Expiration of existing 50 Euro notes

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
AnnieWP

Expiration of existing 50 Euro notes

Postby AnnieWP » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi

Does anyone have information on the issue of new 50 Euro notes and the expiration of existing 50 Euro notes. I was informed by Kafenion talk today that as of the beginning of April that all existing 50 Euro notes must be surrendered and new ones will be issued. After the beginning of April if you haven't done this the old notes will become invalid.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this or know where I can get more information about it?

This is all I can find on the internet: "The date when the first series of euro banknotes ceases to be legal tender will be announced well in advance. However, the banknotes of the first series will always retain their value: they can be exchanged for an unlimited period of time at the Eurosystem NCBs."

Does anyone know if there has been an announcement that I've missed?

Thanks
Annie

Kilkis

Re: Expiration of existing 50 Euro notes

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:05 pm

The new Europa series of €50 notes has not been issued yet so the old ones certainly cannot be withdrawn. They will start to be issued on 4 April 2017. Currently new Europa and old series €5, €10 and €20 are in circulation together. Neither the design nor the date for issue of the new series €100 and €200 notes has been announced yet but it should be before the end of 2018. There is no plans to issue a new €500 series and it is intended to stop issuing the old design at the end of 2018. There is no plan to withdraw old €500 series notes from circulation. See:

http://www.new-euro-banknotes.eu/
http://www.new-euro-banknotes.eu/News-E ... FURT-TODAY
http://www.new-euro-banknotes.eu/News-E ... 0-BANKNOTE

and other links on the first link above.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Hope they haven't got animal fat in 'em :wink:
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Charliesangel

Postby Charliesangel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:11 pm

Thanks Warwick for info ;)

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:32 am

Slightly off topic but related. If, like me, you tend to keep a small amount of UK currency so that you have some cash in your pocket when you return to the UK you should be aware of the following:

1 The old paper £5 note ceases to be legal tender on 5 May 2017. After that date you can only change them at the Bank of England, either in person or by post.
    2 The new 12 sided £1 coin comes into circulation today. The old round £1 coin ceases to be legal tender on 15 October 2017. After that date you can still deposit old £1 coins into your UK bank account over the counter at most/all (?) UK banks. It may be possible to simply exchange them for new coins at a bank branch but it is also possible that they will only do that if you have an account with them. See FAQs.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”