy car dealerships are closed both Saturday and Sunday. Another thing that we can't understand!!
We managed to locate all main dealers so we can go around easy next week.
Thanks again
Mackie

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Apart from cake shops, florists, mini markets, some but not all petrol stations and some shops in tourist areas, everything is closed on a Sunday, Mackie. I agree that it is strange that car dealers close on a Saturday as well but they certainly do.

There is a registration fee for transferring ownership, Forsto, i.e. registering the car to a new owner. It certainly varies with engine size, i.e. bigger engine - bigger fee. I am not sure if age affects it. I can't remember what I had to pay but €130 sounds about right for a small - medium car. You show the log book at the bank and they will tell you what you have to pay. You pay it to the bank and they give you a document to prove you have paid it and that goes to the vehicle registration department with the other documents. There is a machine in the vehicle registration department in Chania where you can pay the fee but it frequently doesn't work so it is better to pay it at a bank in advance.

Knowing the way cars depreciate slowly in Greece, do you really think you are going to get a large engine car cheap if it was registered after 31 October 2010, Mouche?

It is possible to get good deals here. The first car I bought was a second hand company car. It was three years old with 65,000 km on the clock. I paid about half the new price for it which is comparable with the UK. The next car I bought was also three years old, privately owned by one owner from new, absolutely immaculate condition with around 40,000 km on the clock. That one I paid about 60 % of the new price.

Warwick

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:06 pm

We have recently emigrated to Crete and came in a 5 ton pick up boxed out on the back full of stuff towing a 7.5m long 3.5 ton box trailer again full of our possessions from the UK some items new but mostly items we have owned a while,we didn't get stopped once at any border and no one as much as asked to look inside the truck or the trailer. We did the France Italy, Mont Blanc tunnel route avoiding switzerland as advised by Nomad who travel this route monthly.
One of the possessions on the truck was my harley davidson, which with the help of a greek at the Harley bike shop in Chania has now almost been re-registered with greek plates the bike is worth about 15K in the UK and we had to pay 1150 euros for the registration process, we have just to get it MOT in crete and we will be issued greek plates, i'm just waiting for the better weather, it has taken about 4-5 visits to various offices but overall not to bad, I have had the bike over 13 years so it wasn't an option for me to sell it.

One mistake we made was that we did not go to the customs office in Piraeus when we first landed in greece and declare the pick up or bike, so it should have cost us an extra 400 euro to get this done but with a bit of persuasion from us and our greek friend this was reduced to 10 euros.

We have been told that we are allowed to bring into Greece one vehicle per person at a very reduced import tax rate as long as you have owned that vehicle for two years, so the bike is in my name and the truck is in my wifes.

We are about to start the same process for the pickup again with some help from a greek friend, not sure what the cost will be but we have not found the process to bad, you need to be patient and we now have got friendly with one of the ladies at the greek customs house which can only help.

We have also brought a greek pick up truck which was more hassle that getting my bike re-registered, as it is a commercial vehicle you are not allowed to own it unless you are a farmer or have a business, again a Greek friend produced a invoice that we sold him 60 euros of olives and with a bit of paper work from our accountant we are now officially greek farmers, it took 3 weeks after we had brought the truck before the number plates were issued back to us as we had to jump through a load of paper work hoops and tax form from our accountant, why a pick up, its great for our dog has four doors loads of power for the local hills and rough roads and although its a 2.5 l diesel is only 105 euros road tax and 160 euros to insure, we did look at a Jeep of a similar engine size which was 800 euros road tax and over 500 euros insurance.

My experience with all of this is it not what but who you know, you need at least one fluent greek speaker to help you, but you have 6 months to get the vehicle re-registered and if it works out too expensive take it back to the UK to sell.

BTW its not cheap bringing over the truck and trailer with all the tolls, ferries. fuel and hotels it cost us about £3,800 but we were only 10 feet shorter that a 40ft container lorry and over 3m high.

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:01 am

Bob, tax to the government was €130, road tax was €120. I am not complaining, you understand, it just took me by surprise. I actually agree with whoever it was said best to buy new, but not only would the car have been ten times the cost, the insurance would also have been a serious consideration. For the time being I will psych myself up to drive in Greece and see if I can get used to it.
Last edited by Forsto on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mouche

Postby mouche » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:00 am

Kilkis wrote:Knowing the way cars depreciate slowly in Greece, do you really think you are going to get a large engine car cheap if it was registered after 31 October 2010, Mouche?

It was a question about roadtax where I pointed out that you are wrong, not the second hand price of a car with a large engine registered (first time!) after October 31st!

I have stated my opinion as to what makes the most sence with repect to buying a car, new, newer or old, and the reason for same, thus your question is of no relevance to what I have written or pointed out.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 am

The thread is about buying a car. I stand by my advice. Stay away from cheap large engine cars. The owner is desperately trying to get rid of it because of what it costs them in taxes, both road tax and luxury tax. I know people who are trying to do it.

Car tax rates have been discussed on many threads on this site. If Mackie wants to know what the exact rates are for any particular car he can find them here for cars registered before 31 October 2010 and after. I believe those figures are still correct for 2017 according to an ekathimerini article

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:04 pm

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks for all of your input, it has been great.
Managed to line up a good car (C3, pre registered but with no mileage), 1.2 engine with only £88/year tax and 6 years warranty for just over 2k more than a 2009 - 2010 models many of the 2nd hand dealers wanted, on the road (key in hand the guy calls it).

If anyone is also interested, we found some great places to shop for the home in Heraklion. We also found a great shop for all electricals with all the models we wanted as well as selling air conditioning and solar panels. They have a good sale on and also got a massive modern furniture / home center close by.
We negotiated a further 25% reduction for a package that we chose (60% of which were already in the Sale). They refused to give more discount on a couple of items but we saved ourselves a bit of money. They called Tzorakis (http://www.tzorakis.gr/)

Now it's just a waiting game to get they keys (officially) for the house and get going but this is not until next week now (a few tax issues - over building means more paperwork and more taxes to the taxman--- ouch. Luckily, it's not our problem).

We have a few days to explore so heading towards Chania and surrounding areas for a few days.

Any suggestion for a nice place to stay that is cheap enough? We don't believe reviews on TripAdvisor or hotel booking company anymore after a few recent bad experiences.

Can anyone suggest a good place to stay for a couple of nights to explore west of the island and see why so many prefer it there? Don't want to pay much as we are already paying for the one we are staying at!!

Cheers

Return to “General Discussion & News”