A video from the British Ambassador Kate Smith CMG aimed at Brits living in or visiting Greece

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.

paul g

Re: A video from the British Ambassador Kate Smith CMG aimed at Brits living in or visiting Greece

Postby paul g » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:50 am

She doesn't mention where you have to apply for this certificate of registration.

Kilkis

Re: A video from the British Ambassador Kate Smith CMG aimed at Brits living in or visiting Greece

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:26 am

As far as I can see you can only view it if you have a facebook account. When was the remit of the FCO changed so that they are only there to assist UK citizens who are facebook members?

As far as I know there are only two residence certificates available in Greece. One you are supposed to obtain if you intend to stay more than three months, although nothing happens if you don't. The other you can apply for once you have lived here more than five years and is described as "permanent". Both are described on the LiC main site. The meaning of "permanent" is not completely clear since both certificates apply to EU citizens so once the UK leaves the EU it is debatable whether it is still valid. It would be helpful if someone who has facebook membership could determine if she is referring to one of these or something different.

Incidentally proving you have lived here for five years is done through holding the ordinary certificate for five years. I had let my original Residence Permit, which was only valid for five years, expire and was told I couldn't apply for the permanent one. Eventually they relented and I got the permanent one.

Warwick

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:14 am

Kilkis wrote:As far as I can see you can only view it if you have a facebook account.

Dear Warwick if you click on the ''not now'' button (for signing in or registering) you can view it.

Stavros

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:36 am

Dear Warwick if you click on the ''not now'' button (for signing in or registering) you can view it.

Afraid it doesn't work for me, Stavros. Video just doesn't load.

incidentally proving you have lived here for five years is done through holding the ordinary certificate for five years. I had let my original Residence Permit, which was only valid for five years, expire and was told I couldn't apply for the permanent one.

My understanding from Carolina on this, Warwick, is that as the temporary permit is undated, it never expires and remains valid, although it is correct that this permit must be held for five years before you can apply for the permanent (blue) permit.

It seems a little pointless Ms Smith explaining a system that is about to be, one assumes, changed or abolished. It just muddies the waters more.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:28 pm

I don't get a "Not Now" option, Stavros. Just a "You must log in or join" message.

You are correct, Tim, the current certificate does not expire. I had the previous permit that was supposed to be renewed after five years but, because I never needed to use it, I forgot.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:00 pm

I have (reluctantly) a Facebook account, but this link just doesn't work. What a shambles. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:14 pm

it works fine for me , but it lacks any real content no new information .....

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Worked fine for me this morning. At the start there was a pop-up with options sign -in, join or no thanks. It was quite early this a.m. so I'm memory reliant but I think the pop-up left just the two options but closing that pop-up allowed playing the video which turned out to be pretty anodyne and uninformative.
I don't have a facebook or twitter account.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:59 pm

Perhaps the difference is because I'm currently stuck with using a tablet?

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:09 pm

I tried it using the native Android browser and it played OK. Total waste of time. No new information at all.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”