moving to kolymbari

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
nickw

moving to kolymbari

Postby nickw » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi all, I have bought some land and will be building my new home in kolymbari once planning comes back, hope to be in next august, just wondered if any expats already living in kolymbari?
thanks
nick

moggieman

Re: moving to kolymbari

Postby moggieman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:28 pm

You hope to be in next year ???? Very clear you haven't got used to the Greek system yet, maybe 2019. IF you're very lucky.

nickw

Postby nickw » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:34 pm

I am very familiar with the Greek system fortunately! I will be in next year, my Greek friends are building it and having watched them build numerous villas and a hotel and watched them navigate planning etc I am reasonably confident.
I am fully registered and my Greek lawyer has power of attorney and I am very close to the process, I will be moved in next august even if a bad winter leaves me in a tent waiting for it to be finished!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:54 pm

I'm not as pessimistic as Moggieman but from experience I would allow for 1 year from getting the building permission. If you haven't got that yet then August 2018 might be a bit optimistic.

Warwick

nickw

Postby nickw » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:02 pm

thanks warwick,,
to be honest I cant move permanently until jan 19 so will be flying backwards and forwards if it is finished in august but no great shakes if its a little longer, I do 5 or 6 lengthy trips a year and stay with greek friends in maleme so worse case scenario I watch the build for longer, not a huge problem....I heard last time I was there that a few expats use a hotel bar in kolymbari but not seen any on here as yet

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:13 pm

nickw wrote:...I heard last time I was there that a few expats use a hotel bar in kolymbari but not seen any on here as yet...

I can't help you with that one Nick. I don't live in Kolymbari but if I want to eat fish I either use Nikofaros in Kolymbari or Aposteli in Chania. Argentina, next to Nikofaros, also own some very good fresh fish shops in the Chania Nomos that I use on regular basis but when it comes to the Taverna I prefer Nikofaros. The only bar I have used is further along the promenade from Nikofaros. The last time I was in that bar they were very busy and hadn't got the foggiest idea what they were doing. Good luck with your build. A Greek friend once told me that the two most stressful things in life were marrying off your daughter and building a house.

Warwick

nickw

Postby nickw » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:50 pm

yes stress and chaos, and that's even my greek friends that have now built 10 villas and a 30 bed luxury hotel! I have my eyes open and a large tin hat, I remember getting my tax number was stressful enough and that's the easiest bit! I can put up with chaos and stress as long as that doesn't extend too much to massive over runs on the build budget! yes I like argentina too and dictina, not been to the bar you mention but I will check it out in September when next over, thanks for that
nick

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:20 am

Hi Nicky, We have lived happily in a Minoan Homes build for the last 12 years in the Darmarohori area of Kolymbari, Nicko`s is good also Georges Arhontiko in Gerani is good as well and very reasonable prices for Glossa and chips, good luck with your builder and build, is it concrete rebar skeleton, and brick or stone, our build is in a farming area called Murie locally just 2 holiday homes and us permanent lifelong residents over looking the harbour area of Kolymbari... :D
Dave H

nickw

Postby nickw » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:16 pm

hi dave
thanks for that, its a mixture of stone and render (or similar to render its a new material) and is 580m from the sea officially, in kolymbari itself about 5 minutes walk down to the harbour or quicker to the beach with great views, was looking for the right house or land for 3 years so really happy to have finally settled on something! know the places you mention, just wonmdered if there was any social get togethers in kolymbari itself as whilst I know some expats in tavronitis up the road I haven't met any in kolymbari....

moved 2 crete

Postby moved 2 crete » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:29 pm

Thanks for the reply Nickw, there is no group as yet that I know of but PM me to arrange a meet if you can when convenient for you and we can see what can be arranged, I get the impression you are on the ball with the building game, and we can exchange contacts here, over our 12 years we have developed a good catalogue of good and bad tradesmen men...
Dave H

Return to “General Discussion & News”