More Questions from the newbies

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
YoMo2

Re: More Questions from the newbies

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:56 am

Is there any subject this thread hasn't covered yet? I think we should cast the net wider........

Andrew

Mackie

Finally, we have a contract to sign... No going back now

Postby Mackie » Thu May 11, 2017 10:29 am

Another one to add to the pitfalls of buying a property in Greece!!

It turns out that none of the Greek Family we are buying the house from paid any taxes from 2010 on various things (Both in Athens and Crete).
Nearly 10 Months and 80% of the purchase price going to the Greek Tax Man (on various Cheques), we have a contract and clearance from the notary to all meet and sign.
Now it is happening, we need to arrange everything for the trip back in two or Three weeks. We had everything on hold as we were not sure this was going to be resolved soon.

Ros21

Postby Ros21 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Why am I not suprised!

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Finally we are in a position to leave it all behind and join you good people in Crete.
We need to start booking ferries (following Steve’s route and booked the mini cruise from Hull already for end of March).
We will have to read all the threads again to update our information and plan everything in details. Hopefully the power and water still on as we have not been back since completing the purchase and reconnecting utilities!!

We also paid only for 6months for a Post Box but it has been a year, I wonder if we still have it reserved and all of our bills / letters still there!!

Will be back with a couple of questions for you good people. :cheers:

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 am

Curious to know why you had to pay for a post box Mackie.

Getting mine was a big surprise at the time. I had called in at the main post office in Rethymnon and was told to speak to a man called Lefteris, upstairs. I explained where I lived and said I would be happy with a post box anywhere close by. He asked me to wait two weeks while he checked things out in the area then he would call me. I left my contact number thinking I would be lucky :| . Sure enough two weeks later, to my amazement, I got the call. 'Come in and see me I have a key for you'.

In I went, armed with whatever paperwork I thought I may need, and bingo, I was give a key for one of the boxes close to my home. No checks done! Total cost 2€, he had had to get a spare key cut! One of the easiest transactions I have ever conducted in Crete.

Kathleen

PS Good luck with the trip, I spent a couple of hours on Sunday watching the You Tube links to Peter Owens HGV road trip to Patras referred to in another post, you may find them of interest yourself.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Kathleen wrote:Curious to know why you had to pay for a post box Mackie...

I think you pay an annual fee for the ones inside the post office but not the ones "strategically" placed at the roadside.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:59 pm

Warwick is correct. The going rate for a PO box inside Sitia post office, for example, is 56 euros a year. It might seem a bit steep but approx 1 euro a week seems worth it for the reassurance that mail is not left, sometimes for weeks on end, in the local kafenion. And Mackie, I reckon your post should still be safe in the box when you return. If they are anything like Sitia they probably won't be too fussy about when you pay. I once tried to pay at the end of December for the following year and the man couldn't understand why I would do that. Next year, he said. Any time!

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:15 pm

In Kalyves our post is delivered to the house where we have a small box on the wall under cover (just) on a verandah. When we have post, at about 10:00, Adonis pulls up outside on his scooter and sounds the hooter/squeaker. If we're out mail is left in the box or, if too big for the box, on a table by the front door (delicately thrown unless it looks breakable). If we're going away for more than a couple of days we go to the post office and leave a message that we'll be away, returning on...... The day after our return Adonis any post that's arrived in our absence. Cost - zero although at New Year I do provide a bottle of decent Scotch.

When we moved several years ago I paid for 6 months mail redirection at the mammoth cost of €3. 8½ years on, occasionally, we still receive mail sent to the previous address in another village.

As far as we know nothing has ever been lost. Certainly anything we've been expecting has always arrived and we've never received anything saying, "We wrote to you on ......... and have not received a response."

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:59 pm

filippos wrote:In Kalyves our post is delivered to the house where we have a small box on the wall ...

