Red toxic dust

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
scooby

Red toxic dust

Postby scooby » Sat May 13, 2017 3:01 pm

In case any newbies don't know or if regulars hadn't noticed, it's coming over today and tomorrow. Don't you just loathe it!

http://apokoronasnews.gr/dust-particle- ... -of-crete/
Men in suits will always make you pay.

filippos

Re: Red toxic dust

Postby filippos » Sat May 13, 2017 3:40 pm

How typical! A dust cloud and Gadaffi's wind defy EU directive for air quality.

The Government must do something to end this regular fiasco, maybe commission James Dyson to build a giant bagless vacuum cleaner that will hover over the Libyan sea and suck all the dust from the atmosphere.

This cloud drifts over around this time every year and, if it's timing is spot on, it delights those who have just finished giving their pools a pre-season clean.

I'm happy to live with it: Crete has so many compensations.
Last edited by filippos on Sat May 13, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Glad I haven't jet washed the balcony yet.

Strangely enough there is a BBC article today saying that air pollution in China's big cities is being made worse because of a lack of dust. Funny old world.

Warwick

PS Can't use a Dyson, Filippos. It doesn't meet the energy efficiency requirements in the EU Directive.

BST

Postby BST » Sat May 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Everything at ours is under a thick layer of yellow green pollen from the olive trees. I don't think there will be a shortage of olives this year. The only red I've seen is in the sky! The moon was surrounded by a red glow last night. I hope the rain is clean next week!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat May 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Kilkis wrote:PS Can't use a Dyson, Filippos. It doesn't meet the energy efficiency requirements in the EU Directive.
Nor do any of the others if they're tested properly, especially the bag using designs which are tested without the essential bag.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat May 13, 2017 9:14 pm

BST wrote:Everything at ours is under a thick layer of yellow green pollen from the olive trees. I don't think there will be a shortage of olives this year. The only red I've seen is in the sky! The moon was surrounded by a red glow last night. I hope the rain is clean next week!

Rain next week ! where ? ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 13, 2017 10:43 pm

On the Weather Underground forecast for Souda rain is predicted for Thursday with a possibility of some on Wednesday and Friday. Also the temperature is supposed to drop from a maximum of 35 C today to 19 C on Thursday. I actually used the aircon this evening and I've never done that in May before.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Sun May 14, 2017 6:07 am

Kilkis wrote:On the Weather Underground forecast for Souda rain is predicted for Thursday with a possibility of some on Wednesday and Friday.
Warwick

Meteo concurs http://www.meteo.gr/meteoplus/cf-En.cfm?city_id=21

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun May 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Kilkis wrote:On the Weather Underground forecast for Souda rain is predicted for Thursday with a possibility of some on Wednesday and Friday. Also the temperature is supposed to drop from a maximum of 35 C today to 19 C on Thursday. I actually used the aircon this evening and I've never done that in May before.

Warwick

Weatheronline.co.uk also agrees. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Charliesangel

Postby Charliesangel » Tue May 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Do I hear panic in your comments? Get a grip! Its only dust.... stay indoors, with your dvds, reading matter, ie Area 51 'does it really exist'? Book, or if you are that way inclined... Bridget Jones' Diary (and the baby) dvd -geared especially for men!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue May 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Charliesangel wrote:Do I hear panic in your comments? Get a grip! Its only dust.... stay indoors, with your dvds, reading matter, ie Area 51 'does it really exist'? Book, or if you are that way inclined... Bridget Jones' Diary (and the baby) dvd -geared especially for men!

Panic? Of course not. Just a resigned realisation that if the dust is still in the air after the rain and thunderstorms, then everything outdoors will be covered in muck that isn't easy to shift. Just glad we don't have a swimming pool! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

scooby

Postby scooby » Tue May 16, 2017 6:10 pm

Charliesangel wrote:Do I hear panic in your comments? Get a grip! Its only dust.... stay indoors, with your dvds, reading matter, ie Area 51 'does it really exist'? Book, or if you are that way inclined... Bridget Jones' Diary (and the baby) dvd -geared especially for men!
No panic here either, it's just a pest :(
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Charliesangel

Postby Charliesangel » Tue May 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Now you're getting all technical :D

BST

Postby BST » Wed May 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Clean rain! :D :D :D

Return to “General Discussion & News”