Any comments .

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Cundalini

Any comments .

Postby Cundalini » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:15 pm

Is Crete safe ? I thought they were talking more about ISIS in Libya actually! http://www.express.co.uk/travel/article ... vel-advice
Cundalini wants his hand back!

peebee

Re: Any comments .

Postby peebee » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:24 pm

`Terrorist attacks in Crete can't be ruled out' . . . . not likely, as the f*******s will be confronted by a lot of people wielding guns.

Phild

Postby Phild » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:26 pm

...it's the Express...

Is there any more to be said than that?
----
Phil
----

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:52 am

Phild wrote:...it's the Express...

You could add your words of wisdom ?

eddie foster

Postby eddie foster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:35 am

As with so many articles in the Express, it is best to read it in full before reacting to the headline. "Crete itself is considerably safer than other parts of Greece, such as Athens, where protests are regularly taking place across the city."

Phild

Postby Phild » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:15 am

Cundalini wrote:

OK - sorry, I assumed that most people would have the same outlook on the tabloids of today.

I grew up in a household where only the Express was available, because that was the only daily publication my parents bought. For years I believed what the Express published to be true. As I grew older, I found different sources of information, and I then realised that the output of the Express could be described in one word, and that word is "fearmongering".

Nowadays, along with the Mail and Sun, the Express is largely regarded as a right-wing propaganda publication, rather than a 'newspaper'. A generous proportion of right-wing propaganda uses 'fear' as a tool to orient the reader with the opinions of the publication.
(see this article for a description of the science behind this.)

Nowadays, if I read anything from one of these sources, I will (a) take it with a large pinch of salt, and if I care enough to need to (b) fact-check it with other more reliable sources.

As for Crete itself? I would count Crete as one of the safest places on the planet, where people are more likely to help you than anywhere in the UK - where you can safely live and holiday without fear of crime or terrorism, because Cretan people are some of the nicest and most human people I've ever met.

Sorry for my earlier brief post, but I had been commenting on the UK media elsewhere at the time, and forgot that more explanation would be required on LIC.
----

Phil

----

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Well said, Phil.

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Phild wrote:
Cundalini wrote:

OK - sorry, I assumed that most people would have the same outlook on the tabloids of today.

I grew up in a household where only the Express was available, because that was the only daily publication my parents bought. For years I believed what the Express published to be true. As I grew older, I found different sources of information, and I then realised that the output of the Express could be described in one word, and that word is "fearmongering".

Nowadays, along with the Mail and Sun, the Express is largely regarded as a right-wing propaganda publication, rather than a 'newspaper'. A generous proportion of right-wing propaganda uses 'fear' as a tool to orient the reader with the opinions of the publication.
(see this article for a description of the science behind this.)

Nowadays, if I read anything from one of these sources, I will (a) take it with a large pinch of salt, and if I care enough to need to (b) fact-check it with other more reliable sources.

As for Crete itself? I would count Crete as one of the safest places on the planet, where people are more likely to help you than anywhere in the UK - where you can safely live and holiday without fear of crime or terrorism, because Cretan people are some of the nicest and most human people I've ever met.

Sorry for my earlier brief post, but I had been commenting on the UK media elsewhere at the time, and forgot that more explanation would be required on LIC.

. I spent January and February in the Sougia ,Timbaki and Malata areas and saw no signs of military defences or military activities anywhere along the coast !Except for the occasional military fighter jet flying overhead.Most probably American. ISIS could come over from Libya and land on the south coast totally unopposed!
Last edited by Cundalini on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Write down a list of places in Europe where Islamic terrorist attacks have been carried out. Notice anything? They are predominantly big cities with a large Islamic population. Typically the people carrying out the attacks have been nationals of the country where it was carried out who have been radicalised by extreme Imams often in a local Madrasa. Now think about Crete:

1 The biggest cities would struggle to class as small towns in the UK.
    2 There is a very tiny islamic population.
    3 I am not sure there is a mosque let alone a Madrasa.
    4 Apart from Golden Dawn muslims are not particularly badly treated in Crete.

