Bicycle Hire in Kalyves area

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
P&B

Bicycle Hire in Kalyves area

Postby P&B » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Can anyone recommend somewhere to hire bicycles in the Kalyves area that would be open in the month of May?

I'm not looking for anything hi-tech for mountain climbing, just something that will enable me to cycle between Kalyves, Neo Chorio, Stilos and surrounding villages.

Iain

footscapes

Re: Bicycle Hire in Kalyves area

Postby footscapes » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:29 pm

If you don't find anything nearer to Kalyves, I can recommend http://olympicbike.com

Markos, the owner, is a good guy, bikes are in great order and their service is reliable. We've used them a couple of times.

For rentals outside of Rethymno, they charge EUR 25 delivery per bike. Expensive for just a couple of days, but more tolerable if you are renting for maybe a fortnight and you can't find an alternative. Olympic are open now and throughout May.

Paul

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:10 pm

I don't know how some of the bike rental places justify their prices. I've just hired a car for 5 days for less than they are charging for a bike, which costs a fraction of the price. If you don't want anything too fancy and are staying for two weeks I think you could buy a bike and simply give it away at the end of the holiday and it would cost you less than hiring.

Flisvos were renting bikes in 2016 so I would guess they will be in 2017 and they are in the Kalyves area. Worth asking.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:17 pm

Confirm that Flisvos do hire bikes but you might get a better deal from the bike shop in Kalyves. As you head out of the village on the Armenoi road, from the laundry at the junction with the Vamos/Almyrida road it's the first shop on the left - about 200/250m. Difficult to miss as it has bikes and m/scooters on the forecourt during opening hours.
They were certainly renting bikes in summer 2016.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:30 pm

I really like the bike shop in Kalyves. Nico, who runs it, is always really helpful. We checked prices against those in Chania when we bought bikes this year and there's no difference, though the large shop within Chania to the west of the centre does sell second hand bikes.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon May 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Niko is certainly helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, he failed to locate the serious misfire fault in my motorbike (lots of water in the fuel) and, for the annual service, he failed to change the air and fuel filters. I know this for a fact because, for one thing, the air filter still had a cobweb and its owner inside! Consequently, I can't trust him.

For bike hire he should be fine - but check the bike has working brakes and correct tyre pressures.

Return to “General Discussion & News”