Pine Tree Removal/Pruning

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Pine Tree Removal/Pruning

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:40 pm

A friend who reads LiC but isn't a member asked me to post this query.

Does anybody know the legal situation regarding the removal or major pruning of pine trees? Better still do they know where in the Chania area you can go to get a definitive answer and/or permission, if that is necessary.

Warwick

filippos

Re: Pine Tree Removal/Pruning

Postby filippos » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:55 pm

We have a Greek friend who owns a plot partly designated as forestry and he investigated what could and could not be done. If you can provide more information about the situation of your friends plot I'll see if I can gather some info that may help. That said, I'd have thought the forestry service (whatever its official name) would be a good starting point.

I understand some developers who want to have forestry land re-designated skulk about with cans of flammable liquid and matches.

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:05 am

Yes, permission is required for removal, also, theoretically for pruning.
Ths architect who built our house had to apply for, and was given, permission to remove any tree that was in the way of the house, but not for the very many others on the plot.
I would have thought the local KEP office would be a good start.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:01 am

Thanks Eleni and Filippos. I agree KEP would probably be a good starting point but they asked me to put a query on LiC to see if anybody had direct experience.

The land has full planning permission for a house that was completed some 8 years ago so they don't want to remove trees in order to build. The trees, which form part of the garden and front onto a minor dead end road, have become badly overgrown so their plan is to thin out the area by removing about 5 trees, some of which are offshoots of larger trees, leaving behind some 6 or 7 trees that have grown very tall. The density of the trees at present stops the growth of plants and shrubs at ground level.

The trees on an adjacent plot were removed about 4 years ago, legally or otherwise? They do not want to use the land for any other purpose, other than to plant some shrubs around the trees, and they don't want to remove all the trees just open the area up a bit.

Warwick

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:16 am

All of which makes perfect sense. The official answer would still be to obtain permission. On the other hand, the local village advice would be to do it without. Pruning to preserve or make safe the tree might pass unnoticed, but a complete tree or two missing could provoke a reaction from anyone who thought he or she had a grievance. We have been in exactly that situation and have pruned for safety reasons, but not taken down an entire tree. Tree surgeons are reluctant to do that without a permit.In our case, we were rescued by Zeus or Poseidon, and a severe gale demolished the weaklings. A risky course of action.

Return to “General Discussion & News”