Loos in the News

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Clio

Loos in the News

Postby Clio » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:34 pm

http://www.ekathimerini.com/217209/arti ... s-on-crete

I don't intend to test my theory, but I suspect the one at Rethymno's public gardens is worse.

ScotinCrete

Re: Loos in the News

Postby ScotinCrete » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Agree about the state of the toilets and I would suggest not only restricted to Kalyves and Almyrida.
Tourists don't have votes though so ....
Does the municipality have a dedicated tourist rep or office?

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Last year I was in London for a bit of work and visit my daughter ... the loos in central london were dreadful ...

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:51 pm

The state of toilet facilities in Kalyves and particularly in Almyrida is a perennial problem. But nothing ever gets done. Under 'new management' the responsible part of the Apokoronas Dimos has made a decision. If you are quick, you can come to Almyrida and judge the quality for yourself, before the loos are LOCKED!

Sounds daft, but of course the question revolves around manpower and the reality according to the Dimos is that there are insufficient funds to employ a cleaner who can sort out the loos daily (twice a day in high season?). Better to clean them and then lock them is the decision. But what about the Blue Flag status which inter alia requires toilet facilities? No prizes for guessing what will happen. Come July the 2017 flag will be flying.

Given that rumours (and I stress that) say there is planning permission for a 400 bed hotel to be built in Almyrida, sorting out the beach toilets is a priority. But we say that every year and what happens? Nothing, of course. Money talks. Hotels will be built. Local tavernas won't feel much benefit - apart from anything else, tourists will eat in their hotels where there are first-class toilet facilities!

Full marks to Brian for getting his letter published. Let's hope there is some action to follow.

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:14 pm

bobscott wrote:Given that rumours (and I stress that) say there is planning permission for a 400 bed hotel to be built in Almyrida, sorting out the beach toilets is a priority.

Oh crap!

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:11 pm

Mouche, in English “crap” is a vulgar term for something that goes into the toilet (if open). It’s also a commonly-used synonym for rubbish, either verbal or physical. What it’s not, is something to be flung at a fellow poster, especially without a qualification to make it clear what you’re rubbishing. The rumours? Or the need to sort out the toilets?

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:35 pm

I actually did not write "crap" but "crap" and felt this was quite relevant with respect to the condition of the loos in both Kalyves and Almyrida. It was not in any way, shape or form meant as a comment about any individual here, but a "statement" with respect to the condition of the loos and the total lack of any action from the local authoriteis and their total disrespect for the tourists from whom they make a living!
I don't feel that either "crap" nor "crap" is too strong a word here, unfortunately!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:00 pm

I'm lost....

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Και εγώ.....

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:45 pm

It appears that, contrary to previous evidence, Mouche does have a sense of humour......

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:52 pm

I would suggest all you lost soles try to write the word shot but instead of using the o insert the i and then see what happens with a preview or an actual posting. Somehow there is a little somebody in there that changes the word shot with an i to the word crap. Why ? God only knows, and probably not even he!

BST

Postby BST » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:59 pm

I'm not sure if the Almyrida loos aren't a safety hazard from another perspective. A fairly sizeable mudflow cascaded on to the roof of the loos during a storm not so long ago and the cliff above looks unstable. Maybe the loos are getting locked for that reason!?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:16 am

Try "σκατά". The Gremlins that seek out impolite words and change them haven't cottoned on to that one yet. I speak as someone who was born in Scunthorpe. You would be amazed at how many sites filter that one out.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:22 am

BST wrote:I'm not sure if the Almyrida loos aren't a safety hazard from another perspective. A fairly sizeable mudflow cascaded on to the roof of the loos during a storm not so long ago and the cliff above looks unstable. Maybe the loos are getting locked for that reason!?

Well now you come to mention it ................ I think the closure is to do with the state of cleanliness, but you are right about the other danger. About 5 years ago I took a Dimos official to look at the perilously dangerous overhanging rocks near the harbour in Almyrida and pointed out that all it would take is for one tourist to be injured, or worst, killed, before the Dimos would find itself in deep trouble for not taking care of its own property (i.e. by failing to deliberately cause a rockfall which would enable the removal of the dangerous boulders in question). Needless to say, nothing happened. The mayor of Apokoronas is always keen to tell the foreigners that the assistance of the foreigners is always welcome in order to show the locals how to handle various things (litter, recycling, road repairs etc) but the word hasn't filtered down to the workforce. The impression I have gained from my contacts with the council over the last 6 years or so is that with one notable exception, what we say goes in one ear and out of the other. Just about everything the Apokoronas Environment Group has brought before the council has been greeted with polite silence. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:45 pm

To be fair, how do you think the average local council in the UK would react to that sort of advice from a group of French, Polish, or German "immigrants"?

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Return to “General Discussion & News”