More Questions from the newbies

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mackie

Re: More Questions from the newbies

Postby Mackie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:44 pm

YoMo2 wrote:OK, I would be interested to see whatever you can share when you get the quote.

Also, you mentioned a heat pump installation. I installed one before last winter and am very pleased with it. Would be interested to hear what is on offer now. I imported mine from UK as I felt the prices here were quite steep. I also don't like paying for a brand name.... :)

Andrew

Had to get a new fixed quote over the last couple of weeks for the building work and prices have gone up by nearly 25% over all for various elements of the exact scope of work!! With few jobs around I am told, we were surprised of how expensive the new quote is. Back to the drawing board!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Mackie wrote:
YoMo2 wrote:OK, I would be interested to see whatever you can share when you get the quote.

Also, you mentioned a heat pump installation. I installed one before last winter and am very pleased with it. Would be interested to hear what is on offer now. I imported mine from UK as I felt the prices here were quite steep. I also don't like paying for a brand name.... :)

Andrew

Had to get a new fixed quote over the last couple of weeks for the building work and prices have gone up by nearly 25% over all for various elements of the exact scope of work!! With few jobs around I am told, we were surprised of how expensive the new quote is. Back to the drawing board!

Well, as I said before, the original prices you were given didn't sound kosher. I guess you are going to get several builders to quote? As you say, there is not that much work around.

Andrew

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:51 pm

Apparently the builder had equipments and labour just a couple of hundred yards from the house working on a new hotel and this would have saved us quite a bit!
Will get a few quotes if I can as soon as we arrive

[/quote]Well, as I said before, the original prices you were given didn't sound kosher. I guess you are going to get several builders to quote? As you say, there is not that much work around.[/quote]

Mackie

only a few sleeps left

Postby Mackie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Only a few days before we head to Crete full time.
Trying to put together a list of stuff we need for the journey and the must have to make our life easier in the first few months.
Any advise / thoughts are welcomed and appreciated.
Mackie :cheers:

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:45 pm

Be ruthless. When we moved over here we brought only stuff we absolutely knew we would need and couldn't live without. When we moved, six years later we still had eight boxes approx. 50 x 50 x 60 cm in our apothiki.............. unopened. We opened them up (the labels had become indecipherable), wondered why we'd paid to ship half of it and got rid of it. Another eight years on we opened the remaining boxes, kept about 1/3 of the rediscovered crystal glassware we now use on a daily basis, sold 1/3 and donated the remainder as raffle prizes at a charity event. What was left went into the bin except for a few items someone might find useful which were left beside the bins.
We brought no furniture (the house was sparsely furnished with the essentials for holidays) except one quite valuable table and bought what we needed here.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:35 pm

You are probably aware that British food stuffs can be expensive here so bring along a few things you particulalry like :) .

Also, greetings cards are often few and far between here so perhaps stock up on some from one of the British chain stores before you come out.

Enjoy the trip and welcome to Crete!
Someday is now : )

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:21 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:You are probably aware that British food stuffs can be expensive here so bring along a few things you particulalry like :) .
Also, greetings cards are often few and far between here so perhaps stock up on some from one of the British chain stores before you come out.
The only 'British' foodstuffs we buy are Bovril, Marmite, mature Cheddar (occasionally; I also like Graviera, soft French cheeses and blue) and pork pies (even more occasionally), all of which are readily available from local shops in the village. The costs of the Bovril and Marmite is ± a few cents from the price at which we could buy from the 'English' shop in the village: all other food is from local sources.

I see no point in bringing food from the UK simply because of the shipping cost. If you fly there's the cost of hold baggage and if driving from the UK there's no cost but frozen stuff is a non starter and anything fresh will be 3-4 days old by the time you get here. If shipping stuff about the minimum cost is €30-€40. Add that to the cost and the food becomes expensive. If you want things like tinned steak pies or particular brands there's not much option other than an 'English' shop* or shipping. Most shops here have perfectly good alternatives manufactured here or in other European countries. Basically, I can't be bothered to chase down, or arrange transport of, foodstuffs especially when the food produced here is so good.

* Of course they have to build in shipping costs so, yes, English foods here are a little more expensive.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:37 pm

Yes, if you buy local stuff the food here is great, high quality fresh fruit and veg , great cheese and lovely goats milk...If you eat meat,( I have gone back to my old vegetarian ways ) buy local lamb and goat it's very high quality and the animals have had a life grazing in the hills..

