Just wanted to say Hello

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Sinkingslowly

Just wanted to say Hello

Postby Sinkingslowly » Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 pm

I don’t know if this is the correct thing to do but as I have just become a member of the forum I thought that I would say hello to everyone in general.

HELLO !

There, that’s done.

I’ve been reading various forums for some time as I want to find out as much as possible from expats before making the decision about moving. There are some very informative websites about Crete but I believe it’s better to listen to real people.

I am rapidly approaching the age where people are put out to grass and I do NOT want to spend that time in good old UK. All the usual reasons, horrible winters, etc etc etc.

If you can put up with another grumpy old man, and very less grumpy lady, on your beautiful island then I’m sure that I will be asking lots of questions in the next few months.

Dave

moggieman

Re: Just wanted to say Hello

Postby moggieman » Mon May 08, 2017 11:26 pm

I dont know if its you that can put up with us as lots of grumpy old codgers on here.

That said usually you can find out most things on here, some good some not so good but all "try" to help.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue May 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Welcome to the forum! Before we moved here I found the members to be very generous with their time and wisdom and they continue to be so. Many answers to questions may well be available under the Search function but if we can help, please ask and we shall put our collective heads together :D
Someday is now : )

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue May 09, 2017 4:39 pm

Welcome. Also, don't forget that there's a mass of information to be found on the main site if you follow the link in the page header.

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Sinkingslowly wrote: All the usual reasons, horrible winters, etc etc etc.
Dave

Hi Dave
Actually you may find that you will be colder here in winter than in the UK.
It all depends on the type of house you have, those with lots of concrete walls and tiled floors, radiate a lot of cold air, even if the air temp on your central heating indicates that the temp is comfortable.
Having said that, the majority of the year (usually April to December) is much warmer than blighty :-)

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Only the limbo about reciprocal health agreements arising from the Brexit remains unresolved as health problems that we get in advancing years can cause very heavy expenses, we live in hopes that Mrs May can negotiate a favourable agreement to establish the present agreements to be retained. :?:
Dave H

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Tue May 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Yes, I also hope that the UK government can come up with a workable deal...May ...maybe ...

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Tue May 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for the speedy replies !
I have to admit that this Brexit nonsense is going to decide what we do and how we do it.
Without doubt we will need reciprocal healthcare arrangements :D .
At the moment it appears that that the EU want guaranteed rights for people resident at the time the UK leaves the Union. I hope that May will agree that at least.
If that happens then at least one of us will need to be in Crete before the end of next year.
If any different arrangements happen then it's probably too late for us :evil: .

peebee wrote:Actually you may find that you will be colder here in winter than in the UK.

Thanks for tip about the winter :D
Actually it's not really the cold that bothers me about the UK winter it's the fact that it goes on so LONG!
Sometimes it seems that it lasts 9 months and the other 3 are only part time summer if you're in the right part of the country on the right day.
We lived for over 10 years in Bavaria and there the temperature got down as low as minus 27°C but it wasn't continuous, wet, grey, windy. miserable. soul destroying, cabin fever aaaaaaargh!

Anyway, here's the first question from the love of my life who has just looked over my shoulder.
Does anyone know if there are any groups or organisations who work with textiles?
My wife is mad keen on spinning, weaving, dying, knitting etc and is already threatening to chase the wild goats/sheep if she can't get fleece any other way. :D

I think I will be starting several new posts :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue May 09, 2017 11:46 pm

Sinkingslowly wrote:...At the moment it appears that that the EU want guaranteed rights for people resident at the time the UK leaves the Union. I hope that May will agree that at least...

Logically there is no reason not to do a deal (apologies for double negative). People have moved between countries for centuries, long before the EU was thought of, and will continue to move after Brexit is finalised. The numbers might change and the satisfying conditions might change but people will still move. Moving presents some practical problems amongst them pension rights, healthcare and rights of residence. Since the EU has perfectly sensible and very practical mutual recognition procedures for these issues it would be crazy not to continue them. However, I can see two possible stumbling blocks:

1 The Decision is a political one and political decisions are rarely rational.
    2 The rights were originally granted under EU Directives and were enforced by the European Court of Justice. The EU wants the rights of EU citizens living in the UK still to fall within the jurisdiction of the ECJ while getting rid of ECJ jurisdiction is a prime motivation for Brexit. I think that dichotomy is a tough one to resolve.

Warwick

KateD

Postby KateD » Wed May 10, 2017 10:06 am

We moved here in October and were freezing despite the previous owners assuring us it was a lovely warm house and the heating worked well, liars! However getting a wood burning Somba was the answer and we spent the rest of the shortish winter (it was longer this year than most years apparently) lovely and toasty! Spring has been unbelievably beautiful. Make sure you pick an area that has lots of green. (We live in the Apokoronas region). The orchids were so gorgeous and varied! Then all of a sudden it has become summer and it's hot hot hot now! The snow is melting fast off the highest peaks. I can't recommend a move soon enough! It's great. I'm sure someone will be crafting, and weaving etc. There are certainly quite a few knitters! And before the rest of the forum pipes up, nutters too, but they are harmless :lol: Good luck with your plans, stuff Brexit, we may all die before they sort themselves out. Life is too short!
Kate.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 10, 2017 11:33 am

KateD wrote:...Then all of a sudden it has become summer and it's hot hot hot now!...

No. It's still mild. Wait till it gets over 40 C. Then its "hot hot hot".

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed May 10, 2017 6:52 pm

KateD wrote:............Then all of a sudden it has become summer and it's hot hot hot now!..........
Sorry, Kate, you obviously haven't fully acclimatised yet. I've known some worse winters but summer's not really started yet and it's just beginning to get up to a comfortable warmth. I haven't stored my winter clothes yet and 'Er Indoors started washing my summer stuff only yesterday.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed May 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Yes , you know when you have become acclimatised when you go into town in jeans, boots, and a jumper .. and see tourists in sandals shorts and T shirts .... Jeff...

KateD

Postby KateD » Wed May 10, 2017 9:21 pm

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed May 10, 2017 9:40 pm

KateD wrote:37 on Saturday.....
Hasn't happened yet, Kate; fingers crossed it will but I don't entirely trust the BBC predictions. By mid-August it might be warm enough to swim in the sea.

Return to “General Discussion & News”