Medical costs

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Sinkingslowly

Medical costs

Postby Sinkingslowly » Sun May 28, 2017 12:31 pm

I've been reading a lot of posts about IKA, KEP and S1 forms and I am pretty well confused which appears to be the norm when dealing with any government department :D .
However, if our Lords and Masters completely chock up Brexit and the UK leaves without any agreements I'm guessing that private insurance will be needed.
Bearing in mind that I'm an old codger with a heart condition does anyone have any idea of the cost of such insurance?
I apologise if this had been discussed before but I did a search and got nothing.

Dave

Guy M

Re: Medical costs

Postby Guy M » Sun May 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Four years ago we took private health insurance as we were living full time in Crete (a family of four with young children, so a different situation for medical costs). We arranged it through the same person who did our car insurance - might be a place to start if you want a fairly accurate estimate of costs.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun May 28, 2017 9:53 pm

Yes ,I have some health insurance, I had to get it to renew my residence permit , it cost around 1,200 euros a year full cover in a state hospital and excess of 2,000 euros in a private hospital ... Ive never used it so in some ways it was money down the drain ..but that is the insurance business ....

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon May 29, 2017 6:42 am

We had private health insurance for several years and the costs quoted above reflect what we were each paying. My partner is now 75 and that seems to be the cut off point with insurance companies and he can no longer find insurance. That said, he had two routine operations last year; one costing €1800 and the other €4000. The first was slightly over his excess and so we didn't claim and the second claim resulted in a repayment of just under €400 to date (still in throes of claim after one year) so not great experiences.
Someday is now : )

mouche

Postby mouche » Mon May 29, 2017 8:46 am

Jeffstclair wrote: ... Ive never used it so in some ways it was money down the drain ..but that is the insurance business ....

The less I have to use my various types of insurances, the better. That's me!

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Mon May 29, 2017 10:59 am

Yin&Yang wrote:We had private health insurance for several years and the costs quoted above reflect what we were each paying. My partner is now 75 and that seems to be the cut off point with insurance companies and he can no longer find insurance.

This is confusing me a little. From what I've been reading I thought that reaching retirement age and getting this S1 form entitled you to free medical treatment (via a complicated route).
Have I got the wrong end of the stick ?

Al

Postby Al » Mon May 29, 2017 12:06 pm

It's not particularly complicated. If you have an S1 form you need to take it, together with your passport and residence permit to your nearest IKA office, which will be busy as usual. They may tell you you'll need more documentation, which you'll need to bring from home and attend another day. They will register you and issue a "Health Book" with an IKA number and an AMKA number. At this point you can access IKA services. I dont know where you are, but in our area (Apokoronas) we have a Health Centre in Vamos, and a Doctor in some of the villages on a rotating basis. We use the very good Dr in Kalives. The public hospital in Mournies is very good; I've had surgery there, as have some of our friends. The interface with the private sector is very good and if you choose to go private you'll find the prices lower than in the UK by a lot!! Also private practitioners can issue IKA prescriptions and refer you to IKA facilities and vice versa. There are cultural differences but the service is very good. I hope this is useful. I'm conscious that some of it might be out of date - we did ours ten years ago. If you get into difficulties go to your local KEP - they can give you plenty of advice. Oh by the way IKA is not free. You'll pay 25% of most prescriptions, and you'll pay 10% for procedures like blood tests, scans etc. especially if you use a private facility. Some treatments are free - that includes chemo therapy for cancer. Surgery in a public hospital is also free.
Last edited by Al on Mon May 29, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon May 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Sory, I didn't mean to confuse. I was answering the question on the cost of health insurance and my purpose was to demonstrate that on routine operations it was not always beneficial to have it/use it, as the excess can be almost the cost of the operation.

As described above, IKA is available and my partner and I have it.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon May 29, 2017 12:39 pm

And I agree with Al, getting an IKA healthcare book is quite straight forward and the staff in both KEP offices and at IKA have always been helpful to me.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon May 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Al wrote:It's not particularly complicated. If you have an S1 form you need to take it, together with your passport and residence permit to your nearest IKA office, which will be busy as usual. They may tell you you'll need more documentation, ....
As Al says, it's not especially complicated but as for documentation I'd suggest you take every bit of paper you think you might need as it could avoid traipsing back and forth. Take your ΑΦΜ tax form and two or three Passport type photos as one will be attached to the IKA book and they might want one to keep on file. Take at least one copy of everything - Passport photo page - etc. - everything.

This sounds like overkill, and it may be. Sometimes staff at one desk will photocopy what they need and at the next desk they want copies you provide. If you're the one called to 'the next desk' you're stuck unless you have what is being requested. In any case, if you provide the copies it saves them time and effort and speeds up the process - a mood enhancer.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 pm

Yes it is very straightforward NOW for anybody with a UK State Pension BUT the original post is about what happens if Brexit results in the S1 procedure no longer working. The answer to that is, "Nobody knows". One possible oucome is that you can continue to live in Greece provided you have private medical insurance but another possible outcome is that you can't stay at all. All options are on the table.

Warwick

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Tue May 30, 2017 7:07 pm

Kilkis wrote:............... One possible oucome is that you can continue to live in Greece provided you have private medical insurance but another possible outcome is that you can't stay at all. All options are on the table.

Warwick

Yes this was the basis of the question.
I reach pension age next year and I certainly had not planned on this train wreck.
My only hope is that all those registered as resident in another EU country will keep all EU rights, in which case I shall be packing a bag, renting a room somewhere and getting registered ASAP.

I can't let myself believe that it will all end in tears .

BST

Postby BST » Wed May 31, 2017 10:20 am

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... e_btn_link

I guess this is on the conservative side??

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Wed May 31, 2017 11:06 am

Is it on the conservative side? Who knows? Which, like much of the talk since the referendum, illustrates what an incredibly irresponsible act calling the referendum in the first place was: asking people to decide on something which may or may not have immense consequences (particularly for those such as Crete resident Brits) without anyone knowing what those consequences are. History will judge Cameron's recklessness for what it is and there may, or may not, be fewer Brits in Crete in two years' time.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 31, 2017 2:32 pm

I don't think it will cost a single penny extra. If migrant workers have to leave the UK there will be nobody to provide healthcare to returnees or to about 1 million UK residents. The article fails to mention the thousands of foreign GPs currently providing primary healthcare. If they are forced to leave there is nobody to replace them nor the UK GPs approaching retirement age.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”