More Questions from the newbies

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mackie

Re: More Questions from the newbies

Postby Mackie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:23 am

Kilkis wrote:..... Despite his many faults, everything Varoufakis said about the economics of the bailout programme was correct. ....

Warwick

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIOKLH1eknM

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Mackie wrote:
Kilkis wrote:..... Despite his many faults, everything Varoufakis said about the economics of the bailout programme was correct. ....

Warwick

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIOKLH1eknM

As is demonstrated if you watch this interview. Fascinating stuff.

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:39 pm

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:08 pm

YoMo2 wrote:As is demonstrated if you watch this interview. Fascinating stuff.

Andrew

There are a lot of good articles in the FT & Telegraph yesterday and today but his two interviews on Aljazeera over the last two days are good and especially where he summarizes the situation as "extend and pretend".
I think the IMF will pull out, Greece will end up out of the Eurozone and Germany (and others) will forgive the debts .... :wink:

It's time to plan the return trip to Crete as soon as I can get it arranged.

Maud and Frank kindly mentioned some highlight of routes previously but I am after some more details please and any advice on insurances, road side assistance, best route and any other useful information would be great.
We are not in a rush and would like to see as much as possible as cheap and comfortable as possible while we have the time this trip. Would appreciate any help or pointing in the right direction for recent experiences.

Here is an interesting question for everyone;
If you have the space in the car and not planning to return to the UK until next Jan, What would you bring with you from the UK? What do you miss most or you find very expensive in Greece and the alternative is not as good?

Cheers
Mackie

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Yorkshire tea (loose leaf and bags); Sainsbury's own brand Scottish porridge oats, gravy granules, disposable razors, paracetamols, antihistamines.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:03 pm

There is a lot of useful information on this thread and on other threads in the same section of the forum.

There are some English shops around so you can get things that are not normally sold in Crete but obviously it costs a bit more because it has to be shipped over. For example this is the Greengibble Price List so you can use that to get an idea of what is available and what it costs.

What to bring very much depends on your tastes. I tend to fly back to the UK about twice per year so what I bring back is limited by my baggage allowance. I don't bring anything that I can get here even if it is more expensive. For example, English tea bags are available here at two to three times the price in the UK but a packet of 40 would last me a year at least, and probably more, so the extra few Euro is not going to bankrupt me. I tend to buy all my clothes and shoes in the UK because I find it difficult to get ones to fit me here. If I was average size I wouldn't bother. I bring OXO beef stock cubes because I prefer them to the Knorr type that you seem to see everywhere here. Similarly gravy granules which I think you will only get in the British shops. I bring half a dozen tubes of Ingrams shaving cream because I have been using it since I started shaving and I don't intend to change now. It's not that easy to get in the UK now and impossible here. I am addicted to the own brand generic French mustard that they sell in Asda and Tesco so I bring a few jars of that. I also bring some of the Schwarz packet mixes for cooking easy meals. You can get some packet mixes here such as Bolognese and Carbonara but not much else. You can also get jars of curry paste here such as Pataks.

Apart from the shoes, clothes and Ingrams it wouldn't bother me that much if I didn't get anything else.

Warwick

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Many thanks. Please keep the suggestions / links coming.

Just in case you have not seen this:
Initiative launched calling for UK citizens to be issued with EU passports after Brexit

edit ..... posted in the right thread

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:16 am

As already said, most things are gettable but at a price. Things like tea bags, baked beans, canned soups, oxo cubes, cream crackers are what I would bring over. When family come out to stay, teabags are what I ALWAYS asked for.

If I pop over to the UK I always stock up on Birthday cards and other greeting cards because they can be expensive here too.
Someday is now : )

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:28 pm

A decent pork pie and some really mature cheddar.
Oh, and shaving oil from Asda and some paracetamol tablets. The rest is just fine here.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:45 pm

I don't really understand the obsession with paracetamol tablets? They are readily available here in all the usual brands. OK, they are more expensive here, because there are no cheap generic ones for sale, but how many do you consume in a year? One pack probably lasts me a decade so paying €5 more for it isn't exactly going to leave me destitute.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:57 pm

Depon that you see in all the super markets is paracetamol ...very cheap

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Thank you Warwick for your reply to my enquiry and also thank you Mackie for the link to the Varoufakis interview.

I don't see that this amazing person (Varoufakis) has any disernible faults. He says exactly how things are/were without retort to ridiculous emotional nonsense.

I hope his movement DiEM25 succeeds.

Regarding bringing stuff from the UK ...you can buy paracetamol here...it is called Depon. Personally I wouldn't touch Depon or paracetamol with any length of bargepole.

The Island of Crete provides some increible non-pharmaceutical remedies for aches and pains in the body. One such might be organically produced St John's Wort oil - (for true efficacy harvest must be between 21 and 24 June in any year i.e. just around summer solstice).

I feel SO incredibly lucky to live on this island,

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:04 pm

We could be talking in $ and not € soon :wink:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ed-Malloch

The old School Rothschild now also on board advising the Greeks, if you believe the reports this morning !!

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:17 pm

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 pm

Cetirizene Hydrochloride is cheaper in the UK. Also Ibuprofen (not that I would touch it!)

Return to “General Discussion & News”