One toe in the swamp

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: One toe in the swamp

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Then you have been lucky. Many lawyers do not keep on top of the rapid changes in the tax code which have happened over the last few years while the good accountants do. That is not a criticism of those lawyers, since tracking tax code changes is not their primary job. Personally I would prefer to have an accountant making my tax return rather than a lawyer. Everybody makes their own choices.

Warwick

Jason64

Postby Jason64 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:31 pm

Kilkis wrote:
Guy M wrote:The best advice we ever had was to get a decent lawyer...

I completely agree but with one proviso. Many people get a lawyer first. They find they need a tax number so they let the lawyer arrange that for them. The lawyer then becomes the Greek representative on the tax registration and any future documentation will be sent to him/her. I know many people for whom this has caused significant problems. When it comes to tax the best person to deal with it is an accountant so I would recommend getting a good accountant first, let the accountant register you for a tax number and become your Greek representative and then get a good lawyer.

Warwick

If the lawyer is the representative can this not be then transfered to an accountant ?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Yes, it can be transferred. I'm lazy. Why do the job twice?

Warwick

Jason64

Postby Jason64 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Phew, that good then ☺

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun May 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Kilkis wrote:Then you have been lucky. Many lawyers do not keep on top of the rapid changes in the tax code which have happened over the last few years while the good accountants do. That is not a criticism of those lawyers, since tracking tax code changes is not their primary job. Personally I would prefer to have an accountant making my tax return rather than a lawyer. Everybody makes their own choices.

Warwick

My lawyer use an accountant to do the tax return. Cost 123 euro incl. VAT.

Jason64

Postby Jason64 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:07 pm

:D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun May 14, 2017 10:43 pm

"Magic our Morris!"

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”