Moving an electric meter

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
KateD

Moving an electric meter

Postby KateD » Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 am

Hi Guys,
Any ideas how much it costs to move an electric meter? We are planning to build a boundary wall with a locked gate so the meter reader won't be able to get in. I need to resite it so it can be seen........
If anyone has done it was it the usual Greek nightmare? :D

Kilkis

Re: Moving an electric meter

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 10, 2017 11:29 am

Step 1: Employ an electrician to run suitable wiring from the distribution board, or more typically from the hidden box that contains the rats nest of connections, to the location where the meter will be located but not to connect it to the house wiring.
Step 2: Get ΔΕΗ to move the meter from the old location to the new location and connect it to the incoming supply and the end of the new cable.
Step 3 Get the electrician to connect the new cable to the house wiring in the distribution board/rats nest.

Steps 1 and 3 should be straightforward. Step 2...? It took me many months and several visits to ΔΕΗ before I got Step 2 done. Also I had to have a new pole installed since the supply cable couldn't be routed from the original pole to the new location. In the end I resorted to asking a friend who knew someone senior in ΔΕΗ to ask them to expedite it otherwise I think I would still be waiting now ten years later.

No idea of cost. My original build specification was for the meter to be located in a box on the garden wall so the developer paid any fees. It was only located on the house wall as a temporary measure until everything was complete. I had also specified a dual meter for cheaper night tariff and that was installed at the time the meter was moved.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed May 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Our metre is on the side of the house and we have 3 dogs who have the freedom of the garden. Now depending on which bloke comes to read the metre they will either come straight in through the gate as they are not frightened by the dogs as have seen them before when I was at home, or they will put a sticker on the gate for me to call the reading in. If you can call the reading in that day (quick response on the phone) they will change the bill accordingly, if not they said not to worry as they will estimate again.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed May 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Yes , I think I would go with scooby's idea and save the trouble and expense of moving the metre... our meter get's read maybe twice a year on average ..jeff

KateD

Postby KateD » Wed May 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanks tons, think we will go with scooby's idea. Sounds like the best plan :D

Return to “General Discussion & News”