More Questions from the newbies

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mackie

The Greek Bureaucracy

Postby Mackie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:42 am

24 days spent, followed every advice given about purchasing a property, tried to avoid every pitfall mentioned anywhere, drank half of the island raki and yet, still no contract and have to wait for more paperwork. We had the keys from day one but we are unable to start anything as it's not ours officially yet.

You would not believe some of what we have witnessed or been throug. I will put an update on the whole process once completed for others to learn from. We could have saved two weeks knowing what we know now!!

Mackie

Re: More Questions from the newbies

Postby Mackie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:44 am

Frank in Crete wrote:I would be interested in finding out the company you are using as I am building my own house and was going to install air source heat pump running under floor heating and also switchable to heat the pool as the weather gets better and we don't need the house heating but the pool is still too cold to use.

Will share all the info when I can
Cheers

YoMo2

Re: The Greek Bureaucracy

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:05 am

Mackie wrote:..........You would not believe some of what we have witnessed or been through.

Oh, I think we would............ :D :D

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

BST

Postby BST » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:17 pm

We could write a book on it as could the vast majority of people who have built or renovated their own homes. Off hand, I can only think of 1 couple we have come across in 10 years who have been completely happy with their building experience in Crete. As the saying goes, never again!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:49 am

I didn't really have a problem with the building process. Picked a plot of land in September 2004 and signed the contract for it near the end of November 2004 with one quick visit to a Notary. Spent 4 months agreeing the design with the architect and signed a detailed contract with the developer at the end of March 2005. Signed a highly specific Power of Attorney authorising the developer to carry out all the tasks that should be in my name, e.g. application for building permission, application for water, application for power etc and sat back.

Building permission was received at the end of July and work started in early August. I received regular detailed updates on progress with photographs and made two visits to inspect work and select various items such as fixtures and fittings, tiles, paint colours etc. In each case I got to talk to contractors carrying out the work. For example I wanted white high gloss kitchen cupboard doors, which in the UK are finished with a plastic coating. I got a sample and showed it to the joiner doing the work. He told me he couldn't replicate it exactly but he could achieve the same effect using paint and lacquer. He prepared a couple of samples, which he sent to me, and I couldn't tell the difference so I authorised him to go ahead.

Keys to the completed house were handed over in June 2006 two to three months later than agreed in the contract, most of which was due to me delaying a visit for work reasons.

As expected the house was not without snags but not any worse than I had previously experienced with Tarmac in the UK. Most were put right by the builder, a couple I paid for myself and some still exist. I don't really have any significant complaints but at the time I had already lived in Greece for seven years so I suspect I had already been severely desensitised. I suspect things that I would have been yelling and screaming about in the UK now get the "Scata happens" response.

Warwick

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:45 am

One visit to the Notary! We live at the Notary and the Lawyer offices :D we had that many lunches out with them, it has become a frequent and almost daily ritual to go to Heraklion and have lunch with them.

We just want the contract signed so we can start. Taxman both on the Island and Athens causing delays. The local tax guy actually disappeared for 10days with the stamp...... yep, and no one else could do it. Now he is back, we have to wait for the guy in Athens. The cheques are prepared and the seller wants to pay various taxes he owes but can't so the Notary can't allow the contract to be signed without the tax certificat. This is just one problem ...

Going home tomorrow ro bring our stuff by road in a small / medium size van. Any advice?

Interesting article today:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... gress.html

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:03 am

Have you thought about bringing your stuff over by Nomad they charge £5 per cubic foot, we drove over with a truck and trailer and it cost us £3800 including hotels, fuel, tolls, ferries ect. We brought a lot of stuff so it was worth it and I wanted the truck here for building the house, but I am not sure at what point it becomes uneconomical with a small van, and then you have the problem / cost of taking the van back to the uK or re-registration.
I does make a great road trip though !

