New Residence Permits

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
bobscott

New Residence Permits

Postby bobscott » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:53 am

This article is interesting for what it says, and what it doesn't say!

http://www.ekathimerini.com/216732/article/ekathimerini/news/new-residence-permits-to-be-issued-for-foreigners-living-in-greece

LIke:

what is the status of the current 'permanent' residence permit which has no expiry date
what is the status of UK residence permit holders given the likelihood that the UK will not be in the EU at a date to be decided

From the sound of it, this is just Greece getting its act together on earlier legislation started 15 years ago and reinforced 9 years ago! So possibly it is of little or no concern to UK expats, but will of course be interesting to non-UK expats on this forum.

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Re: New Residence Permits

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:22 am

It is based on Council Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002 as amended by Council Regulation (EC) No 380/2008.

It is really an updated form of documentation related to the original regulations governing the movement of EU citizens to other EU countries. It doesn't change those rules, only how you prove that you have met those rules. As such, when the UK leaves the EU it will not be relevant unless the right to residence for UK citizens is preserved in the Brexit negotiations.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:46 pm

This is for NON EU Nationals only - the term ‘third country’ is used in the Treaties, where it means a country that is not a member of the European Union.

So, this looks like it will be our new type of Residents Permit after Brexit!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:43 am

Carolina wrote:This is for NON EU Nationals only ...

I must admit I didn't read the directives that I linked in detail. I had a quick look at the 2008 version, since it is the most recent, and misread the following paragraph in the preamble:

(5) At its meeting in Thessaloniki on 19 and 20 June 2003, the European Council stressed that a coherent approach was needed in the EU on biometric identifiers or biometric data, which would result in harmonised solutions for documents for third country nationals, EU citizens’ passports and information systems.

I misread the apostrophe as a comma so thought the directive applied to "third country nationals, EU citizens, passports and information systems". Looking further into the two directives it is clear that they only apply to nationals of third countries and so would be relevant for UK citizens once the UK has left the EU, as Carol states. Neither the directives nor the article say anything about under what conditions the document would be issued only what form it takes and the process for getting one. The conditions to obtain residence remain a discussion item for Brexit.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 am

The UK application form for this card is 85 pages long, only four of which are explanation, plus an 18 page guidance note. That'll be fun to complete in Greek?

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 am

Kilkis wrote:The UK application form for this card is 85 pages long, only four of which are explanation, plus an 18 page guidance note. That'll be fun to complete in Greek?

Warwick

You cannot be serious. Whatever happened to the Plain English campaign?

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:42 am

Kilkis wrote:The UK application form for this card is 85 pages long, only four of which are explanation, plus an 18 page guidance note. That'll be fun to complete in Greek?

The Greek application will be easy. Two pages long with no explanatory notes plus a copy of Passport details page but applications must be made in person at a regional office where one person will be receiving applications. They will tell you that two more supporting documents are required so come back when you have them. This process will be continued separately for each of the remaining 17 pieces of documentation. Once the application is approved by the regional office it will be sent to Athens where the only assigned clerical officer will be on extended sick leave but is expected to return to work within three months (i.e. άυριο).
The objective is to cause people to give up and withdraw their application (compulsory but takes about a year) unless they have shuffled off this mortal coil while waiting.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:05 am

filippos wrote:... where the only assigned clerical officer will be on extended sick leave but is expected to return to work within three months (i.e. άυριο)...

I would characterise three months as "Αμέσως". Surely "Άυριο" is more like six months to a year. As a friend once told me, "In Mexico they say Mañana. The Greeks have a similar word but it doesn't convey the same sense of urgency."

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Many years ago I was told by a Greek friend that "Άυριο" simply means "not now" and if whatever was supposed to happen Άυριο hadn't occurred within a couple of months it never would. On the other hand the "άυριο" event could take place as soon as the current frappé was finished.

Return to “General Discussion & News”