No Water

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Yin&Yang

No Water

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu May 18, 2017 6:36 am

About five days ago a part of the waterpipe was damaged or deteriorated outside of a house just outside of the centre of Megala Xorafia. We haven't had a water supply since and the word is that it could take up to 20 days for the necessary bypass to be made to reinstate the water supply. We are on agricultural water.

Is anyone else on the forum affected? Do you have any updates?

We still have water in our tank (we can survive for about nine days) and thank goodness for the rain, although are considering buying a larger water tank. Any idea of the cost of a 10,000 litre and a 15,000 litre tank?
Someday is now : )

filippos

Re: No Water

Postby filippos » Thu May 18, 2017 7:35 am

Your best bet to get a current price locally is to ask at a local builders' yard.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu May 18, 2017 8:34 am

Thanks Filippos, we are doing that. I just wondered if anyone had an idea before we set off. We're also going to get a 2,000 tank for the lower part of our land, to take the water from our pond when we have to drain it. Being without makes you sit up and rethink doesn't it :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 am

I would guess Sue's husband would have a pretty good idea of the cost.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu May 18, 2017 10:11 am

Agreed; it's just up his street.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu May 18, 2017 1:42 pm

On the same subject, in case you (Vamos area) didn't receive Helen's email on May 15th:

APOKORONAS Water
OADYK has announced that the agricultural water will be off from tomorrow - Tuesday until Thursday evening.
Unfortunately the knock on effect of this tends to be that those who use agricultural water turn to council water for watering fields, filling pools etc which means that the council water available is not sufficient to cope with the extra demand. This is likely to affect all of you who live in the areas covered by the former municipality of Vamos.

For issues with agricultural water the telephone number to contact them is 2825031898. This is not under council control so please contact them direct.

Best wishes
Helen

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu May 18, 2017 3:03 pm

I hadn't seen this, thank you.

john4d

Postby john4d » Sun May 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Talking about water storage tanks, my cousin who lives in Western Australia isn't on what they call 'scheme water' and like many other people collects the water off the large steel roof which covers their single storey house and veranda. This goes into a very large tank. This lasts a family of 4 for the whole year, including daily showers. They have installed a separate smaller tank collecting water from the barn for watering the garden. We have plenty of water in western Australia she says, it's just a question of collecting and storing it. I asked her what would happen if she did use all of the water she had stored. That's OK she said I would just get a tanker load of scheme water, but it tastes awful. We are so used to it being delivered to our houses by pipe we forget their are other ways.
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon May 22, 2017 7:27 am

John4d, similar to yourself, I have a sister in Western Australia, Bridgetown in fact, and she collects and stores water in the exact same way as your cousin. She has never run out of water in the 10+ years she has lived in that area and many of those years were with her husband and three teenage children. Food for thought for Crete isn't it?

Return to “General Discussion & News”