Mattress disposal Crete .

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Re: Mattress disposal Crete .

Postby filippos » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:55 pm

According to information garnered two days ago from the recycling facility on Akrotiri items that don't belong in any of the bins should be left by the bins. Some may be collected by the regular refuse collection trucks but larger items such as mattresses, and organic matter like tree prunings, will be reported to the recycling plant by phone by the driver of the refuse truck. The items will then be collected by a smaller (non-refuse type) lorry "within a few days" (allowing some flexibility on timing was advised by the facility tour guide).

moggy

Postby moggy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:13 am

Kilkis wrote:While I agree with Mixos' post, the last time I needed to dispose of one that was in pretty bad condition, I cut all the cover and padding off the springs, bagged it and put it in the general waste bin. I then cut the springs into small enough sections and put them in the blue recycling bin. Took quite a bit of work. I put the base, which was in reasonable condition, next to the general waste bin and it disappeared. No idea if the refuse collectors took it or somebody decided they could make use of it.

Warwick

Warwick, a lot of work for you, good on you as you ensured the springs could get recycled, if more people thought more about recycling we would have much less landfill or rubbish burning. I suspect someone put the base too good use.

Apart from Gypies I have known others that watch stuff thrown out, for parts they put to good use.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:49 pm

SatCure wrote:The correct procedure in Apokoronas is to leave large items by the bin and follow up by phoning 2825340522 to inform them. Collection will usually be carried out within about 3 weeks. Of course the usual caveats apply: you have to explain the location in Greek!

Martin

I personally have found phoning a waste of time. Either no reply, or a vague response which really seems to boil down to 'we'll collect it some time'. You are right though Martin, that is the 'correct' procedure. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:38 pm

During a visit to the recycling plant on Thursday, Bob, Panagiotis who conducted the tour said that the drivers of the bin lorries phone in reports giving precise location details of things like mattresses that are left by/near to the regular rubbish bins. Such items should then be collected within a few days but he somewhat ruefully indicated that could be as many as 21 despite the supposed 2-5 days.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:26 am

filippos wrote:During a visit to the recycling plant on Thursday, Bob, Panagiotis who conducted the tour said that the drivers of the bin lorries phone in reports giving precise location details of things like mattresses that are left by/near to the regular rubbish bins. Such items should then be collected within a few days but he somewhat ruefully indicated that could be as many as 21 despite the supposed 2-5 days.

Thanks for that Phil. Yes, about 21 to 28 days is the frequency we see the Dimos lorry and accompanying JCB clearing up the bulky stuff. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:03 am

I once reported that one of the rubbish bins had been knocked down in to a ditch 3 mtrs deep, I rang the Demos who needed a machine to lift it out which they did in I think 2-3 days of informing them. I was impressed

Return to “General Discussion & News”