IKA & Marriage

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Yin&Yang

Re: IKA & Marriage

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Well I've hit a brick wall with IKA.

SusieQ I have PMd you.
Someday is now : )

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:20 pm

This is a temporary, watch this space update. I seem to be getting somewhere; IKA and DWP have been very helpful. Slight hiccup in that IKA forgot to return an authorised copy of my partner's S1 form when they received it in 2013, so that has to be resolved first!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:24 am

Yin&Yang wrote:This is a temporary, watch this space update. I seem to be getting somewhere; IKA and DWP have been very helpful. Slight hiccup in that IKA forgot to return an authorised copy of my partner's S1 form when they received it in 2013, so that has to be resolved first!

I suspect "forgot" is not the correct verb. "Couldn't be &rs3d" is probably more accurate. Everybody I know who has applied for an EHIC from DWP has been told that IKA had not returned the S1 form, usually many years after it was submitted.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:36 am

Kilkis wrote:I suspect "forgot" is not the correct verb. "Couldn't be &rs3d" is probably more accurate. Everybody I know who has applied for an EHIC from DWP has been told that IKA had not returned the S1 form, usually many years after it was submitted.

Warwick

Yep, happened to us. Got on to DWP and they sent out a duplicate.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Ahhhh, I see! @frustrated!!

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu May 18, 2017 8:48 am

Update: OK, long story short is that today I received a new IKA book as a dependent on my partner - yay!

For others in the same position, I post our experience here. When we visited the IKA offices initially with our new Cohab Agreement, we were told that this was not recognised and we needed an S1 form from the DWP showing me as a dependant upon my partner. Despite several discussions with IKA, we were told that without an S1 form Greece would be unable to reclaim anything paid out on my future medical needs. I spoke to the DWP and the fact that we had a Cohab Agreement was irrelevant to them; they simply asked if I was dependant upon my partner which I confirmed and they sent out an S1 form to myself and my partner indicating my dependance, which we received a few days ago.

This morning we visited IKA with what felt like a library's worth of paperwork but what in fact was asked for was: my partner's IKA book, a joint tax return (we only had individual ones but will in future have a joint one, so she accepted those), a passport sized photo of me, our passports. I was told that future renewals of our books could be done at a KEP office. My old pink IKA book was returned to me and a new green book was issued to me showing me as a dependant.

Just relieved that it's done.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 18, 2017 9:05 am

A quick addition to that update. Whenever you are visiting any government department always take photocopies of any documents, like passports, tax returns etc, as well as the originals. They usually need to see the originals but they also want a copy to keep on their files. Normally they won't make the photocopy themselves and send you away to get one. There used to be a shop directly opposite IKA that did copies but it is closed now so I am not sure if there is anything nearby.

Over the years I've both used KEP and renewed directly at IKA. If you get your timing right renewing at IKA isn't a big problem. I've sometimes gone in on the days between Christmas and New Year or shortly after New Year and the queues have been short. One trick is to go into IKA and if the queues are long go to the KEP office close to IKA. Follow the Souda road towards Chania to the first traffic lights where two roads go off to the left with an IN.KA supermarket between them. KEP is a short distance up the right hand road.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu May 18, 2017 10:15 am

Good advice from Kilkis. We always ensure that we have a couple of photocopies of everything with us and it pays off.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 am

In addition and perhaps it is implied in my earlier posts, but I realise that when leaving the UK for Crete I could have saved a lot of time in describing myself to the DWP as a dependant of my partner, rather than treating myself as an individual applying for overseas EU reciprocal health care :?

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri May 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Update on my Update: I emailed our accountant, George Atsalakis, this morning to ask for all future tax returns by us to be submitted jointly and our Cohabitation Agreement came into play - we can only submit a joint tax return by being either married or cohabited.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:07 pm

In possible and probable conclusion to this thread, Andrew received his application form for an EHIC card (as a resident of Greece) in June. Although I was on his S1 form as his dependant, my details have only just been processed (?!) and I am reliably informed by DW&P that they have me registered for any claims IKA may make regarding my health care and that hip hip hooray, an application form for an EHIC card is on its way to me.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Wow! That's quick. It usually takes several years.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General Discussion & News”