Just wanted to say Hello

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Sinkingslowly

Re: Just wanted to say Hello

Postby Sinkingslowly » Wed May 10, 2017 10:07 pm

Just be sure to keep the warm weather going (whether you old hands think it's warm or not :D ) it's been 16 degrees today and and about 3 last night here in sunny Somerset :( .

We are flying in to Chania at the end of June and staying in Plakias for 2 weeks, we will have a car so we'll be able to get around, and I want the weather to be hot!

JWugg

Postby JWugg » Wed May 10, 2017 11:20 pm

I didn't notice if you told us whereabouts on the island you are planning on living, but if you are East of Chania, the Apokoronos Craft Guild may be of interest.

There are quite a few textile crafts people around. However, the fleece in Crete is not really usable other than for rugs, unfortunately the sheep are bred for milk & meat, not fibre, which is mostly thrown away. There are some good wool shops in Chania, but nowhere that I have found for raw fibre or fleece.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 11, 2017 6:57 am

KateD wrote:37 on Saturday.....
http://www.bbc.com/weather/6299507

Weather Underground is predicting a gradual rise up to 34 C by Saturday and then falling steadily down to 19 C over the following week. I trust their predictions a lot more than the BBC.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu May 11, 2017 8:10 am

JWugg wrote:............ but if you are East of Chania, the Apokoronos Craft Guild may be of interest.
Depends where you finally settle: there's a lot of Crete East of Xania. It's also a fair run from the south coast (Plakias) to Apokoronas but there's some great scenery on the way.

In Plakias the main beach front tavernas and cafés tend to be touristic but we found a very traditional place you might like to try. It's called Gioma / Γιόμα: walk NNW along the seafront, past the car parks either side of the river, follow the road bearing left round the bend and you'll reach it just a few metres along. Don't be misled by the outside front appearance: there are two terraces at the back right by the beach. Friendly, family run. I don't recommend anywhere 'cos, if I do, experience tells me disasters result: all I'll say is we've been there two or three times and found the food and ambiance to be excellent each time.

Google Earth: 35°11'25.88"N 24°23'35.30"E.
Last edited by filippos on Thu May 11, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu May 11, 2017 9:18 am

filippos wrote:
JWugg wrote:............ but if you are East of Chania, the Apokoronos Craft Guild may be of interest.
Depends where you finally settle: there's a lot of Crete East of Xania. It's also a fair run from the south coast (Plakias) to Apokoronas but there's some great scenery on the way.

In Plakias the main beach front tavernas and cafés tend to be touristic but we found a very traditional place you might like to try. It's called Gioma / Γιόμα: walk NNW along the seafront, past the car parks either side of the river, follow the road bearing left round the bend and you'll reach it just a few metres along. Don't be misled by the outside front appearance: there are two terraces at the back right by the beach. Friendly, family run. I don't recommend anywhere 'cos if I do experience disasters so all I'll say is we've been there two or three time and found the food and ambiance to be excellent each time.

Google Earth: 35°11'25.88"N 24°23'35.30"E.

.......... and about 10m further on on the right is another branch of the same family who run the GIOMA (ΓΙΟΜΑ) apartments which have just had a refit and are very good indeed. All 8 rooms overlook the sea. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Mackie

Postby Mackie » Thu May 11, 2017 10:57 am

Everyone on this forum seem to be very helpful, knowledgeable and we gained some invaluable information by asking for info that we could not find / locate anywhere. Even the guy who doesn't like Expats much :)
We are looking forward to meeting many of them over the next few months / years as we settle in and tour the island

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Thu May 11, 2017 10:50 pm

filippos wrote:Depends where you finally settle: there's a lot of Crete East of Xania.

Thats one of the main things that I want clear up this summer.
I have to admit that my last visit to Crete was many many years ago so I expect that many things have changed and I'm approaching this with an open mind.

Thanks to our wonderful capitalist system my pension plans have mostly gone up in smoke and Brexit may make things even worse so I expect that the main driver will be property price.
From what I have seen the eastern end of the island appears to be cheaper so it may be that end.

If I am wrong please let me know :D

Return to “General Discussion & News”