Here comes the Dollar

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Cruc

Here comes the Dollar

Postby Cruc » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:44 pm

Regards
Cruc

paul g

Re: Here comes the Dollar

Postby paul g » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:56 pm

I bet it would freak them out even more if they adopted the £.

ChadLight

Postby ChadLight » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 am

paul g wrote:I bet it would freak them out even more if they recommend the phallosan forte and adopted the £.

Lol, they'd go into a frenzy.
Last edited by ChadLight on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:43 am

Very confusing, one-minute austerity coming to an end, next Greece deeper in debt and Trump sticking his oar in..............
Dave H

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:13 pm

How very Daily Mail. Wonder if Trump would call it 'fake' news?
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:34 pm

Well, even for the Mail, this is as about as bonkers as it gets, Bob. Can you really imagine the US "sharing" the dollar with a country so deeply in debt?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:43 am

Well the US$ is the worlds reserve currency, at least for the time being, so there is absolutely no problem at all in Greece adopting it as their currency. All they have to do is hold enough US$ in foreign currency reserves to support the Greek economy. If Greece holds around US$250 billion in US$ foreign currency reserves then it could switch to the US$ tomorrow. Unfortunately, as far as I can see, Greece has a total of a little less than €6.4 billion in foreign currency reserves and I have no idea what proportion of that is in US$ but certainly not all of it. This is a complete non-starter.

It is relatively easy for countries that have massive natural resources that they export and sell in US$ to adopt the US$ as their currency but that is not a description that fits Greece.

Warwick

Danny

Postby Danny » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:39 am

I have a friend from England who calls that newspaper the Daily Liar, he said that the lies written in that paper helped the Brexit vote, I wondered if that was true why wasn't action taken and wonder why if there was so many lies how come so many believed in it ? I occasionally look at that newspaper and it looks more like the Hello magazine than a serious newspaper.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:47 am

Daily Wail is another alternative title and, although I've never the magazine you mention, I suspect you're being unfair to 'Hello'.
As for lies in the newspapers I think most, if not all (I read many but not all), told porkies whichever result they favoured. As for influencing their readers that's entirely natural especially as most people tend to favour sources of info that broadly concurs with their own established views. Were no readers of the Torygraph or Grauniad influenced by their choice of reading matter?

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:47 pm

Danny wrote:I have a friend from England who calls that newspaper the Daily Liar, he said that the lies written in that paper helped the Brexit vote, I wondered if that was true why wasn't action taken and wonder why if there was so many lies how come so many believed in it ?

What sort of action did you have in mind Danny? Those of us here without the vote can do b****r all about it. There are those who support BREXIT and have every right to do so. As I see it, the issue of whether to leave the EU or not was never fully, rationally, ironed out and explained. So, jump on a band-wagon, tell porkies right left and centre and so many of the population end up totally confused that they resort to their instincts of not trusting experts (e.g. 5-a day is now 10-a day? Go to work on an egg? Drink a pinta a day?) that they go with what they want to believe. Sounds good - must be good. Again, as the Greeks put it so clearly, τη να κάνουμε?

I remember once seeing in a school text-book a picture of a youth, lounging against a wall, with a fag in his mouth and the speech bubble coming out of the side of his mouth read 'What's good enough for my Dad is good enough for me'. The caption under the picture was simply ''Ignorance'. There's a lot of it about still. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:18 am

Danny wrote:... wonder why if there was so many lies how come so many believed in it ?...

Partly because people are inclined to believe whatever supports their own preconceptions and partly because in many areas there isn't one answer. If you are an employer who wants to take on an Hungarian software engineer who has got exactly the skills you need to develop a new product then free movement of people is wonderful. If you are a pensioner who suddenly finds that half the shops in the high street are Polish and you can't understand a word anybody is saying in your local café then it is a disaster. If you are a manufacturer exporting all over Europe then having a single set of regulations to meet, instead of a different regulation in each country, is a godsend. If you are a manufacturer who doesn't export at all then those regulations are seen as unnecessary red tape and a huge cost burden. You can take any aspect at all of being in the EU or being outside it and one person will benefit and another will lose out. What the overall effect will be nobody knows. Whatever Theresa May negotiates if you are a winner you will be delighted and if you are a loser you will be pi$$ed off. One thing I can absolutely guarantee - it isn't going to be More's Utopia neither will it be Dante's Inferno.

