Termites?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Sarah*

Termites?

Postby Sarah* » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:15 am

Yesterday about a billion tiny flying insects emerged from a couple of nooks and crannies in the walls of our house and flew rather awkwardly off. As insect design goes, these guys were a bit of a cheap import. I looked them up though, and discovered that they are termites.

Most were emerging from chinks in the stone walls, but some from a stony crevice right inside a doorframe adjacent to the wood and now this morning some are emerging from a window frame. There is relatively little timber in our house, but the cost of our lovely new windows nearly wiped us out, and I don't want them to get hurt!

Has anybody encountered this?

I have come across a recommendation to get in touch with Giorgos at Fertility in Kalyves, and will be visiting him later this week.

I'm glad we were here for this great exodus - we're not normally here at this time of year, and we would have been none the wiser otherwise...

Kilkis

Re: Termites?

Postby Kilkis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:33 pm

Are you sure they were termites and not flying ants?

Warwick

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:07 pm

I don't think you have termites (in Crete they don't have wings and are very very tiny) - as Warwick said, they are likely flying ants. It's that time of year, they come out to see what's going on in their locale.

Although preferentially I don't kill anything, termites are a potential problem. I have one crazy window (hard wood) that suddenly erupts in a termite explosison. I hoover up as many as possible and then put lidl vinegar around the frame. It's been very effective so far. lidl white vinegar is very good for cleaning (but nothing else!).

Sarah*

Postby Sarah* » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:19 pm

We vigorously hoped they were flying ants, but they are definitely termites. They've now started coming out of one of the ceiling beams.

https://www.google.gr/search?q=Reticuli ... ugus+crete

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Mon May 01, 2017 7:04 am

Having done some investigation, I think you are right and they are termites.

Do you have lots of small patches of sawdust?

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Mon May 01, 2017 7:17 am

http://www.usesfordiatomaceousearth.com/247-2/

If you use diatomaceous earth it MUST be Food Grade (not the stuff used for swimming pools).

Rather than routinely treating the felines in my life with toxic anti-flea spot-on medicine, I've used diatomaceous earth with very good effect.

One caveat would be to only use it on a windless day and also wear a proper face mask.

Return to “General Discussion & News”