I have the same but it only applies inside cities, towns and reasonably large villages. Sometimes in smaller villages they will deliver directly to the houses on the main street but the rest go in the blue boxes or a shoe box in the Kafneion.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:09 pm

We live in a tiny Village of eleven households ,some of them part time and we get our post delivered to the door , or left on the drivers seat of the truck .. the post lady Stephanular (if you can catch her) also does Pensions for the locals ,water, telephone,Car tax and electric bills ...and will take outgoing mail and parcels ...great service ...

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 pm

The Boss thought it was a good idea and who am I to argue with her :D plus I couldn’t tell anyone our exact address so it was much easier for letters and large parcels to give a P O Box. We have since found our exact address and we need to introduce ourselves to the local postman.
It’s like others said, it’s inside the post office and we had a choice so picked a large and low one. We still have the key and they have our deposit. They would only accept 6 months in advance at the time. For very large parcels they keep it behind in the stores and drop a note in the box. It works really well.

Thanks for the tip of the video. Will give it a go.

Kathleen wrote:Curious to know why you had to pay for a post box Mackie.

Getting mine was a big surprise at the time. I had called in at the main post office in Rethymnon and was told to speak to a man called Lefteris, upstairs. I explained where I lived and said I would be happy with a post box anywhere close by. He asked me to wait two weeks while he checked things out in the area then he would call me. I left my contact number thinking I would be lucky :| . Sure enough two weeks later, to my amazement, I got the call. 'Come in and see me I have a key for you'.

In I went, armed with whatever paperwork I thought I may need, and bingo, I was give a key for one of the boxes close to my home. No checks done! Total cost 2€, he had had to get a spare key cut! One of the easiest transactions I have ever conducted in Crete.

Kathleen

PS Good luck with the trip, I spent a couple of hours on Sunday watching the You Tube links to Peter Owens HGV road trip to Patras referred to in another post, you may find them of interest yourself.

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:06 am

Mixos wrote:Warwick is correct. The going rate for a PO box inside Sitia post office, for example, is 56 euros a year. It might seem a bit steep but approx 1 euro a week seems worth it for the reassurance that mail is not left, sometimes for weeks on end, in the local kafenion. And Mackie, I reckon your post should still be safe in the box when you return. If they are anything like Sitia they probably won't be too fussy about when you pay. I once tried to pay at the end of December for the following year and the man couldn't understand why I would do that. Next year, he said. Any time!

Yep. They would only let us pay until December. Thanks for the info!!
And you are right, about €1 a week.
Both the Lawyer and Accountant had one and offered for us to use it until we settle but we thought at that price we might as well try it.
Cheers

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:39 am

Mackie wrote:...We still have the key and they have our deposit...

I noticed that in our local post office having a key seems to be largely redundant. The postman has a master key that opens the whole front. He seems to leave that in the rack all the time and people just open the whole front, check their own box and then close it again. Security doesn't seem to be a consideration. Obviously for the racks out in the street you need a key.

Warwick

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Ive done the trip both ways a few times now , my latest trip was the end of October last year . I took a can 5m x 2m back to the uk . You can book at the terminal in italy , or Souda if going in the opposite direction . Book both journeys with the same company to get a %30 discount. Don't book a cabin until you are onboard , once underway , wait 15 -30 minutes and then go and enquirer about a cabin . I always get a cabin just for me at a fraction of the cost .. as long as the van is no longer than 5m and no higher than 2m you will be fine and the price with discount is very reasonable ...booking online is a nightmare , I've only done it once it it cost me because I broke down missed the ferry from Italy and the subsequent ferry to crete, I rebooked but I had to pay a fee ... much better to book your ferrys once you get to the terminal ..

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:36 am

thebigbluecheese wrote:... much better to book your ferrys once you get to the terminal ..

It does depend a bit when you are travelling. Around Pascha and some days in the summer, e.g. around 15 August and the last weekend in August, so many people travel it can be impossible to get a cabin if you book when you arrive at the terminal. It can work at other times.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”