More Questions from the newbies

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mackie

kicking the can down the road again

Postby Mackie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:46 pm

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2017/02 ... k-bailout/

The International Monetary Fund will stay in Greece’s bailout program and debt relief will be postponed for 2018.

Mackie

Help with insurance please

Postby Mackie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:48 am

While we wait to hear about the contracts and prepare for our return journey to Crete, I got in touch with Interamerican to get a quote for home insurance. Initially contacted them via the website and someone got back to us but we are struggling to get some decent information. The quote she sent us seems very reasonable but she would not give us a copy of typical policy or give us detailed information on excess, including Earthquakes.

Does anyone know of a local (to Iraklion or Ag Nic) agent that we can contact to get this moving? Can anyone who has insurance with Interamerican share their experience and typical excess on their policy?

Cheers

Mackie

Kilkis

Re: More Questions from the newbies

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:38 pm

I have used ATE Insurance for vehicles but so far not for buildings. The quotes I have had from them for buildings have been very competitive. In 2015 they quoted €309 or €279 if I paid by Direct Debit to my credit card. That was for €145,000 rebuild cost and €27,000 contents insurance and includes earthquake cover. The earthquake cover is subject to an excess of 2 % of insured value, i.e. €2,900. The policy is underwritten by Munich Re, possibly the world's biggest insurance underwriter. I don't have a contact down your end of the island but you could try stephanoskatsifarakis at yahoo dot gr who is one of their agents in Chania. He might be able to give you a quote himself or put you in touch with an ATE office nearer to you.

I currently use Intasure in the UK who are underwritten by Lloyds of London. They insure both holiday homes and ex-pats homes. I pay a bit more than the ATE quote but they have massive rebuild cover so I don't need to think about whether I have the valuation correct. I think they have a £5,000 excess for earthquakes.

I think all companies tend to have a big excess for earthquakes because they don't want claims for repairing cracks or tiles fallen off roofs. It is really there to cover the possibility that your property is totally destroyed. In that event I think we would all be quite happy to pay £5,000 as long as the house got rebuilt.

Warwick

PS You might consider starting new threads when asking completely new questions, with the title indicating what the thread is about. This one is now very long and covers a very diverse array of topics. Threads will always tend to drift but the nearer they stay on topic the better. You don't get charged any extra.

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Thanks Warwick
Very informative as usual
I have a quote from Intasure but the Interamerican is nearly €100 cheaper.
Now that I have resigned from my Job, time to watch the budget but only for stuff that we don't enjoy :lol:
Glad you mentioned the Car as this is next on the list for the to do. Will try them too.
Cheers

Mackie

Some more help Please

Postby Mackie » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:34 pm

Does anyone has contact details for a good agent that deals with car import? The embassy recommended that we employ one to assist.

Many thanks

Mackie
Last edited by Mackie on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:01 pm

No direct experience but these might be able to help. If you look at the map you can see that some are down near the docks so I would tend to start with them. Note that some of the entries are not in Heraklion but Attica and Thessaloniki. SKOULATAKIS GRIGORIOS looks to be near the docks and has an email address so he might be a good first try.

Warwick

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Many thanks Warwick, did not know about XO.gr .... Will use for sure in future

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Kilkis wrote:I don't really understand the obsession with paracetamol tablets? They are readily available here in all the usual brands. OK, they are more expensive here, because there are no cheap generic ones for sale, but how many do you consume in a year? One pack probably lasts me a decade so paying €5 more for it isn't exactly going to leave me destitute.

Warwick

Just had some paracetamol brought out and when I saw the box it reminded me of why paracetamol (for me) is better than things like depon. The pills I got contain codeine and as far as I am aware, codeine is still a banned substance in Greece. It certainly was until 2013 and I have seen nothing to suggest that has changed. Bob.

PS: BTW I have to confess to using more than one box a decade! More like 1 box every 4 months. B
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:50 pm

it reminded me of why paracetamol (for me) is better than things like depon.
Depon is a (Greek) brand name for paracetamol. That's pure paracetamol. If your med contains paracetamol + codein it's probably called something else.

allan

Postby allan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:08 pm

I always use Algofren 600 mg, 2 euros for 20 tablets.(Generic name for Ibuprofen )

Relieves my arthritis pain and also the odd headache after a few too many G & T`s.

Works for me.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:31 pm

allan wrote:I always use Algofren 600 mg, 2 euros for 20 tablets.(Generic name for Ibuprofen )

Relieves my arthritis pain and also the odd headache after a few too many G & T`s.

Works for me.

Yes, I use plain ibuprofen 600mg for arthritic pain. But the paracetamol, with codeine is a useful weapon against ordinary aches and pains as opposed to the arthritic ones. Old age isn't for cissies! Bob.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:33 pm

Jean wrote:
it reminded me of why paracetamol (for me) is better than things like depon.
Depon is a (Greek) brand name for paracetamol. That's pure paracetamol. If your med contains paracetamol + codein it's probably called something else.

The point is Jean that I don't think you can get codeine in any form here legally. As I said earlier, I know that as recently as 2013 it was a banned substance. Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:23 pm

Codeine is not totally banned in Greece but it is not available over the counter. All opiates, of which Codeine is one, are only available on prescription from certain doctors, e.g. Oncologists.

If anybody wants a pain killer for inflammation, e.g. arthritis, I would recommend Mesulid BUT, like most anti-inflammatories, it is not good for the kidneys especially if taken long term. It can be taken along with Paracetamol , e.g. 1 tablet of Mesulid in the morning and one at night with Paracetamol taken in between. My wife fell while dog walking with a friend in the UK and cracked a rib on a fallen tree trunk. She was in a lot of pain and Paracetamol wasn't really helping. I sent her some Mesulid from Greece and it really worked.

When I was young Codeine was taken for everything. I was given quarter tablets or half tablets as an infant often crushed and mixed with sugar. It really does taste foul.

Warwick

Muggle

Postby Muggle » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:09 am

Codeine has long been available as are many other analgesics in Greece from any registered doctor including IKA and private.
Lonalgal is the 30mg dose tablets Lonorid 10mg only criticism is none available with out the addition of paracetamol which enhances the effect but not always great if liver function is impaired.
Controlled drugs are not available without prescription but any local pharmacy will supply.
Many other things like fentanyl patches, lignocaine patches, anti inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants like Norgesic also available.
Below is a link to the drugs available here and cost.

Price list in excel & pdf of drugs available in Greece

https://www.sfee.gr/price-bulletin-for-human-use-re-pricing-23-12-2016/?lang=en

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:52 pm

I have had both Mesulid and Lonarid prescribed in the past, but only for very short and specific periods. My intake of paracetamol (with codeine) isn't by any means massive but is available of course over the counter in the UK.

So it's a controlled drug rather than illegal. My mistake folks! Must have a little lie down now with a paracetamol in my whisky!! Only joking of course. Wouldn't dream of polluting the whisky.

Bob.

Return to “General Discussion & News”