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:21 pm

On our way to a car park after a morning in Hania last week we bought what is arguably the best Graviera I've ever tasted. The vendor had it displayed on a plank laid across the back of a battered pick-up parked on the pavement by the car park entrance. As we slowed to look he pulled out a pocket knife with a 5''- 6'' blade and proffered a fairly sizeable taster piece. I had a vague feeling that I'd seen him somewhere before. "Yes, we'll take a kilo." He paused cutting, grinned and said, "You bought some last year, I think." Talk about what good memories these folks have. I'm still amazed after 16 years living here (and about 16 trips before that).

A bit of recollection came drifting back to me. "I think you're from Rethymno ........ err Zoniana?" I was right. (Wonders will never cease). We spent a couple more minutes chatting and he gave instructions on the best way to keep his cheese and had us try a couple of soft cheeses we weren't so keen on. As we left, I'm 95% sure he said, "See you next year."

This is a great place to live.

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks guys. Your input is greatly appreciated as always.
I was not thinking about food as we love local food but having said that, I have a box full of my favorite tea, chocolates(presents ... honestly), some decent pain killers and a few Jars of Garners pickled onions. The rest I can live without.
God only knows what’s in the Mrs treats box, it’s very heavy though :wink:
Space is at a premium so I was looking for practical stuff that makes life easier. I will be doing a lot of DIY and I was not encouraged with what I saw last time in the shops. Hopefully everything is there but maybe I was not looking in the right places!!
Hopefully the power and water are still on. We have to start all over again with the heating / cooling and other building work. Very weird feeling not to be employed on full time basis anymore and travelling with the intention of not coming back for as long as possible!!
Exciting times ahead as we set off on Monday but we will take our time driving and enjoy the trip.
Cheers

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:44 am

Mackie wrote:............ I will be doing a lot of DIY and I was not encouraged with what I saw last time in the shops. Hopefully everything is there but maybe I was not looking in the right places!!.................the heating / cooling and other building work.

There are lots of places to buy DIY tools and materials from some quite large places to the equivalent of an old fashioned UK ironmongers, builders' merchants, woodyards, etc. There are still small places where there's no sign of what you want but ask and someone will climb a ladder and come down with four variations of whatever it is you want. One of the great things is that in most such places if you want seven screws of one size and four of another that's what you can buy, rather than plastic packs of 15. If you're a regular customer and want only, say, four tap washers at three cents each, payment is often refused. After a while it gets embarrassing so you find yourself buying something else you don't really want that costs enough that the shop owner will accept the money, usually about 50 cents.

A warning about DIY. It's fine if you are replacing things but if you're creating something new, even something like a garden wall, technically you need a licence and, in some cases, even if you do everything completely alone, you are required to pay IKA at the rate appropriate to the trade, e.g. a general labourer is at a lower rate than, say, a tiler or an electrician. For small works many people take a chance and get away with not getting permission but all it takes is a neighbour with a friend or relative who does the sort of work you're doing for a living to report and............. There's also the possibility that something you do makes the property 'illegal' i.e. it doesn't match the original, approved plans (which won't matter much until you come to sell).

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Many thanks for the warning. Noted.

What about car parts? Where do you go typically for that?

Cheers

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:52 pm

Usually to the main agent for that make of car but sometimes to one of the car spares shops. It depends what you want. Pretty much like the UK. For things like oil, wiper blades, bulbs etc I would go to a car spares shop. For things like a swing arm or shock absorber to an agent. Mostly I go to a garage and let them do it. My days of rebuilding engines or lying under minis in the freezing cold hammering away at ball joints is long gone. Labour is a lot cheaper here than in the UK. Also modern cars can be a nightmare. "To replace headlamp bulb first remove the engine" etc.

Warwick

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:53 pm

Thanks Warwick, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Kilkis wrote: Also modern cars can be a nightmare. "To replace headlamp bulb first remove the engine" etc.

Warwick

I found that with my sister's Citroen C3, new headlamp bulb ? no problem only a five minute job.
20-30 minutes and a LOT of swearing later, I managed it - left hand side that was, ******* battery was in the way, someone with very small hands may have done it quicker.

Return to “General Discussion & News”