Getting an MOT for a car here in Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Polyanna

Getting an MOT for a car here in Crete

Postby Polyanna » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:28 pm

Apologies if this has all been dealt with before! We bought our car new when we moved here nearly four years ago. We have been told that it needs the equivalent of an MOT certificate once it is three years old, but when we took it to the local MOT station (Chania) they laughed and said it was much too new for them to be bothering with it.
Friends have told us that we can get an official form which gives us dispensation from having an MOT if we get stopped by the police. But apparently this only applies if we stay inside the Chania region. What happens if we want to travel to the other regions, the mainland or - God forbid - the UK?

jeansy

Postby jeansy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi polyana,
I believe the rules on the mot are you must put vehicle through a test after 3 yrs then every 2 years. I live in the Iraklion area and we use the I-KTEO stations just pull in show your log book and passport and they will normally do it straight away, if they decide it is not due they will normally take your phone number and give you a call when it is due. They will also give you a form for the police stating the date your car will be calld in. It is worth going to one of these stations as the fine for no mot can be up to 600.00 euro.

paul

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:10 pm

As Paul says, a new certificate is required every two years - a new EU Directive apparently to be applied in the UK, too, where it's currently an annual check.

People at the government testing stations do tend to laugh if you take a vehicle before they think the test is due [so do KEP office staff as I discovered last year]. As Paul suggests if you go to one of the private testing stations [I-KTEO] they'll do the test more or less right away - although in Xania area it seems you may need to make an appointment but I've been told you can strike lucky and have it done immediately if you turn up when they aren't busy.

PS Various safety organisations in the UK are up in arms saying, logically enough, that replacing the annual test with a two yearly one is likely to have a bad effect on accident statistics.

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:59 pm

filippos wrote:PS Various safety organisations in the UK are up in arms saying, logically enough, that replacing the annual test with a two yearly one is likely to have a bad effect on accident statistics.

These "various safety organisations" really get up my nose!

In the UK the MOT test was first introduced after much lobbying by the car manufacturers who wanted to sell more new cars. The effect on the accident statistics was negligible! Similarly the minimum tyre tread regulations were brought in after the tyre manufacturers lobbying.

I am starting a campaign to make the wearing of lifejackets compulsory in cars. In the UK more people drown in cars than in boating accidents. To use the Zealots phrase "if it saves one life it will be worth it".

Double the number of people killed on the roads die as a result of hospital aquired infections, yet little seems to be being done to rectify this.

John

PS Apologies if this is slightly "off topic".

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:13 pm

Slightly off topic too but I think the original question has been comprehensively answered so...

It has always seemed strange to me that if cigarette packets have to carry a big health warning because they can kill, why don't cars have to carry a similar warning. Given recent proposals maybe certain types of car should not be on display too.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:08 pm

Unless things have changed, I believe the KTEO test in Greece is due after FOUR years not three. That is probably why you were told you were too soon. It is then due every two years.

Initially IKTEO, the private equivalent of the KTEO test centres were little used. Now they seem to be very busy. When I went in last August the car park was empty and they offered to do mine immediately. Recently, when I drive past the same centre, near Champion in Chania, they seem very busy so I think it would be wise to make an appointment.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:00 pm

Retired in Crete wrote:In the UK the MOT test was first introduced after much lobbying by the car manufacturers who wanted to sell more new cars.
Much of the lobbying now is, of course, not coming from 'safety organisations' but the MOT test centres who face the prospect of their income being halved. I suppose the fees will just double to compensate.

andheath

Postby andheath » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:16 pm

The MOT is one of the biggest rip offs ever introduced especially the "let us fix it and no charge for the re-test" bit.

Think about it!!!!

The driving examiner says "you have failed but let me charge you for 6 extra private lessons and I will test you again for free".

The examination board says "You have been awarded a B but if you pay us for a bit of extra coaching it could be an A"

What a load of Bollocks

MOT Caravans, now that is a good idea.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:45 pm

I used to take my car to the garage for an annual service a couple of days before its MoT test was due.

Later they would 'phone, "Your car's ready." "Sorry, can't come today, I'll collect it in the morning. What's the total bill?"

Next morning 'phone garage, "I just realised the MoT is due so I'll drop the old certificate in on my way to work and pick up the car this evening." It had to pass or they admit to a crap service.

Return to “General Discussion & News”