From my perspective virtually every negative aspect of "being a member of the EU" is mainly the responsibility of the UK government but they cannot admit to that. There are EU rules governing the movement of EU citizens but no UK government has done anything to implement them. They have implemented the rules into UK law but not actually done anything practical to make them work. They have taken the increased revenue from taxation and NI contributed by foreign workers but not provided the infrastructure that is required to support those immigrants, e.g. more school places, more GP surgeries etc. Frankly I couldn't care less who writes UK law; I only care what it says. How may people who voted in the referendum have ever read an EU Treaty, an EU Directive or the UK Bills and Statutory instruments that implement them into UK law? How many know what the ECJ can and cannot rule on? How many understand the difference between the ECJ and the ECHR? How many understand how the EU functions and exactly who makes what decisions?

Warwick

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:19 am

Not being from the UK but knowing many people here who are were firm believers in staying within the EEC, that I suppose would be expected but there seems to have been so many outright lies spoken in UK newspapers and by the three people who advocated leaving, some of the promises like the 350 million pound a week going into your NHS was a perfect example and yet I find it crazy that these three people , one is now your Foreign secretary, a proven liar and a proven European who on the face of it told lies to further himself, the same applies to the man Gove another manipulator and who was out for himself and finally the racist Farage, my god that man is a danger to the world nevermind the EEC and yet here they are still in public office. How the UK and your prime minister could appoint Johnston after his actions and words in the leave campaign leaves me stuck for words. We Dutch have our problems too but I would hope that we at least would not openly appoint liars and opportunists into government.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:16 am

It's quite simple really, Danny. You keep your friends close but your enemies closer. By appointing Johnson, Davis and Fox to key government positions, Theresa May has concluded that it's better to have them pi**ing OUT of the tent than into it. In effect, she said to them: You campaigned for it, so now you can make it happen. Farage, of course, is not in public office and unlikely ever to be so.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:28 am

She put people who were leading leave campaigners into the offices that relate most closely to the Brexit process. She was a weak remain campaigner. She probably thinks that this will allow her to say that she did everything she could if the Brexit negotiation results in a deal that leave voters don't like. It wasn't my fault guys. One thing you can say about Theresa May is that she has been quite brilliant at protecting her own back.

As far as I know Farage is still an MEP so he is still in public office and still being paid from tax payers money. He has consistently railed against the EU gravy train but his party are the most guilty of milking it. UKIP has attended 62.3 % of votes in the EU parliament at least 15 % less than any other party from any of the 28 countries.

I tend to agree with most of your comments, Danny, but I was also someone who believed that the UK should remain. You will find many people on here who think Farage is a god and that everything said by the leave campaign is the absolute truth even when it is demonstrably not. For example, Farage himself admitted in an interview the day after the vote that the £350 million per week claim was untrue. He could do that because there were two leave campaigns and he didn't lead the one that had that pasted on the side of a bus. I don't remember him saying anything during the campaign. I think one problem during the campaign was that people were unable to distinguish opinions from verifiable facts. The claim by the leave campaign that the UK will be better off out of the EU because we can do trade deals with other countries is an opinion. The claim by the remain campaign that the UK will be £x per year worse off if it leaves the EU is an opinion. The claim about the £350 million is a verifiable fact and is demonstrably false.

Warwick

Danny

Postby Danny » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:37 am

I can see the reasoning by your reply Mixos but not really convinced by it, In Holland the British Foreign secretary is branded as a liar in most of the media, some have called him a traitor, one newspaper went on to say that knowing his track record he could never be trusted and for him to have been offered the foreign secretary's position just show the hypocrisy of the British government.

Return to “General Discussion & News”