A Heads Up About Car/Bike Insurance

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Paleo

A Heads Up About Car/Bike Insurance

Postby Paleo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 pm

This is just a "heads up" for anyone who has a vehicle that is off the road and is not insured....

I have an old motorcycle that, for the past 2 years or so has not been working. It is one of those things I never quite get round to fixing.
Anyway, I kept up the annual road tax on it as I was aware of mounting fines for not doing so and didn't want a shock when I either sold or scrapped it in the future.

I let the insurance lapse as I didn't see much point in paying it if the bike was not in a useable condition and would not be taken on the road.

last night I got a call from my accountant telling me that there is a new law. The tax office now identifies vehicles that are not insured...so I have to get it insured, sold or scrapped PDQ or face a €250 fine.

It's nice that the authorities are finding ways to make sure that vehicles have insurance but, if like me, you have a project bike or car, don't let the insurance lapse even if the vehicle is in bits and can not be driven.

Kilkis

Re: A Heads Up About Car/Bike Insurance

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:40 pm

You can turn in the plates and then you wouldn't need to tax or insure it. You can then get the plates back when you are ready to put it on the road again.

Warwick

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Wow...You can do that?

I had no idea that you could temporarily hand the plates in. Where do I do that in Chania, please?

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Further to the original post: I suddenly realised at the weekend that I hadn't paid my car insurance, due at the end of May. (It didn't help that the insurance company don't send demands and the broker had failed to make his usual reminder phone call).

No problem I thought: it's only a couple of weeks and there'll be a grace period. But it needed paying, so I set off this morning to the broker's office. I stopped off en route at the accountant to sort out a couple of things, and we were chatting about the Greek government's ever more fiendish schemes to raise money. "Take car insurance", said Manolis Accountant "They have just announced, out of the blue, that owners of all cars not insured on June 6th must pay a fine of 250 euros. And people cannot get insurance retrospectively - they can only get the car insured again when the fine is paid."

"They don't allow a certain period after the due date in which you can still pay?"

"No they stopped that last year. You must pay by the very day when the payment falls due. There is no appeal against this new fine, no reduction. And I'm afraid I can see, from the computer, that your car was not insured on June 6th so you will have to pay the fine".

So off I went not best pleased to Babis Broker who said weakly that yes, it was terrible, everyone was caught on the hop and there were lots like me....He seemed to think it was down to me to remember when to pay, not to him to remind me, so he is now Babis ex-Broker.

Not entirely sure where to go next, especially as there are murmurings locally regarding cases where dates have been changed on insurance certificates and premiums pocketed. I'm sure everyone reading this is much too canny to fall victim to such dodgy dealings, and that you all have squeaky clean up-to-date insurance, but your accountant will be able to check instantly that that is the case....

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Seems like it is another example of the vicious circle of mis-trust between state and populus here.

Your average Manolis or Yiannis will cough up the €250 with a few choice swear words and resolve to cheat the money back somehow during the tax year. Nobody wins and the futile battle continues.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:17 pm

Clio wrote:...Not entirely sure where to go next, especially as there are murmurings locally regarding cases where dates have been changed on insurance certificates and premiums pocketed...

Bad luck Clio. I've found ATE pretty reliable. There is an office in Rethymno, just scroll down the page:

Διεύθυνση: Λ. ΣΤΑΜΑΘΙΟΥΔΑΚΗ 30 Τ.Κ.: 741 00
Τηλέφωνα: 28310 26485, 53963
FAX: 28310 26486

It's on the main coastal road just due south of what looks like a big open air swimming pool. It's on the right hand side of the road as you drive from west to east and has a pretty big sign outside with the ATE logo. There's another office at ΔΗΜΟΣ ΜΥΛΟΠΟΤΑΜΟΥ but I am not sure exactly where it is. I would guess the one in the city is the best bet.

I pay mine using my credit card and they simply bill it directly each year. They send me a statement about two weeks before they bill it so I know what to expect and it gives me time to react if I don't like it. I think it is a reliable company. It is now part of ERGO Group and is underwritten by Munich Re so I wouldn't expect any dodgy dealings.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Cheers Warwick. Had actually planned to head to ATE.

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:00 am

Further to this issue, I have been trying to find out what you need to do if you want to take a vehicle off the road and put it back on later.

As far as I can tell, you need:
1. The vehicle circulation document (green registration card)
2. The number plates
3. Photocopy of a tax return/statement
4. Receipt to prove that you have paid the current road tax
5. A delosi stating that you have a place to park the vehicle. If you are parking it at another location or the house is not in your name, you will need a second delosi from the person who owns the property stating that they agree to the vehicle being parked at their property.

Apparently, the period that you can have the vehicle off the road has been increased from 12 months to "indefinite". To get the plates back you will have to pay for a year's road tax.

I don't know where this is all done. Maybe the tax office, maybe a special office elsewhere. If anyone knows, please chime in.

In fact, if anyone has any further experience of the process, please correct me as some of this information may be out of date.

Also, does anyone know if it is possible to sell a vehicle while it is off the road?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:13 am

In Chania there is an office that deals with everything vehicular related, e.g. driving tests, driving licences, vehicle registration, change of ownership etc. It is at 35°29' 43.21"N 24° 1' 51.28"E off the road from central Chania to Souda. Vehicle registration is at the far end of the first building on the left as you go through the gates. I would guess that would be a good place to start or an equivalent office near to you. KEP should be able to advise you.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:39 am

Perhaps it is better to wait before paying the fine or perhaps it isn't. The usual high level of clarity that we have come to expect from Greek governments.

Warwick

Paleo

Postby Paleo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:35 pm

My accountant told me to do nothing until the end of the month and see how it all pans out.

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:14 am

The latest news is that people who will insure their vehicles until the 14th of July will avoid the fine, while those who have already paid it will get a refund (!). Nothing official still though, fingers crossed....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 am

Stavros wrote:The latest news is that people who will insure their vehicles until the 14th of July will avoid the fine, while those who have already paid it will get a refund (!). Nothing official still though, fingers crossed....

Thanks, Stavros. Article in ekathimerini here. I wonder if that also suggests that they are going to extend the deadline for tax submission to 14 July but aren't telling anybody as suggested in another ekathimerini article a few days ago?

Warwick

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:24 am

Kilkis wrote:
Stavros wrote:The latest news is that people who will insure their vehicles until the 14th of July will avoid the fine, while those who have already paid it will get a refund (!). Nothing official still though, fingers crossed....

Thanks, Stavros. Article in ekathimerini here. I wonder if that also suggests that they are going to extend the deadline for tax submission to 14 July but aren't telling anybody as suggested in another ekathimerini article a few days ago?

Warwick

That might well be the case dear Warwick, let's see...

Return to “General Discussion & News”