what to bring from Uk

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
gmclean33

what to bring from Uk

Postby gmclean33 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:29 pm

Hi
we are just completing building a villa near Stavromeno and moving in next week. Could someone please explain about TV?
We have brought a smart TV, but what will we get on the TV?
do we need an ariel?
do we need any cables?
thanks for advice
gillian

Danny

Re: what to bring from Uk

Postby Danny » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Are you taking the p--- Gillian ? If not suggest you'll need a cable at least or maybe your smart TV is really smart

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:17 pm

What you will get on your TV depends what you connect to it.

1 Connect a TV aerial and you will (probably?) receive Greek TV. In some areas the coverage is not brilliant. No idea what it is like in Stavromenos. Obviously not much in English. Star has films most nights starting around 9 pm. Other channels have odd English language programmes.
    2 Connect a smallish satellite dish and take out a contract with Nova and you will get the same Greek channels plus a few more including some English language channels like Discovery I think. An expensive option.
    3 Connect a bigger satellite dish, i.e. around 1.8m, plus a Sky + Box and take out a contract with Sky using a UK address, e.g. friend/relative, and you will get about half the channels that you are contracted for. Also an expensive option.
    4 If you have a decent speed, uncapped, broadband connection then there are a variety of streaming boxes that you can connect ranging from free to paid for subscriptions. The apps included on the smart TV may or may not work depending if the service you connect to with them checks your IP address to see if you are in the UK. For example the BBC iPlayer app will probably not work. You may or may not be able to get around this problem with a VPN.

Personally I used Sky for many years using my son's address for the contract. I recently ditched that and I now use a paid for broadband streaming service from ExPatVision. It really boils down to what you want to watch and what you are prepared to pay. You might find this thread useful.

Warwick

Sarah*

Postby Sarah* » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:01 am

We only use internet-based services here in our village - as Warwick says, it depends on what you want to watch. Local Greek tv doesn't fill me with thrills... You can use various services to mask your location so that you can get BBC etc.

annabanana

Postby annabanana » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:05 pm

Forget a TV if you don't have a good cup of tea,so definitely bring a tea bags :D

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:02 pm

Excellent orange pekoe tea is available here in crete, no need to bring teabags ....

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:29 pm

gmclean33 wrote:do we need an ariel?
do we need any cables?

Ariel might be useful for washing clothes but for Greek terrestrial TV you'll need an aerial. :wink:
Dependent on your TV, you might require a Greek "decoder" box as well. (Apo-kotheeko-pee-ee-tees.)

If anyone needs coaxial cable, I have some really high quality (very low loss) WF100 cable from the UK, which guarantees the best possible signal (and the plugs to fit).

I don't have much to add to previous suggestions except that our broadband speed is quite slow (3MB/s), which is borderline for streaming TV. Consequently, for the little TV that we watch, we use Get iPlayer Automator to download BBC and ITV "player" programmes. I also use an MP4 downloader "plugin" with "Firefox" web browser for getting YouTube programmes. I also use BitTorrent software and a VPN. A lot of people use "Kodi" software for streaming TV.

Obviously the programme providers don't like anyone to use these methods, since they think it represents a loss of revenue. Consequently, they do try to block it from time to time. I believe that the "black boxes" using "Kodi" have just suffered some sort of blocking, this month.

I do have a 1.2m satellite dish that can receive Arabic programmes from the BADR satellite at 26°E. There are some good movies (with Arabic subtitle squiggles) but, unfortunately, the movies are censored for anything approaching sexual content - even a kiss. So they often lose the plot in the process.

It's worth mentioning that the Greek TV licence fee is included with your electricity bill.

I think that, between us, we've covered most possibilities. So, Gillian, you might like to acknowledge our replies. I notice the last time you looked was March 31st.

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Gillian might well be moving at the moment. She did say that in her post, Martin.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:44 pm

That's very mild! Has 'Im got you in restraints.

KateD

Postby KateD » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:50 pm

We stream the internet a lot for uk channels using Hola. We have given up on our satellite which was fitted on the house when we moved in as it's useless!

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:26 am

filippos wrote:That's very mild! Has 'Im got you in restraints.

In a manner of speaking. I am currently running on reduced blood strength. It affects my combat ability!

Return to “General Discussion & News”