Using car with non EU plates on Crete?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
mgm

Using car with non EU plates on Crete?

Postby mgm » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:06 pm

Hi,

Soon I will move to Crete as EU citizen, would be impossible to drive car registered outside of EU while living in Greece?

TweetTweet

Re: Using car with non EU plates on Crete?

Postby TweetTweet » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:11 pm

This should give you all the info you need.

http://www.livingincrete.net/cartemporaryimport.html

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Unfortunately TweetTweet the link only deals with EU registered cars. mgm is talking about a car registered outside the EU.

I think it must be possible to drive a non-EU registered car here for a short time but I don't know what the rules are. Possibly the same 6 months that an EU registered car can stay here but that is a pure guess. When I lived in northern Greece lots of tourists used to visit holiday resorts in northern Greece from non-EU Balkan countries and they all tended to drive down in their own cars so clearly it is possible, at least for a time. Ask at the Greek Embassy/Consulate in whichever country you are resident now.

Warwick

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Ooops, sorry!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Assuming it is possible I suppose the requirement to declare the car on first arrival will apply rather than declare it at the deadline by which it must be re-registered. I think it's likely to be possible, unless rules have changed, as a man (Greek National) returning to Kalyves after many years living in the USA brought with him his US registered car that subsequently bore Greek number plates.

Did he follow the regulations or use a 'fakelaki'? I have no way of knowing.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:43 am

Someone I know recently brought his car over permanently from Scandinavia and he discovered it best to declare the fact immediately upon arrival as leaving it any longer causes issues, not insurmountable, but issues nonetheless.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:41 am

All the Scandinavian countries are either in the EU or in the EEA so the rules linked by TweetTweet would apply, Ying&Yang. mgm is asking about a non-EU registered car.

I checked the booklet I have and basically the rules regarding importation are the same no matter where the car comes from, i.e. EU or non-EU. If the person is a non-Greek resident, or a Greek resident who works abroad for more than six months in a year, then the car can be brought in for a period of up to six months. After that it must leave the country or be immobilised off road. In the latter case it must be immobilised for 24 months. For somebody who is Greek resident it can be brought in for 1 month after which it must be registered in Greece.

The charges for registering in Greece are the same although there may be additional bureaucracy and costs to prove that the vehicle meets EU construction standards if it originated outside the EU. While the basic standards used to approve vehicles are international they are not necessarily applied in the same way in different countries. A friend who emigrated to the USA took his Harley Electroglide with him thinking it would be straightforward because it is produced in America. In reality it cost him almost what the bike was worth to convert it from EU specification to US specification.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”