Property size

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Sinkingslowly

Property size

Postby Sinkingslowly » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:04 pm

I've been looking at several estate agents adverts for older properties and I have a question for you people with more experience.

Is there a formula or agreed set of rules defining the square meterage of a property?

For example if a house is advertised as 100 sq m would that include storage areas, outbuildings etc or only the habitable parts of the house.

When we lived in Germany there were very strict codes on things like ceiling height and window area without which the room in question wouldn't be considered habitable.

Now I know that estate agents are minions of Satan and that they have their own circle of hell but hopefully they have to obey some rules while manifested on the earthly plane.

Dave

Kilkis

Re: Property size

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:25 pm

It is fairly normal to quote the area that appears on the bill for property tax but I wouldn't guarantee that all estate agents behave the same. That area is measured at the outside extreme of the walls, not the habitable area inside the house, and includes store rooms and even covered balconies if they have a tiled roof. Effectively for a single storey house it is the land area covered by the building. Typically when a builder quotes a price per sqm to build a house for you it will also be multiplied by this external area to get the total cost

As an example my property is 110 sqm and I know of one property that is advertised for sale that is certainly smaller than mine but it is described as 120 sqm. I would ask for a floor plan giving internal dimensions.

Warwick

PS Can you explain this concept of "strict codes".

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:06 am

It's a while ago now (2004) but when we decided to build a holiday apartment alongside our house we were informed that measurements were different for stone built houses and concrete frame properties. We were told that if we had a stone-built apartment of 100m² the allowance was that size internally; if we built a concrete frame apartment of 100m² that would have to be according to external measurements.
Our stone built house was designated 117m² which I checked and that was the internal space. The concrete frame apartment had to be built to xm² according to external measurements

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:56 pm

Kilkis wrote:PS Can you explain this concept of "strict codes".

This is from memory and things may be different now.

If a 2 story house was advertised as 100sqm then that was the internal area defined by the German building codes as habitable space.
The house could have a full multi room cellar but this would not be part of the 100sqm as it was not habitable (unless there were windows which made up a minimum percentage of wall area ).
If the upper floor had sloping ceilings due to the angle of the roof then any floor area with less than 1.5m (I think) would not be part of the 100sqm as it was not habitable space.
My memory is failing but I think there was some ruling that not all of the bathroom or kitchen space could be classed as habitable but I'm unsure abut that.

Unlike UK where you can describe a one car garage as a bijou studio apartment, Germany has strong views about what makes up living space.

BST

Postby BST » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:14 pm

Having built a part stone house according to the internal size rule we later had to legalise it as they had changed it to the external size!!!! You were right about 2004 fillipos but not now. A good little extra money earner!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:58 am

It would be interesting to know when the rule changed, BST. My late wife and I looked at a wide range of properties, from one end of Crete to the other, in late September 2004. They were all two bedroom, two bathroom and about 100 sqm. We were shown one stone built property that was under construction on the coast not far from Kounoupidiana. I asked the agent if it was really 100 sqm since it seemed to be a lot smaller than other properties we had visited. He explained that the 100 sqm referred to the outside dimensions and stone built houses had much thicker walls so it was smaller inside. That was when I first discovered that the dimensions were external. Either the building code had already changed by then or the builder was simply using the outside dimension in advertising because it sounded bigger.

Sorry, Sinkingslowly, my question was facetious. I worked with several German organisations back in the day and the impression I formed of the German psyche was, "There must be a rule for everything and all rules must be obeyed at all times". The Greek psyche runs more along the line, "You can make whatever rules you like but you needn't think that I am going to take any notice of them". When a civil engineer once said to me that 95 % of properties in Greece are illegal in some way his colleague said, "That's nonsense! It's 99 %". Don't expect codes to protect you.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:10 am

Kilkis wrote:.......Sorry, Sinkingslowly, my question was facetious.
:lol: :lol:

Andrew
"It's all in the implementation"

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Kilkis wrote:
Sorry, Sinkingslowly, my question was facetious.

Warwick

Guess I should have noticed that.

:D

Return to “General Discussion & News”