Electric Shocker

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
TweetTweet

Re: Electric Shocker

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:24 pm

El Nino/La Nina is a cycle. It goes up - it goes down. It is like all the other cycles. They are all superimposed on a trend. The trend just steadily increases. So the next El Nino peak will be bigger than the last one and the one after that bigger still. You can see such peaks in the past. The really big ones are when an El Nino peak and a solar sunspot peak pretty much coincide. Each time it is bigger than the one before. It is true that the variations in these cycles is bigger than the trend so, in that sense, the trend is within normal variations. However, the trend itself is not a normal variation. It is an abnormal variation.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Methinks climatologists are like economists - 'where two or three are gathered together' there is a difference of opinion! Like Warwick, I am happy to pay a relatively small sum to support a change over from fossil fuels to renewables in order to cook my meals, heat my house and watch TV!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Peter W

Postby Peter W » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:36 pm

SatCure wrote:The world temperature has been on an extremely slow upward trend since the last ice age. It has nothing to do with human activities and actual measurements indicate that we'll be extremely lucky to see 2°C warming by the end of this century.

And Elvis is alive and well and living in a bungalow in Preston

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:27 am

Now you've destroyed all my belief's, Peter. I thought he was working in a fish and chip shop in Leeds.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:02 am

Kilkis wrote:Now you've destroyed all my belief's, Peter. I thought he was working in a fish and chip shop in Leeds.

I don't think the song mentions Leeds. You're making that up, and I've now lost faith in your climate theories. Also there should be no apostrophe in beliefs.....

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:27 am

Those bloody greengrocer's get everywhere.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:57 am

:shock:
"It's all in the implementation"

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:01 pm

a fish and chip shop in Leeds

Oh, that's cruel. Nistissima for dinner, and all I can think about now is Harry Ramsden's....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Clio wrote:...and all I can think about now is Harry Ramsden's....

I've only been there once. I and a group of friends spent New Year at a hotel on the outskirts of Leeds. On New Year's day they put on a late brunch since we had been up late the night before. All the usual full English breakfast fare plus steak and a few other extras. After finishing that around 11 am we were taken on a tour which included lunch at the original Harry Ramsden's. Eating large haddock and chips plus a couple of pints of beer and Christmas pudding and custard was a bit of a stretch but two of us managed it. Bakalaria with skordalia, while very nice, isn't really the same.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:42 pm

Just got the new-style electricity bill. No sign on it of the discount. Previous bill was paid on-line on 9th Feb; the due date on the bill was 3 March, so well in time. (That one had a discount of 15% very plainly marked in a box below the guff on the left-hand side. Current bill shows that the previous bill has been paid, but can't find any reference anywhere to a discount and there is a big empty space below the left-hand side guff referred to above. Has the discount stopped now? Bob.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:59 pm

The discount only shows on every other bill. You get an ΕΚΚΑΘΑΡΙΣΤΙΚΟΣ bill that includes a calculation of the cost of the electricity consumed in a 4 month period, including the standing charge. That bill does not show a discount at all but the discount is calculated on the basis of that price. Thus if the consumption charge was €100 the discount would be calculated as €15. That €15 discount then appears on the next ΕΝΑΝΤΙ bill that doesn't have a calculation of the electricity consumed, assuming you pay the ΕΚΚΑΘΑΡΙΣΤΙΚΟΣ bill on time. Although you only get a discount every other bill it is based on a 4 month electricity charge so you do get a full discount. Hope that makes sense?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:26 pm

Perfick! Thanks Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:56 pm

What always amazes me is that the Vikings farmed in southern Greenland and sailed happily around northern Iceland in their skimpy firs without freezing to death in their open wooden boats. Just can't believe that could happen today! Not to mention all the other stuff I learnt at Uni.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:45 pm

¿Qué?

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”