Euro exchange

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
allan

Euro exchange

Postby allan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:59 pm

Having a visit organised to the UK soon and needing some UK money while there I decided to find the best exchange rate for my cash /Euro`s.

A visit to the Bank of Greece (Not the National) was fruitless,` sorry we don`t hold sterling and we cannot get any`. very modern bank but no customers.

I was advised to contact my own bank (Alpha) to see what they could do. The cashier at my local branch suggested ringing head office in Athens.

As far as head office was concerned Britain is no longer a member of the EU and so exchange to Sterling was unavailable at the moment.

I explained that the UK are still in the EU and it would take many years if we were to leave the EU system.

Reply...We cannot deal in Sterling at the moment...Thank you.

So I am reduced to exchanging my Euro`s at the airport at a pxxs poor rate.

Unless anybody has a fist full of pounds they want to exchange at the going rate...

Allan

filippos

Re: Euro exchange

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Allan, we have some pounds left over from a recent UK trip and could let you have enough to get you to a UK bank/exchange dealer and for short term survival to avoid being ripped off at the airport. Let me know.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:07 am

Yesterday I was forced into a situation where I had to pay a UK Invoice in Sterling using PayPal and I only have my Greek Euro credit card registered with them. I got 4.5 % worse than the fixing rate. It makes the poxy airport rates suddenly look quite attractive.

I can't help you with cash, Allan, but if you have a relative or friend that you trust, who you will be visiting early in your trip, I could transfer Sterling to their account and you could transfer Euro to mine here. Exchange at whatever the fixing rate is when we make the transfer. Filippos' offer would give you enough to get you to their house.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:00 am

Warwick. Sent you a pm. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

paul g

Postby paul g » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:01 am

you definitely need both Greek and UK bank and PayPal accounts out here.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:11 am

Yes I agree.. Keeping a UK bank account if you can is a good plan ....

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:14 pm

For anyone near Vamos, I think the "Greengibble" shop in Litsarda can help you out.

Return to “General Discussion & News”