Mattress disposal Crete .

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Cundalini

Mattress disposal Crete .

Postby Cundalini » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:36 pm

A friend I am working for has asked me to find anywhere to get rid of old mattresses ! None of the shops will take them when buying new she says. .Everyone wants money to take them! .Can they be left beside or thrown into the rubbish bins or do they have to be disposed of probably ?
Cundalini wants his hand back!

Mixos

Re: Mattress disposal Crete .

Postby Mixos » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Unfortunately this is why you see so many old mattresses and other detritus dumped over the side of the roads. However, the bin lorries WILL collect them if they are left next to the green bins -- maybe not immediately -- but they should go eventually. If possible, fold the mattress and bind it with string or gaffer tape to make it as compact as possible.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:06 pm

While I agree with Mixos' post, the last time I needed to dispose of one that was in pretty bad condition, I cut all the cover and padding off the springs, bagged it and put it in the general waste bin. I then cut the springs into small enough sections and put them in the blue recycling bin. Took quite a bit of work. I put the base, which was in reasonable condition, next to the general waste bin and it disappeared. No idea if the refuse collectors took it or somebody decided they could make use of it. In the UK I think charities will only take second hand beds if they still have their fire certificate attached. I think they also have an age limit. Not sure if any of the charities in Greece would take one or under what conditions.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:19 pm

In the Apokoronas area, the current mayor suggested in his pre-election manifesto that putting rubbish skips at various points would enable people to dump non-household rubbish. That never happened, but there are some places that have 'grown to become dumping areas' for certain things, including garden rubbish and mattresses. A visit to the recycling plant ΔΕΔΙΣΑ on the Akrotiri shows quite a few of these mattresses lying around. Quite what they do with them I don't know, but it would appear that if you leave such a thing on one of the 'not exactly designated, but locally recognised' dumping areas, it will eventually disappear.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:19 pm

No she said she tried the charities and they would not take them ! She has 14 !
Cundalini wants his hand back!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:41 pm

Cundalini wrote:No she said she tried the charities and they would not take them ! She has 14 !

Kilkis is referring to what happens in the UK, not Greece.

By the way, anyone buying a new mattress from the recently opened store in Kalyves might like to know that they do take the old one away and I think that is for free.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 pm

I asked at the local Διμοσ they said take it to the local landfill site .... the guys at the site were a bit surprised to see me but they took it ....

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 pm

That's interesting, Jeff. Where is the local landfill site to the eastern Lassithi area, please?

Tim

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:54 am

bobscott wrote:...... anyone buying a new mattress from the recently opened store in Kalyves might like to know that they do take the old one away and I think that is for free.
Correct, Bob, that's a branch of the Xania company I referenced. We bought our new mattress from the Xania shop and it was delivered next day via the Kalyves shop and old one was taken away (free).

For anyone for whom the Kalyves shop is convenient it's a few metres past the petrol station on Armenoi road on the opposite side. They also stock a selection of bed-related things, pillows, bed linen etc., and, I think, cushions.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:30 am

Tim wrote:That's interesting, Jeff. Where is the local landfill site to the eastern Lassithi area, please?

Tim

The land fill site is near Sitia out past Agia Fotia ...It's up in the hills and you think you are going nowhere, there is a sign on the coast road ,but unhelpfully I can't remember what it says ...but its a dimos style sign with" SITIA "and an abbreviated initial ...jeff

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:27 am

Tim, I think the place Jeff is referring to is off to the right on the straight new bit of road about 1k before you get to the Dionysos Village development (heading towards Palaokastro and Vai). I've not been up there but you can sometimes see palls of smoke and dust coming from the site as you head back towards Sitia from the Toplou Monastery road.

M.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:49 am

Cundalini wrote:No she said she tried the charities and they would not take them ! She has 14 !

Ring the local dimos (council). They should be able to arrange collection of that lot but it may take a while!

A friend who works for Chania dimos says that generally, a mattress (1 not 14!) left out by the bins will be collected, not by the bin men on their rounds, but at a later date by another lorry. The bin men actually inform them.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Carolina wrote:

Ring the local dimos (council). They should be able to arrange collection of that lot but it may take a while!

A friend who works for Chania dimos says that generally, a mattress (1 not 14!) left out by the bins will be collected, not by the bin men on their rounds, but at a later date by another lorry. The bin men actually inform them.

That chimes in with what we know here in Apokoronas Carolina. Bulky items left by the bins are generally collected by a Dimos lorry working with a JCB. What they do with what they collect, however, is a different matter.................! Bob.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi Jeff and Mike

Many thanks for replies - I'm pretty sure I know where you mean. Good info to have.

Tim

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:01 am

The correct procedure in Apokoronas is to leave large items by the bin and follow up by phoning 2825340522 to inform them. Collection will usually be carried out within about 3 weeks. Of course the usual caveats apply: you have to explain the location in Greek!

Martin

Return to “General Discussion & News”