If you read the article it is treating Greek anarchists who frequently resort to violence, e.g. throwing molatove coktails at the police during anti-goverment protests as though they are islamic terrorists. Most of the article is actually about respecting local sensibilities and nothing to do with terrorism. Typical Daily Express. The content has no relationship to the content.

Nowhere in the world is immune from terrorist attacks. If I tried to rate the probability of an attack in different places starting with the most probable and working down, Crete would be around page 9,000.

Warwick

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:08 pm

[quote="Kilkis"]Write down a list of places in Europe where Islamic terrorist attacks have been carried out. Notice anything? They are predominantly big cities with a large Islamic population. Typically the people carrying out the attacks have been nationals of the country where it was carried out who have been radicalised by extreme Imams often in a local Madrasa. Now think about Crete:

1 The biggest cities would struggle to class as small towns in the UK.
    2 There is a very tiny islamic population.
    3 I am not sure there is a mosque let alone a Madrasa.
    4 Apart from Golden Dawn muslims are not particularly badly treated in Crete.

If you read the article it is treating Greek anarchists who frequently resort to violence, e.g. throwing molatove coktails at the police during anti-goverment protests as though they are islamic terrorists. Most of the article is actually about respecting local sensibilities and nothing to do with terrorism. Typical Daily Express. The content has no relationship to the content.

Nowhere in the world is immune from terrorist attacks. If I tried to rate the probability of an attack in different places starting with the most probable and working down, Crete would be around page 9,000.

Warwick[/quote invading from Libya ?
Last edited by Cundalini on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Can you provide information on the massive amada that ISIS has at their disposal in order to invade from Libya? Do you think Greece has no defense capability at all? Typically ISIS do not operate through invasion. They use social media and other means to radicalise local Muslims. The idea of ISIS mounting an attack on Crete's south coast from Libya is the most nonsensical thing I have heard in a long time. There is certainly a risk of radical islamic terrorists infiltrating Greece amongst refugees but that risk exists predominantly on eastern Aegean islands like Kos, Lesbos etc. If you are really worried about this possibility then you have a serious problem. There is nowhere in the world where you would feel safe.

Warwick

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Kilkis wrote:Can you provide information on the massive amada that ISIS has at their disposal in order to invade from Libya? Do you think Greece has no defense capability at all? Typically ISIS do not operate through invasion. They use social media and other means to radicalise local Muslims. The idea of ISIS mounting an attack on Crete's south coast from Libya is the most nonsensical thing I have heard in a long time. There is certainly a risk of radical islamic terrorists infiltrating Greece amongst refugees but that risk exists predominantly on eastern Aegean islands like Kos, Lesbos etc. If you are really worried about this possibility then you have a serious problem. There is nowhere in the world where you would feel safe.

Warwick
You`ll be apologising to me when it happens .and when it does I won`t gloat !

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Cundalini wrote:
Kilkis wrote:Can you provide information on the massive amada that ISIS has at their disposal in order to invade from Libya? Do you think Greece has no defense capability at all? ............................................ .................... If you are really worried about this possibility then you have a serious problem. There is nowhere in the world where you would feel safe.
Warwick

I suspect you're labouring under an illusion. Perhaps you should build a bunker under the Arctic ice as a bolthole.

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:31 pm

filippos wrote:
Cundalini wrote:
Kilkis wrote:Can you provide information on the massive amada that ISIS has at their disposal in order to invade from Libya? Do you think Greece has no defense capability at all? ............................................ .................... If you are really worried about this possibility then you have a serious problem. There is nowhere in the world where you would feel safe.
Warwick

I suspect you're labouring under an illusion. Perhaps you should build a bunker under the Arctic ice as a bolthole.

The blind Lady in Yugoslavia predicted it !
Last edited by Cundalini on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:32 pm

filippos wrote:...I suspect you're labouring under an illusion. Perhaps you should build a bunker under the Arctic ice as a bolthole.

...or under a bridge?

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”