Tourist Tax

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
moggieman

Tourist Tax

Postby moggieman » Wed May 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Not happy with destroying the economy it seems the government is now bent on destroying the tourist industry.
From 1/1/2018 they are bringing in a tourist tax based on each room. No idea how this is to be collected or applied, but will be an interesting time.

Kilkis

Re: Tourist Tax

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 24, 2017 11:17 pm

An Omnibus Bill was passed in the Greek Parliament on 22 May 2016 to satisfy the creditors. In the bill a new tax was introduced on "hotels, rooms to let and touristic residences" of between €0.25 and €4.00 per day depending on the type of accommodation. The new tax comes into force on1/1/2018. Is that the tax you are talking about, Moggieman? If so it is hardly Earth shattering, although I agree any increase in costs to tourists is not exactly helpful to the Greek economy. I would think that the increases in VAT rates and the removal of VAT reductions for some islands would be far more serious. See for example page 6 of this Taxand newsletter from 2016.

Warwick

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu May 25, 2017 5:33 am

Not new, hotel /room tax was implemented last year in a number of European countries.
Greece is just catching up with the others.

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu May 25, 2017 7:52 am

moggieman wrote:Not happy with destroying the economy it seems the government is now bent on destroying the tourist industry.
From 1/1/2018 they are bringing in a tourist tax based on each room. No idea how this is to be collected or applied, but will be an interesting time.

This is quite common, at least in most countries I've ever travelled to which when adding them up is quite a few.

Return to “General Discussion & News”