Felling Cypress trees

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Hector

Felling Cypress trees

Postby Hector » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Hi, I was vaguely under the impression that it was illegal, indeed that it carried a 1,000 euro fine to fell a Cypress tree in the Apokoronas region. So yesterday a 'neighbour' lopped down a beautiful 70 foot specimen that we had previously enjoyed the sight of. Now in its place there is a gaping chasm. He hasn't done anything with it, just left it where it fell. It is on his land about five metres from our boundary wall. I know we can't put it back up but he has other trees Holm Oak) to go at! He has a lot of land, much of it with rotting and neglected trees he could have chopped down for firewood if he needed it but this was a perfectly healthy, beautiful tree. It's very sad.

BST

Re: Felling Cypress trees

Postby BST » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:57 pm

I thought that as well. It would be interesting to have a definitive answer. I thought forestry certificates were there to prevent this but I don't think your neighbour is the only one. Is there a difference inside and outside village boundaries?

Hector

Postby Hector » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Don't know. We are inside the village boundary.

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:22 pm

Silly question probably but have you asked your neighbour why he cut it down?
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Hector

Postby Hector » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:26 pm

No. Not a lot of point... I just wanted to know the rules so if it is illegal I can tell someone so he doesn't take down any more! He doesn't strike me as the kind of man who would welcome any input from a woman ;)

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:31 am

I asked the guy who used to be the Environmental Officer at the Apokoronas Dimos offices in Vrysses. Here is his answer:

Cypress trees fall under the jurisdiction of the forest law, so you need to have obtained a felling permit from the forestry department in Hania. That is if the tree or trees lie outside of the official village boundaries (as determined by law). In the case that the tree lies within the village boundaries then the owner need to have obtained at least a permit from the municipality (the environment office in Kalyves). I think there could be an obligation to obtain a permit from the building authority in Hania (where you get building permissions), I am not sure about the latter. I am not sure also which criteria (if any) the municipality considers for tree felling or not. FYI the council reached to the forestry department and they collaborate for the felling of damaged, sick or already felled trees so that the firewood could be supplied to families in need. So if you know areas where trees are damaged or became a public hazard during the last storm you could reach out to the municipal social enterprise (Mrs Benaki).

Bob Scott
Apokoronas Environment Group
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Hector

Postby Hector » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks Bob, really appreciate the information. When we first moved here five years ago there was a large Cypress tree making the road to our house narrow. People we knew said it was likely to incur a fine if we removed it. We had no intention of removing and so didn't because it is lovely. It is such a shame to see something vandalised for the sake of it and I doubt he has any permissions. But at the end of the day I doubt there is anything that can now be done about it. Thanks anyway.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:16 pm

Sadly it happens everywhere, Hector. The son of one of my previous bosses in the UK was training to be a civil engineer and worked for a major building company during his summer holidays. The boss of a new site he was assigned to work on put together a team of ten men with chainsaws and three JCBs to cut down and uproot 30 trees on the site before they did anything else at all. When he asked why he didn't just use one man to cut them down and then bring in one JCB to rip up the roots he said, "Because he wanted the whole lot completely cleared in one hour". All the trees had protection orders on them and he worked out that if he got everything cleared in one hour or less there wouldn't be time for protesters to organise and stop them. The company had already factored in the cost of the fines into the price of the properties they were going to build.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:47 pm

The bloke with the chainsaws and the jcb wasn't a Scotsman named Trump, was he?? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Long time ago when the Donald was still hustling in Queens, Bob.

Warwick

Hector

Postby Hector » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm not a tree hugger or anything, I just don't like the wanton destruction of something beautiful just because someone knows they are above the law and can get away with it. It was a lovely tree. And it did allegedly have some degree of protection. Allegedly. Anyway I am over it. If if complain the repercussions won't be on him they will be on me. That's how it works here isn't it?

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:07 pm

Hector wrote:If I complain the repercussions won't be on him they will be on me. That's how it works here isn't it?

Yes.
bobscott wrote:FYI the council reached to the forestry department

Is this a Google translation from the Greek? I don't understand it.

Return to “General Discussion & News”