Hello, and a quick question about living costs

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
SPDL

Hello, and a quick question about living costs

Postby SPDL » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:03 am

G'day all,

This is my first post here (though I've been lurking for a while), so allow me to introduce myself. I'm Sean, and my wife and I are planning to move from London to Crete. We've both been learning Greek very intensively for a bit over a year, and we can already more or less get by in basic Greek, although we are aiming for full fluency over time. We've travelled extensively all over the Mediterranean and love its peoples and cultures, but have fallen head over heels for Crete, the southwest in particular. We both grew up in Melbourne around loads of Greeks (and Italians, and Lebanese, and Maltese), so we've always had a soft spot for Greek people, culture, food and language.

Having said that, we're well aware of the challenges we're likely to face when moving (especially the bureaucratic ones). Fortunately I've got dual Irish/British citizenship, so Brexit isn't one of them. We have spent time in Crete out of season and know that it's not always summer there.

We initially thought we'd move in a few years' time. However, there's a small chance that we might be able to pick up remote work, based out of the UK, towards the end of the year. Before I go handing in my notice or anything too drastic, I just wanted to make sure I've got my sums more or less right (I have been looking over older posts about living costs). We don't have kids, we're in our late 30s and we're not big spenders.

So, here's what we're planning to do:

Rent somewhere modest, inland, in the southwest, ie, maybe a 2-bed in Kandanos or a nearby village
Run one small car and one scooter
Take out basic private medical insurance for both of us
Have a decent internet connection (this is *really* important)
Keep a couple of pets
Both have mobiles
Maybe eat out once a week

I know everyone is different, and that it's hard to provide estimates like this, but what do you think would be a very rough ballpark figure we'd need to sustain that sort of lifestyle, once we've moved and settled in and bought a car etc? Around £20,000 P/A net? Or a bit more?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated! I'll try not to spam you all with too many newbie questions as our plans take shape ;-)
Sean

peebee

Re: Hello, and a quick question about living costs

Postby peebee » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:09 pm

SPDL wrote: Around £20,000 P/A net? Or a bit more ?

You could live very well on that much Sean

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:43 pm

I know people who live on a basic UK State Pension and that is a lot less than €20,000 per annum. They do own their own houses so have no rent to pay and have a bit of capital to cover emergencies.

Warwick

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi, I would say you could live nicely on about £4000 less than that. We do. :D

SPDL

Postby SPDL » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks so much for your responses!

That's about what we thought, but we did want to make sure, because doing this would mean taking a substantial pay cut, and £20k for two people doesn't go very far in London at all (or Melbourne or Dublin, for that matter). So it is a little bit intimidating in some ways! Half the people we've talked to think we're absolutely insane for wanting to pack in two fairly well-paid jobs to go off to live in the Cretan countryside; the other half have been very supportive.

I don't think we'd have enough initially to buy a house outright, but we should have enough savings to tide us through for some time if we hit a rough patch or needed money for emergencies.

Return to “General Discussion & News”