IKA Heraklion

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Peggy

IKA Heraklion

Postby Peggy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:36 pm

I'm new to the Heraklion area this year (previously renewed my IKA book in a different prefecture); I have found 3 different offices in Heraklion (near the airport) where I believe I need to visit to renew my IKA book.
I'm struggling to translate the different offices and also having no luck phoning them:-

TOPIKO YPOKATASTIMA @ 122 Irodotou Avenue 28102 22595

DIOIKITIKES YPIRESIES @ 35C Stadiou St. 28102 46462

or

TOPIKO IATREIO @ 122 Karias St. 28102 45922. (Think this office may be doctors??)

Does anyone know which office is the correct one or can anyone translate better than I can?

Many thanks in advance.

SatCure

Re: IKA Heraklion

Postby SatCure » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:35 pm

I don't know but I found:-

IKA-SECRETARIAT 1 National road Heraklion-mires 3rd KM, 714 10 Heraklion Heraklion
IKA-MODERATOR 2 National road Heraklion-mires 3rd KM, 714 10 Heraklion Heraklion
IKA-LOCAL BRANCH N. ALIKARNASSOS 3 Herodotus 122 Avenue, 714 08 NEA Alikarnassos Heraklion
IKA-LOCAL CLINIC THERISSOY 4 Anogia 77, 713 04 Heraklion Heraklion
IKA IRAKLIOU (AGIOU MINA) 5 Agios Minas 11, Agios Dimitrios, 712 01 Heraklion Heraklion
IKA-LOCAL CLINIC DEILINWN 6 Mela Pavlou 49, 713 04 Heraklion Heraklion
IKA-LOCAL NEA ALIKARNASSOS OFFICE 7 Caria 122, 714 08 NEA Alikarnassos Heraklion
IKA ALIKARNASSOS-ADMINISTRATIVE SERVICES 8 Stadium 35 c, 714 08 NEA Alikarnassos Heraklion

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:07 pm

Okaaay, thanks for that Satcure, clear as mud, lol.
Think I'll try your final one; I like the sound of 'Administrative Services'.

I don't suppose it's odd that you found the 3 I did with similar but slightly different road names. I am sure though that I have the correct area in Heraklion.

I think I'll visit them tomorrow and let everyone know which office is correct for further use....if I can.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:05 pm

I would ask at the nearest KEP office.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:40 pm

The addresses you posted and SatCure's addresses are simply crazy mixed up English and Greek versions.

122 Irodotou Avenue = Herodotus 122 Avenue,
35C Stadiou St = Stadium 35 c
122 Karias St = Caria 122

Your addresses use a letter by letter transcription from Greek to English followed by Avenue or St in English. They also use the English convention of putting the number before the name. SatCure's version uses the more normal method of using a transliteration or a translation of the meaning from Greek to English but maintains the Greek convention of putting the number last.

I agree with SatCure's advice to ask at KEP. They are sure to know which office to use. If you prefer to schlep round Heraklion I would start with the Administrative Offices at Stadiou 35c. It's pretty close to the western end of the runway.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:47 pm

In both Chania and Rethymno there is one main IKA office where people go to renew their vivliaria. The equivalent in Heraklio is the one mentioned, on the Moires road. Take the Moires turn-off from the national road, head south under the bridge, and when you see the turning to the right which leads to Makro-as-was and the University Hospital, IKA is the big building facing you (still on the main Moires road).

That's how you get there. As for what you do next as regards your car, I'm afraid I can't help. That building is only a few years old, purpose-built, and allegedly has no car park....

Good luck.

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:12 pm

Great idea SatCure, think I will go to Hersonissos KEP tomorrow before trying to find correct IKA office.

Also Warwick, great advice, as usual, although I was trying to be a tad flippant about addresses, seems there's usually 3 ways to pronoun names here.

Thanks also Clio for your info. I did think initially that I would need to visit the main IKA on the Moires road (which for us is the other side of Heraklion) but a neighbour told me that I would need to visit an office near the airport, just pass the IKEA shop.
I have only driven into Heraklion once and then I got lost driving out, don't really relish trying to park at the main IKA office on the Moires road with no carpark.

I've never used KEP for anything before but they are sounding the best solution.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:18 am

The vehicle entrance to the compound around the IKA building Clio mentioned is down a side street on the right immediately after the IKA building if you are approaching from the National Highway. Directly opposite that entrance is the entrance to a paid for car park that is quite big. I would guess you would get parked in there quite easily.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:04 am

And if you do end up having to go to the main IKA building Peggy, it should be easy to get a bus. Either a city bus or a Moires one (the latter I think from the Chania Gate).

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:29 am

Thanks Clio & Warwick for the info.
I did visit KEP in Hersonissos but they were unwilling/unable to renew our books, they did advise as to which office I should go to.....Irodotou Avenue or maybe Stadiou St, both near the airport or the main office near the University hospital (Moires turning)!! They did say to phone them 1st. :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:42 am

KEP can be a bit variable, probably due to the individuals in each office. Generally I have found them very helpful, with the exception of the office in Gerani. Whatever I ask there they claim they can't do it and then, when I ask at another KEP office, they can. I also think there might be some sort of dispute going on? I'm told that, by law, KEP are supposed to do the registering of pet passports but, in Chania at least, they are refusing to do it. I don't know the details because I am not involved with looking after dogs.

I am surprised that they could not give you a definitive answer on which IKA office to go to. Good luck with phoning IKA. It's probably quicker to go yourself. The only way I have managed to get any sort of response from IKA is by standing in front of the person responsible. Even then 90 % of the time the response was simply a shrug of the shoulders. Difficult to see on the phone.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”