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:25 am

Yes, thought about it and would rather someone else do it but the Mrs does not trust anyone with some of the stuff she wants to bring (nothing to do with cost).
Will go to the Greek embassy too and check how to bring my own car at a later date (can't afford to risk anything to go wrong with this one) :lol:
Going through various posts on the net to get guidance on scenery and costs
Cheers

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:27 am

Nomad can be trusted with anything that your wife is concerned about. They are expert packers and give a personal service. Certainly better than companies we have used in the UK. Believe me.
I have no connection other than as a happy customer.

Maud

Postby Maud » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:32 pm

If you do the toll free route through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, France (again) Mackie it is a pleasant journey. In Switzerland you will need to buy a vignette, but if you are over 3.5t it is cheaper, as you can buy a 10 day pass, rather than one for 12 months. (See other posts on the website which have all the details). The Italian tolls are worth paying, as the minor roads are rubbish and the tolls cheap.

Re your Daily Mail link..... Kilkis, myself and others have commented for the last few years that the problem has been constantly 'kicked down the road' and would eventually have to be faced.- This might be the time.....or it might just be 'avoided' again. I have a feeling that the impending elections in Germany might lead to some decisions being made this time though!

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Totally agree about Nomad. Great help and advice.

Cruc

Postby Cruc » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:35 pm

We used Nomad to bring most of our furniture and fittings from the UK including glass and crockery. Not a single brakeage and have used Nomad a few times since. Great team and brilliant service. :D :D :wink:
Regards
Cruc

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:41 pm

Mackie wrote:... The local tax guy actually disappeared for 10days with the stamp...... yep, and no one else could do it...

The "only one person can do it" scenario is common in Greece so you need to get used to it. Tomorrow I am submitting my application to renew my Greek driving licence. With luck I will get the new one in two months. You've guessed it. One man in Athens with one laminating machine produces all the licences. If he goes off ill or on holiday or the machine breaks then it will be longer. It's not just in official organisations. Private business can be as bad. My original bank in northern Greece had one person who dealt with credit cards and one person who dealt with pink slips. If you had a problem with either and the person was not there your problem didn't get solved until they came back. My local village and the surrounding ones had a female OGA pathologos. When she got pregnant she had a bit over a year of maternity leave. No doctor in those villages until she returned to work.

Mackie wrote:...Interesting article today:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... gress.html

Despite his many faults, everything Varoufakis said about the economics of the bailout programme was correct. The austerity regime drove Greece into a debt deflationary spiral from which it cannot recover on its own. At least the IMF has admitted it got its predictions wrong. The governments of the EU countries cannot admit to their voters that they won't get their money back so they pretend and extend. The ECB, and other central banks for that matter, cannot admit that quantitative easing doesn't work despite ample proof from Japan, where it has failed for over 20 years. Looking on the bright side, however, Greece's debt problems will fade into obscurity when major, multinational, private, corporate junk bonds start to default and the world discovers that they have been packaged into AAA rated Collateralised debt Obligations, CDOs, just like sub-prime mortgages were.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Ditto comments on Nomad by others. They packed and moved us out here and we've used them several times since. Last year, amongst other items, they packed up and brought out a crystal glass and decanter set we'd inherited - it all arrived in perfect condition.

We too had a relatively trouble free land purchase and build. My partner is an architect and our very long term friend here is a Civil Engineer and ran the build for us. Like Kilkis, we had a few snags which were largely sorted out at no cost to us but we also paid for one or two things to be done, a bit of swings and roundabouts, i.e. We decided we wanted better water pressure and paid for the pump.
Someday is now : )

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Kilkis siad:

Despite his many faults, everything Varoufakis said about the economics of the bailout programme was correct.

For me, he didn't/doesn't have m(any) faults ....I respect your point of view so please elaborate if you have the time

I have to ask always, what is the "back story" to ALL (globally) that is going on ...Τι μπορούμε να κάνουμε εκτός από την αλλαγή της συνείδησης μα

Return to “General Discussion & News”