Sad situation reported by the Guardian

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
filippos

Sad situation reported by the Guardian

Postby filippos » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Kilkis

Re: Sad situation reported by the Guardian

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:03 pm

I think the sad thing is that you begin to realise that every government in the world has to say that it's getting better. If they admit it's getting worse then they are the government responsible for it getting worse and no government can admit to that. What they say is irrelevant. What happens in people's lives is the only thing that is important and I think the Guardian report is a pretty reasonable description of that. You can't even write it off as ultra-right-wing media trying to trash a left wing government.

Warwick

Maud

Re: Sad situation reported by the Guardian

Postby Maud » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:36 pm

Helena Smith is a friend of a friend of mine. (Also a journalist in Athens). It is a good, accurate, article and worth a read.

Life in Athens for many is really tough. Not enough money to pay for heating during the recent cold winter, no money to use their air conditioning this summer, no money to buy fuel.....therefore no family outings for the children to the beach, Greeks queuing at food banks. Every day is a struggle for many. Life on Kriti, especially in Iraklio, can be tough for those who are struggling financially, but many here in the countryside have land to grow vegetables and keep animals. As my friend pointed out the other day....you can't grow much in a windowbox in Athens!

Return to “General Discussion & News”