Water Supply

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
P&B

Water Supply

Postby P&B » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:08 pm

I have identified a piece of land in the Apokoronas area that I am considering purchasing. I am aware that the cost of connecting utilities to the land can get expensive. I can see electricity pylons approx 150 meters away adjacent to the nearest property. I can also see agricultural water adjacent to the land and several irrigation systems utilising this water supply.

I would like to find out how far the domestic water supply is from the piece of land. The estate agent assures me it is 'close by' but I would like to get a definitive answer.

Can anyone advise whom I would need to contact to get an answer to my question. Would this be the DEYA office (if such a thing exists) or would I need to go to the KEP office to get some direction on my question?

Any advice appreciated.

Kilkis

Re: Water Supply

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:29 pm

I doubt if KEP will be able to answer your question BUT they should be able to tell you which DEYA office to go to to get the answer. I would also think that the distance to the nearest occupied house should give you a clue. They will probably have domestic water.

Are the "pylons" you can see 150 m away low voltage electricity? I tend to use the word "pylon" to mean the large metal lattice structures. Those typically carry 240 kV or 100 kV*. Those are no use to you at all. There are also wooden poles with cross pieces forming Ts with three wires running along the top spread across the cross piece. Those typically carry 15 kV. That could be used to supply you but you would need to pay for a transformer that would be expensive on top of the 4 poles needed to reach you. Low voltage, i.e. 230 V is carried in a thick bundle of cables on wooden poles with no cross pieces. If you can see those 150 m away you would only pay for the 4 poles to reach your property. I believe the maximum span now is 40 m.

You don't mention telephone. I am told that connecting a new land line is now quite expensive. OTE charge by the metre. Can you see any telephone lines near you? They are carried on shorter poles than the electricity cables with a relatively thin bundle of wires. Also you need to find out the state of the local lines. Some are incapable of supporting broadband. Finally you need to find out if there is any spare capacity in the nearest exchange.

Warwick

* In the UK you can recognise the voltage rating of the high voltage lines by the number of physical cables on each phase. If there is a single cable then it is normally 100 kV. If there are two cables per phase held apart by spacers then it is normally 240 kV. If there are four cables per phase held apart by spacers then it is normally 400 kV. I presume the same design criteria are used in Greece since it relates to current capacity and avoiding Corona Discharge.

P&B

Postby P&B » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:25 pm

My mistake, I meant wooden poles rather than pylons and from memory they were providing 230v.

The telephone lines are a little further away, perhaps 250 meters, and I have been informed that OTE would not run the line to the land meaning I'd need to access the internet via satellite.

The estate agent tells me that the domestic water is 'close by' and that I would only need to pay a connection charge of approx 300 Euro. Whilst I can see agricultural water is indeed close by, I am not convinced that the domestic water is also there. Like you Warwick, I suspect the domestic water could be 150 metres away at the nearest house.

I guess it is possible that when the agricultural water was installed that the domestic water pipes were laid in the same channels that were dug but I'd like to get clarification as I expect the cost of installing domestic water across the 150 meters would be a good few grand. The problem I have is that I don't really know how to get my question answered.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:31 pm

P&B wrote:...The problem I have is that I don't really know how to get my question answered.

I would guess that only the DEYA responsible for that particular supply can answer your question but KEP should be able to tell you where to go to get that answer.

Warwick

P&B

Postby P&B » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:03 pm

There is some information on the Living In Crete website about water supply (http://www.livingincrete.net/utilities.html) which says "Water is supplied by the local councils and there are water board offices in each local council area".

Is the water board office where one would go to pay their water bill? Does anyone know where the nearest water board office is to Kalyves?

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:25 pm

We paid our most recent domestic water bill in Kalyves but when we had a problem a couple of years ago we were shunted off to Vrises town hall.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:33 am

[quote="filippos"]We paid our most recent domestic water bill in Kalyves but when we had a problem a couple of years ago we were shunted off to Vrises town hall.[/quote

Funnily enough Phil, I went to vrysses to tell them of the change of ownership of the water meter for what was our house before we sold, and they said I must go to Vamos and do the business! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 pm

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:52 pm

P&B wrote:The telephone lines are a little further away, perhaps 250 meters, and I have been informed that OTE would not run the line to the land

Just for information:-

A friend had the same response from OTE. He got permission from his neighbours to run his own cable along their walls, from his house to the nearest pole. OTE then cheerfully connected his cable to a spare line pair.

(I admit that this solution is rarely practical but I'm mentioning it, here, because nobody would guess that it's even an option!)

Notes:
You must check with OTE that a spare line pair is available at the pole.
You must use proper, black, outdoor "twisted pair"* cable. (If you use ordinary "alarm cable" it won't work well, if at all.)
You will be responsible for any faults occurring in your cable.
(Weasels love to chew cable so I would run it inside sections of black plastic water pipe, which are each short enough to pull the cable through. Don't forget to thread a pipe joint over the cable before threading the next pipe. Use plenty of talcum powder to reduce friction.)

*This is normally used to connect from your house to the nearest pole. It incorporates a steel catenary but is available (in the UK) without.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:45 pm

SatCure wrote:
P&B wrote:The telephone lines are a little further away, perhaps 250 meters, and I have been informed that OTE would not run the line to the land

Just for information:-

A friend had the same response from OTE. He got permission from his neighbours to run his own cable along their walls, from his house to the nearest pole. OTE then cheerfully connected his cable to a spare line pair.

(I admit that this solution is rarely practical but I'm mentioning it, here, because nobody would guess that it's even an option!)

Notes:
You must check with OTE that a spare line pair is available at the pole.
You must use proper, black, outdoor "twisted pair"* cable. (If you use ordinary "alarm cable" it won't work well, if at all.)
You will be responsible for any faults occurring in your cable.
(Weasels love to chew cable so I would run it inside sections of black plastic water pipe, which are each short enough to pull the cable through. Don't forget to thread a pipe joint over the cable before threading the next pipe. Use plenty of talcum powder to reduce friction.)

*This is normally used to connect from your house to the nearest pole. It incorporates a steel catenary but is available (in the UK) without.

What the *** is going on with OTE? I've now heard of three examples where they have refused to run a line, to houses that are perfectly accessible by all previous standards. Something has changed. What exactly are they trying to achieve by refusing to take on new customers in this way?

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Return to “General Discussion & News”