How to dispose of books?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
jane clayton

How to dispose of books?

Postby jane clayton » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:47 pm

We have four or five large 'Jumbo' bags full of books, written in English. The majority are fiction -classics, crime and travel but a few are big 'coffee table' hardbacks. Ideas please for disposal, second-hand shop in Hania has too many. Thanks.

filippos

Re: How to dispose of books?

Postby filippos » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Go to a table top sale* (or sales) and donate takings to Social Supermarket or other charity
    There's a lending library for residents and tourists at Api Corno, Kalyves (although they may be overstocked)
    There's a similar library at the Almyrida Beach Hotel
*A new one started in Kalyves at 'O Gyalos' taverna a couple of weeks or so ago - alternate Sundays (table money goes to Soc. S/market)
There's at least one other in Apokoronas.

KateD

Postby KateD » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Also a 'library' at Francine's in Almyrida

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:34 am

jane clayton wrote:We have four or five large 'Jumbo' bags full of books, written in English. The majority are fiction -classics, crime and travel but a few are big 'coffee table' hardbacks. Ideas please for disposal, second-hand shop in Hania has too many. Thanks.

The Sarah's Hope library at Almyrida Beach Hotel is pretty well stocked just now, but could take one of the bags off your hands Jane. Not coffee table books though. Just put them on one of the two shelves marked for Returned Books and we will incorporate them into the stock.

Which second hand shop is full? Το Παζάρη is not our favourite; there is also Vintage Rose just down from Το Παζάρη (1st right turn after the square with the church and minaret and then it's about 50m down on the left). The other we know of is the one that used to be run by Angela (near the bus station in Chania, on the road leading to the main OTE building). It is now run by a Greek couple but they do take books.
Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

jane clayton

Postby jane clayton » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Vintage Rose is the one that couldn't take the books just now, haven't tried the others recently. Perhaps so many people are reading ebooks there isn't the demand?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:27 pm

I think everybody simply has tons of books. I've got about 500 I think. It was about 350 a few years ago. I'd happily let a large number be sold to raise money for something like the Social Supermarket or any other charity but I'm not prepared to stand there myself and sell them. Car-boot/table-top sales rate several levels below the ninth circle of Dante's hell as far as I am concerned. Even the promise of a bacon batch and a pint of real ale couldn't tempt me and you have no idea how hard it is just to type that.

Warwick

jane clayton

Postby jane clayton » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 am

Exactly why we've posted the question!

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:47 am

I read posts on this site often. Warwick is always a font of knowledge and most often with humour. This last one, I almost spat out my sip of tea! It's a shame there isn't a like button, so I just had to write and say thanks for the laugh :lol:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:27 am

Disclaimer:

The management does not accept responsibility for any damage, direct or indirect, caused as a result of reading these posts.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:54 pm

jane clayton wrote:Vintage Rose is the one that couldn't take the books just now, haven't tried the others recently. Perhaps so many people are reading ebooks there isn't the demand?

The offer still stands for Almyrida Beach Hotel Jane. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:33 pm

jane clayton wrote:We have four or five large 'Jumbo' bags full of books, written in English. The majority are fiction -classics, crime and travel but a few are big 'coffee table' hardbacks. Ideas please for disposal, second-hand shop in Hania has too many. Thanks.

I would take some off your hands and bung you a few Euros . Always looking for English books !
Cundalini wants his hand back!

jane clayton

Postby jane clayton » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:07 am

Send a pm saying how to contact you etc and you can have a look before we make the trek to Almerida.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:23 pm

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the "Library Taverna" in Likotinará collects books. 8)
(It's the village after Litsarda, home of "Greengibble", English food shop.)

Also - just a thought - you might find that a local school will be glad of them. Most Greek parents are desperate for their children to learn English.

Martin

Cundalini

Postby Cundalini » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:09 am

jane clayton wrote:Send a pm saying how to contact you etc and you can have a look before we make the trek to Almerida.

Sorry missed post or was not notified.Are you still in the chania area?
Cundalini wants his hand back!

jane clayton

Postby jane clayton » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:27 am

Sent you a pm

Return to “General Discussion & News”