Large stone flower troughs

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
KateD

Large stone flower troughs

Postby KateD » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi All,
Does anyone know where you can buy largish stone flower troughs from? It must be very heavy. We have a thief in our area who steals the plant pots I use to decorate our downstairs rental accommodation. Well basically he/she steals anything that isn't chained up so any pot I leave out, or in todays case a wall hanging metal French gasoline can that I had done up and painted metallic green and planted with beautiful red geraniums (which I may say was heavily wired to the wall screws) go walkabout! It happened in the 2 hours we were at church this morning :evil: It was ripped out of the wall screws and all!
I need something heavy they can't easily move!.........
Thanks in anticipation.
Kate feeling very p****d off!
Ps I was going to add a photo so if anyone saw it for sale could nab them, but I can't work out how to do it!

filippos

Re: Large stone flower troughs

Postby filippos » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:41 pm

You need to upload the picture to a picture hosting site like flickr or on one of the many similar sites. You'll need to set up an account (free in most cases) upload the photo then post a link to the picture here. If you can't be bothered with that hassle e-mail your photo to me crete4u@spamex.com and I'll put it on my web space and post the link here for you.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 pm

...or just connect the heavy wiring to the mains?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:14 pm

Not a bad idea but could have repercussions if the thief has a weak heart and ended up dead. Could try a vibration-activated bicycle alarm chained to a target item. Years ago in the UK I had one that made such a din it was audible at least a mile away. Frightened the $**t out of me the first time I tested it (in a small garage).

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 01, 2017 8:35 am

filippos wrote:Not a bad idea but could have repercussions if the thief has a weak heart and ended up dead...

That's what I call an effective deterrent. They never do it again.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon May 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Garden centres usually sell flower troughs in various styles.

Something like this might help:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-use-P ... 009AS10LG/

Obviously the "bell" needs to be within earshot of someone who can take a photo of the thief.

Alternatively, a "web cam", aimed out of a window and left running while you are out, might show you the culprit.

Both these ideas would require "sacrificial" troughs because they would still be stolen. It would be handy to mark them indelibly with proof of ownership in case the thief is caught.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 pm

A friend tells me (heavy flower troughs):

"We bought ours some years ago now, from the gravel/ stone yard type place at Kalives just near the junction with the National.
If you go under the National bridge from Kalives towards Armenoi and take first turning on right after the slip road off. It's on the left after a few minutes; a big yard with a warehouse type building with hardware/garden stuff in. They had a catalogue with all sorts of concrete garden things.

Also they had some at the similar type place just past Hydrotherm, Vamos. On the Right by the big dirt pile, but they weren't so cheap."

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon May 01, 2017 11:18 pm

KateD wrote:........We have a thief in our area who steals the plant pots ................in todays case a wall hanging metal French gasoline can that I had done up and painted metallic green and planted with beautiful red geraniums ............... It was ripped out of the wall screws and all!
...................Ps I was going to add a photo so if anyone saw it for sale could nab them, but I can't work out how to do it!

Here's the pic.

KateD

Postby KateD » Tue May 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks Phil,
I've bought a stone trough, screwed it to the floor and half filled it with lots of rocks! Let's see him lift that. If he does he'll certainly get a hernia, and I hope it's painful!
Thanks
Kate

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue May 02, 2017 2:04 pm

A CCTV camera would help you watch the hernia man trying to lift your trough............ :lol:
Dave H

KateD

Postby KateD » Thu May 04, 2017 6:55 am

Hi Dave, yes I could post it on YouTube, get loads of hits and start my own channel, make loads of money from his discomfort! Karma! Lol xxx

Return to “General Discussion & News”